Visit site
✟1,352,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Lord Jesus led me to read Colossians 2 (vv. 1-7 NASB).

We have been instructed in scripture to expect to be opposed, if we are truly following Jesus Christ with our lives. But, it isn’t just us who are being opposed, but it is the gospel of our salvation which is coming under fire, and from enormous opposition, too.

For I want you to know how great a struggle I have on your behalf and for those who are at Laodicea, and for all those who have not personally seen my face, that their hearts may be encouraged, having been knit together in love, and attaining to all the wealth that comes from the full assurance of understanding, resulting in a true knowledge of God’s mystery, that is, Christ Himself, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. I say this so that no one will delude you with persuasive argument.

As a servant of the Lord, I also struggle in defense of the gospel and on behalf of all those who believe in Jesus Christ or who would yet believe in him. I am concerned, as well, that many are being persuaded to turn away from the truth, and by clever enchanters who are twisting the truth to their advantage, in order to gain followers after themselves, but not after Christ.

I am concerned that so many people are being persuaded to accept a false grace gospel rather than the true gospel, and thus many are buying into a false hope of salvation and eternal life with God, based on half-truths or twisted truths, both of which are still lies. And, if they believe the lies rather than accept the truth, they are in danger of the fires of hell.

What I mean by this is that many preachers and teachers today are telling people that they can be assured of heaven when they die by merely accepting Jesus’ forgiveness of their sins, i.e. by accepting his grace, and through a mere acknowledgment that Jesus exists or of what he did for us in dying on the cross for our sins, so that we could be delivered from the punishment of sin and have the hope of eternal life in heaven with God.

Many of them are telling the people, too, that all they have to do is repeat some prayer after them, after which they congratulate them for having accepted Christ as their Savior, and for having secured heaven as their final resting place, which, they say, can never be taken away from them.

For even though I am absent in body, nevertheless I am with you in spirit, rejoicing to see your good discipline and the stability of your faith in Christ.

The truth of the matter is that Jesus died that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. He died that we might no longer live for ourselves, but for him who gave his life up for us. He died, too, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who walk (in lifestyle) no longer after the flesh, but according to the Spirit of God.

Jesus said that if anyone would come after him, he must deny self, take up his cross daily (die daily to sin and self) and follow (obey) him. What this means is that repentance and obedience are part of the gospel message. Jesus said that, if we want to hold on to our old lives (of living for sin and self) we will lose them (for eternity), but if we lose our lives (die with Christ to sin) for his sake, then we will save our lives (for eternity) (Lu. 9:23-25).

Paul reiterated these words of Jesus when he said that coming to faith in Jesus Christ means death to sin and living to righteousness. He said that Christ delivered us out of slavery (bondage, addiction) to sin, so that we would now be slaves of his righteousness. He said, too, that if we walk (in lifestyle) according to the flesh (sin), we will die (in our sins), but if by the Spirit we are putting to death the deeds of the flesh, we will live (with Christ for eternity). For, when we believe in Jesus, we are given new lives in Christ, created to be like God (in his likeness) in true righteousness and holiness (See: Rom. 6:1-23; Rom. 8:1-17; Eph. 4:17-24).

Therefore as you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith, just as you were instructed, and overflowing with gratitude.

So, the point of our salvation is not just so we can escape hell and have the promise of heaven when we leave this earth. We are also not forgiven our sins just on the basis of Jesus’ death on a cross for our sins, but on the basis of our faith in Jesus Christ, which involves both repentance and obedience. And, Jesus didn’t die just to forgive us our sins, but to deliver us out of slavery to sin. He didn’t die just to save us, but to transform us.

So, on the basis of what Jesus did for us in becoming sin for us on that cross so that he put our sin to death, and in being resurrected from the dead, so that we can born again and live new lives in him, we should walk (conduct our lives) according to the Holy Spirit, and no longer according to our flesh.

But, this shouldn’t be just because we have to, or because it is expected of us, but we should be so thankful that Jesus set us free that we want to live for him. We should be so thankful that he delivered us out of slavery to sin that we won’t want to walk in sin any longer. And, we should be so in love with God, with Jesus Christ, that we desire him above all else, and we want to obey him.

