United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
View attachment 319344

This is Casper, our 9 year old Goffin’s Cockatoo (Cacatua goffiniana.) My wife and I adopted him 6 years ago through a parrot rescue organization. His species is native to the Tanimbar Islands, which are located between Australia and Indonesia. Casper’s currently going through a molt, so his feathers are kinda ratty. Cockatoos are extremely intelligent. Within a week after we brought him home, he figured out how to open his cage door. He can, and does talk, though his voice isn’t as clear as an African Grey, or an Amazon parrot.

The larger parrots can be enormously fun and entertaining. But they’re not for everyone. They need large, floor standing cages. Which aren’t cheap. They’re messy eaters, and will throw out food they don’t like. They crave attention, and need hours out of their cage every day. If they’re not getting it, they can scream loud enough to wake the dead. If Casper stays healthy, he can live another 30 years or more. He could outlive my wife and me. So we had to include him in our estate plan. Parrots can be terrific pets which you can love for decades. But they’re also a major, long term commitment.
My first love, birds. I've had all kinds. I miss them so much.

• Friendly
Reactions: David's Harp
Upvote 0

David's Harp

Dec 7, 2021
Scotland
✟46,483.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
My first love, birds. I've had all kinds. I miss them so much.
Here's a picture of my little Fife canary. He's moulting just now, so looks a little shaggy.
IMG20220903111701.jpg

Upvote 0

David's Harp

Dec 7, 2021
Scotland
✟46,483.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Looks a lot like a parakeet.
He's a variegated Fife canary. Around 2-3 years old. Not sure exactly, as we inherited him from a neighbour who's not really fit or able to look after him. He's small, between 5-6 inches from head to end of tail. And his song is really loud! Although he's not singing just now as he's in the moult, and he needs to conserve energy. His name is Buddy.

Upvote 0