Jesus is Love and He is Faithful
May 22, 2008
✟8,551.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
What is your take on this scripture?

Philippians 1:18 (NLT) But that doesn’t matter. Whether their motives are false or genuine, the message about Christ is being preached either way, so I rejoice. And I will continue to rejoice.

Philippians 1:18 (KJV) What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think the correlating verse to this is Isaiah 55:11.

NKJV
Isaiah 55:11, So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to me void, but it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.

So no matter what spin someone may place onto what God has said, God has said that it will accomplish what He wants it to accomplish. There maybe differing motives of those who speak the word of God, but the power does not lie with the speaker but the author.

It's the Holy Spirit who convicts the world of sin, we don't, we only relay the message and send his word forth.

Also, If Christ was being talked about to people who had never heard of Him before, Paul found reason to rejoice. Paul didn't care about himself. He was single in his focus on the advancement of the kingdom. People couldn't believe on Jesus if they hadn't heard of Him and what He had accomplished. So, regardless of the motive, Paul rejoiced that the details of Christ's death and resurrection were being proclaimed.

Upvote 0
T

The Weaker Brother

Philippians 1:18 (NLT) But that doesn’t matter. Whether their motives are false or genuine, the message about Christ is being preached either way, so I rejoice. And I will continue to rejoice.

Philippians 1:18 (KJV) What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.
:o

Upvote 0

PETE_

Count as lost, every moment not spent loving God
Jun 11, 2006
✟212,561.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
There were two different groups preaching the gospel. Some preached Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others preached Him out of good will. Those who preached out of good will did so in love, knowing that Paul was in chains because of his defense of the gospel.
The group that preached Christ out of envy and rivalry did so for selfish reasons. They purposely wanted to stir up trouble for Paul while he was in prison. They were probably not Judaizers because Paul said they were preaching Christ. Paul had sternly rebuked them as preachers of “a different gospel”. Since he did not accuse these in Philippi of presenting “another gospel,” it seems that they were believers who for some unknown reason did not love the apostle or appreciate his work. Though they were doctrinally sound, they promoted themselves.
What rejoiced Paul’s heart was that Christ was being preached. Since the content of the preaching was the same for both groups, the apostle could rejoice.​

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The Gospel of Christ when preached has the power to save, no matter the person or motive.

Upvote 0

Faithful Love

Jesus is Love and He is Faithful
May 22, 2008
✟8,551.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
The Gospel of Christ when preached has the power to save, no matter the person or motive.

Yes, that's what I have always believed.

It is interesting, in light of all the revival criticism, that this scripture seems to be overlooked.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

It is interesting, in light of all the revival criticism, that this scripture seems to be overlooked.
It's not over looked by me.

Upvote 0

BenAdam

Pirate King
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2006
Tortuga
✟51,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Who has overlooked it? That is awefully presumptious to say. I rejoice that Jesus is being taught, doesn't excuse people from error though.

Reactions: youthwalk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nothing wrong was said or Paul would have let them have it. Like "I wish they would just cut it off."
lol,yup gal 5;12 a good verse to remember,when saints think other Christians cant get mad....unless Paul was feeling all soft and cushy,when he said that verse..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It says in 2 Timothy 3 that in the last days evil will wax worse and worse with men seducing, deceiving, and being deceived. There are many deceivers in the Body of Christ, who in turn are deceived themself. Those who are in error will likely stand before our Lord Jesus Christ, including ourselves, some day and say, "But Lord, I did this all in Your Name". But, as sad as it is, many are exercising serpent-power, not Holy Spirit power. No doubt, this thread is in reference to what is going on in regards to Todd Bentley and his legions of followers, who believe every word that comes out of his mouth. Pray that their eyes would be opened before they are further spiritually damaged. We are not trying to demonize Todd; rather, we hope to protect some sheep, which our pastors should be doing but many are not.

Be blessed in Jesus' Name.

Upvote 0

ImmersionX

Apr 1, 2008
✟1,065.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Well after reading vv 12-20 of that chapter...I conclude that Paul was/would be happy that Christ was being preached AT THAT TIME regardless of the why/how....kinda like getting the name/word out about the situation. Paul was smart enough to know that with the guidance of the Holy Spirit the TRUTH would follow.:amen:
However, now that the Holy canon is closed....*pause*

peace and God Bless.

Upvote 0

ImmersionX

Apr 1, 2008
✟1,065.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

The big component of that statement is the TRUE Gospel of Christ....not a prosperity gospel, or angel's rule gospel....and that is the hard part and challenge for the unsaved, as well as the saved in this day and age. But I agree, with your statment.:amen:

Peace and God Bless.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟34,722.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The scripture assumes one thing that people often also over-look. The people in question have to be preaching the Truth.. paul is not rejoicing over false teachers and false prophets... he is rejoicing over people who teach the truth, even when they themselves have bad motivations for doing so.

Reactions: ImmersionX
Upvote 0

map4

Love Never Fails
Mar 29, 2008
Texas
✟10,762.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The scripture assumes one thing that people often also over-look. The people in question have to be preaching the Truth.. paul is not rejoicing over false teachers and false prophets... he is rejoicing over people who teach the truth, even when they themselves have bad motivations for doing so.

To maybe make things clearer, what would be an example of someone teaching the truth but having bad motivations for doing it?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.