For, when we are born again of the Spirit of God, he changes our hearts. We are turned from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God so that we can receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in Jesus Christ. Thus, if we pray the prayer to receive Christ, or if we say we believe in Jesus, but nothing changes, i.e. our hearts are not truly turned from darkness to light, but we continue living just like we did before, then, according to scripture, we are not truly saved.

Another thing to know here is that our salvation is not a one-time experience and then we can live however we want and that one day we go to heaven. We are saved (past), we are being saved (present) and we will be saved when Jesus Christ returns (future). Our eternal life is also guaranteed only on the basis of present tense belief, not on the basis of past belief. And, our walk in Christ is also critical to our assurance of eternal life with God (See: Lu. 9:23-25; Rom. 8:1-17; Gal. 5:19-21; 1 Jn. 1:5-9; Heb. 9:28).

So, when people tell you that you can merely accept God’s grace or repeat some words in a prayer and that heaven is guaranteed you, but that you don’t have to turn from your sins or obey God, don’t believe them. They are trying to persuade you away from genuine faith in Christ Jesus, our Lord.

That Man / An Original Work / May 23, 2013

Based off John 3:22-36

An argument between some men
Erupted out of resentment.
They came to John and said,
“That man is baptizing everyone.
They’re going to Him.”

So, John replied, “A man can
Only receive what is given him.
You yourselves can testify that
I said, ‘I am not the Christ.
I’m sent before Him.’”

The bride belongs to the bridegroom.
His friends await and watch for Him.
They are full of joy when they hear
His voice speaking words to them.
That now is our joy!

Jesus, the One who comes from heav’n –
He testifies of forgiveness.
Yet, so many do not trust in
His words, and do not repent.
They will face judgment.

The one who trusts in Jesus Christ
Has certified that God is truth.
Jesus Christ speaks the words of God.
Those who put their faith in Him,
Eternal life gain!

Friday, November 24, 2017, 6:19 a.m. – Thank you, Jesus, for these words which you have spoken to my heart to day. I love you, and I praise you!

Reactions: Pilgrim

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The Lord Jesus led me to read Colossians 2 (vv. 1-7 NASB).

We have been instructed in scripture to expect to be opposed, if we are truly following Jesus Christ with our lives. But, it isn’t just us who are being opposed, but it is the gospel of our salvation which is coming under fire, and from enormous opposition, too.

For I want you to know how great a struggle I have on your behalf and for those who are at Laodicea, and for all those who have not personally seen my face, that their hearts may be encouraged, having been knit together in love, and attaining to all the wealth that comes from the full assurance of understanding, resulting in a true knowledge of God’s mystery, that is, Christ Himself, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. I say this so that no one will delude you with persuasive argument.

As a servant of the Lord, I also struggle in defense of the gospel and on behalf of all those who believe in Jesus Christ or who would yet believe in him. I am concerned, as well, that many are being persuaded to turn away from the truth, and by clever enchanters who are twisting the truth to their advantage, in order to gain followers after themselves, but not after Christ.

I am concerned that so many people are being persuaded to accept a false grace gospel rather than the true gospel, and thus many are buying into a false hope of salvation and eternal life with God, based on half-truths or twisted truths, both of which are still lies. And, if they believe the lies rather than accept the truth, they are in danger of the fires of hell.

What I mean by this is that many preachers and teachers today are telling people that they can be assured of heaven when they die by merely accepting Jesus’ forgiveness of their sins, i.e. by accepting his grace, and through a mere acknowledgment that Jesus exists or of what he did for us in dying on the cross for our sins, so that we could be delivered from the punishment of sin and have the hope of eternal life in heaven with God.

Many of them are telling the people, too, that all they have to do is repeat some prayer after them, after which they congratulate them for having accepted Christ as their Savior, and for having secured heaven as their final resting place, which, they say, can never be taken away from them.

For even though I am absent in body, nevertheless I am with you in spirit, rejoicing to see your good discipline and the stability of your faith in Christ.

The truth of the matter is that Jesus died that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. He died that we might no longer live for ourselves, but for him who gave his life up for us. He died, too, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who walk (in lifestyle) no longer after the flesh, but according to the Spirit of God.

Jesus said that if anyone would come after him, he must deny self, take up his cross daily (die daily to sin and self) and follow (obey) him. What this means is that repentance and obedience are part of the gospel message. Jesus said that, if we want to hold on to our old lives (of living for sin and self) we will lose them (for eternity), but if we lose our lives (die with Christ to sin) for his sake, then we will save our lives (for eternity) (Lu. 9:23-25).

