dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My biggest pet peeve is the misuse of "its" (or "it's"). It seems that most people believe that a possessive must have an apostrophe, so they almost always use "it's" for the possessive. For example, "The dog ate it's bone". This is wrong. It should be, "The dog ate its bone".

I use two memory tips to help me remember the difference between "its" and "it's". First is to break apart "it's" into "it is" and see if it makes sense: The dog ate it is bone. That doesn't make sense, so "it's" must be wrong. The second tip is to remember that the other personal possessive pronouns don't use apostrophes, like "his" and "hers", so why should "its"?

I have other pet peeves, but I'll leave it at this for now because I want to hear from others.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, this is going over like a lead balloon :-(. Despite the lack of action, I'll post another pet peeve, and it's relevant to CF. Another pet peeve is when people spell the book of Revelation with an "s" on the end, i.e., 'Revelations'. There is no "s" in the book's name.

Upvote 0

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,776,275.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, this is going over like a lead balloon :-(. Despite the lack of action, I'll post another pet peeve, and it's relevant to CF. Another pet peeve is when people spell the book of Revelation with an "s" on the end, i.e., 'Revelations'. There is no "s" in the book's name.
Or when someone says Psalms 23 (or whatever number). It's only one Psalm, not multiple Psalms.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Or when someone says Psalms 23 (or whatever number). It's only one Psalm, not multiple Psalms.
Yeah, that one bugs me too. As does another grammar problem (you might guess by now that I'm kinda big on grammar). The misuse of "their" vs. "they're". The former is possessive, and the latter is a contraction of "they are" (or "they were"). These things are more than just peeves -- it makes someone's writing hard to understand sometimes. I think people should pay more attention to what they write so they can effectively communicate their [sic] ideas.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,776,275.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Really? How odd. Must be a regional accent thing I guess?
I don't know. I first heard it when a woman in church was doing some sort of dramatic reading, and it bugged me. Since then I notice it every single time I hear it. It's a very subtle thing. It's not just the word "strong" but in other words with an ST letter combination. There's a toothpaste commercial where a girl says the phrase "and my teeth are shtronger too". Michelle Obama talks in an ad for the Show Your Shtripes organization. It all drives me batty!

(I have the annoying ability to hear little things like that which no one else even notices, and then I obsess about it)

Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't know. I first heard it when a woman in church was doing some sort of dramatic reading, and it bugged me. Since then I notice it every single time I hear it. It's a very subtle thing. It's not just the word "strong" but in other words with an ST letter combination. There's a toothpaste commercial where a girl says the phrase "and my teeth are shtronger too". Michelle Obama talks in an ad for the Show Your Shtripes organization. It all drives me batty!

(I have the annoying ability to hear little things like that which no one else even notices, and then I obsess about it)
Ever since you first said that, I started noticing people around here who mispronounce initial tr sounds as chr, like chruck instead of truck. Still no sht though. Thankfully, it doesn't bother me. I have enough grammar and vocab issues lol.

Reactions: lucypevensie
Upvote 0