Paul reiterated these words of Jesus when he said that coming to faith in Jesus Christ means death to sin and living to righteousness. He said that Christ delivered us out of slavery (bondage, addiction) to sin, so that we would now be slaves of his righteousness. He said, too, that if we walk (in lifestyle) according to the flesh (sin), we will die (in our sins), but if by the Spirit we are putting to death the deeds of the flesh, we will live (with Christ for eternity). For, when we believe in Jesus, we are given new lives in Christ, created to be like God (in his likeness) in true righteousness and holiness (See: Rom. 6:1-23; Rom. 8:1-17; Eph. 4:17-24).

Therefore as you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith, just as you were instructed, and overflowing with gratitude.

So, the point of our salvation is not just so we can escape hell and have the promise of heaven when we leave this earth. We are also not forgiven our sins just on the basis of Jesus’ death on a cross for our sins, but on the basis of our faith in Jesus Christ, which involves both repentance and obedience. And, Jesus didn’t die just to forgive us our sins, but to deliver us out of slavery to sin. He didn’t die just to save us, but to transform us.

So, on the basis of what Jesus did for us in becoming sin for us on that cross so that he put our sin to death, and in being resurrected from the dead, so that we can born again and live new lives in him, we should walk (conduct our lives) according to the Holy Spirit, and no longer according to our flesh.

But, this shouldn’t be just because we have to, or because it is expected of us, but we should be so thankful that Jesus set us free that we want to live for him. We should be so thankful that he delivered us out of slavery to sin that we won’t want to walk in sin any longer. And, we should be so in love with God, with Jesus Christ, that we desire him above all else, and we want to obey him.

For, when we are born again of the Spirit of God, he changes our hearts. We are turned from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God so that we can receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in Jesus Christ. Thus, if we pray the prayer to receive Christ, or if we say we believe in Jesus, but nothing changes, i.e. our hearts are not truly turned from darkness to light, but we continue living just like we did before, then, according to scripture, we are not truly saved.

Another thing to know here is that our salvation is not a one-time experience and then we can live however we want and that one day we go to heaven. We are saved (past), we are being saved (present) and we will be saved when Jesus Christ returns (future). Our eternal life is also guaranteed only on the basis of present tense belief, not on the basis of past belief. And, our walk in Christ is also critical to our assurance of eternal life with God (See: Lu. 9:23-25; Rom. 8:1-17; Gal. 5:19-21; 1 Jn. 1:5-9; Heb. 9:28).

So, when people tell you that you can merely accept God’s grace or repeat some words in a prayer and that heaven is guaranteed you, but that you don’t have to turn from your sins or obey God, don’t believe them. They are trying to persuade you away from genuine faith in Christ Jesus, our Lord.

That Man / An Original Work / May 23, 2013

Based off John 3:22-36

An argument between some men
Erupted out of resentment.
They came to John and said,
“That man is baptizing everyone.
They’re going to Him.”

So, John replied, “A man can
Only receive what is given him.
You yourselves can testify that
I said, ‘I am not the Christ.
I’m sent before Him.’”

The bride belongs to the bridegroom.
His friends await and watch for Him.
They are full of joy when they hear
His voice speaking words to them.
That now is our joy!

Jesus, the One who comes from heav’n –
He testifies of forgiveness.
Yet, so many do not trust in
His words, and do not repent.
They will face judgment.

The one who trusts in Jesus Christ
Has certified that God is truth.
Jesus Christ speaks the words of God.
Those who put their faith in Him,
Eternal life gain!

Friday, November 24, 2017, 6:19 a.m. – Thank you, Jesus, for these words which you have spoken to my heart to day. I love you, and I praise you!
I'm not sure what you mean here but I think Paul is just saying I don't want to persuade you with a cleaver argument but I preach the simple gospel. Paul was a brilliant writer, his writings are arguably the best crafted works in the New Testament. Again, arguably, his best work is Romans, a book that still fascinates Christian scholars who endlessly pursue his doctrine of justification by faith. Yet Paul made undeniable statement regarding his doctrine and teaching regarding the gospel:

And when I came to you, brethren, I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God. For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. (1 Corinthians 2:1-2).
He didn't need the wisdom of the Greeks, he preached the simple gospel. He was constantly going back to that just as the other Apostles did, and we should.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Christsfreeservant - It is the thrust of your argument why Catholics and Orthodox (in theory anyway), plus a handful of Protestants like myself, emphasize both faith and good works when it comes to salvation. It is not that the good works save us by themselves, but without them there is real doubt that we have ever really trusted God. I do believe that what you said is true. A good many pastors simply tell their flock that all they have to do is try pray a sinner's prayer and then they are assured of a seat in Heaven. The problem is that this approach runs counter to Jesus' warning in Matthew that many will say to Him, 'Lord, Lord', but He will turn to them and say that He never knew them. I think that the approach you describe, more of an emphasis upon holiness, was much more common within Protestantism in the 1700's and 1800's. Somehow, this changed somewhere in the 1900's.

An example perhaps is my late great grandfather who grew up in the late 1800's. Though a devout Baptist after his marriage to great grama, based upon my memory of him, he was really big into trying to live a life of holiness. Trust me, he was certainly not pro-Catholic back then, despite his emphasis upon holiness and doing good. Mom says that she never heard him speak ill of another person. I once asked him about sinning and he warned against habitual sin and expecting God to keep forgiving us. I think that if Protestantism would make a move to get back some of the Holiness Movement which has been lost, we would find that we have more in common with Catholics and Orthodox Christians than we realize, not that differences would not remain mind you, but there would be a renewed shared emphasis upon the importance of good works and living a life free from habitual sin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Somehow, this changed somewhere in the 1900's.
For sure; big time change.

I think that if Protestantism would make a move to get back some of the Holiness Movement which has been lost, we would find that we have more in common with Catholics and Orthodox Christians than we realize, not that differences would not remain mind you, but there would be a renewed shared emphasis upon the importance of good works and living a life free from habitual sin.
A somber warning from Paul which seems to go unheeded these days: "For if you live according to the flesh [habitual sin], you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live" (Rom 8:13).

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,352,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure what you mean here but I think Paul is just saying I don't want to persuade you with a cleaver argument but I preach the simple gospel. Paul was a brilliant writer, his writings are arguably the best crafted works in the New Testament. Again, arguably, his best work is Romans, a book that still fascinates Christian scholars who endlessly pursue his doctrine of justification by faith. Yet Paul made undeniable statement regarding his doctrine and teaching regarding the gospel:

And when I came to you, brethren, I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God. For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. (1 Corinthians 2:1-2).
He didn't need the wisdom of the Greeks, he preached the simple gospel. He was constantly going back to that just as the other Apostles did, and we should.

That is not exactly what he was saying here. He was talking about those who were leading God's people away from their purity of faith to follow after a false gospel, which was created in the eyes and minds of men. In their case they were adding to the gospel of grace with manmade rules. In the case I was writing about, which Paul also often addressed, is that many today are removing critical elements of the gospel message. Instead of adding to it they are diluting it. In both cases we are talking about manmade religion which is leading people astray from purity of faith in Jesus Christ and is giving people a false hope.

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,352,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christsfreeservant - It is the thrust of your argument why Catholics and Orthodox (in theory anyway), plus a handful of Protestants like myself, emphasize both faith and good works when it comes to salvation. It is not that the good works save us by themselves, but without them there is real doubt that we have ever really trusted God. I do believe that what you said is true. A good many pastors simply tell their flock that all they have to do is try pray a sinner's prayer and then they are assured of a seat in Heaven. The problem is that this approach runs counter to Jesus' warning in Matthew that many will say to Him, 'Lord, Lord', but He will turn to them and say that He never knew them. I think that the approach you describe, more of an emphasis upon holiness, was much more common within Protestantism in the 1700's and 1800's. Somehow, this changed somewhere in the 1900's.

An example perhaps is my late great grandfather who grew up in the late 1800's. Though a devout Baptist after his marriage to great grama, based upon my memory of him, he was really big into trying to live a life of holiness. Trust me, he was certainly not pro-Catholic back then, despite his emphasis upon holiness and doing good. Mom says that she never heard him speak ill of another person. I once asked him about sinning and he warned against habitual sin and expecting God to keep forgiving us. I think that if Protestantism would make a move to get back some of the Holiness Movement which has been lost, we would find that we have more in common with Catholics and Orthodox Christians than we realize, not that differences would not remain mind you, but there would be a renewed shared emphasis upon the importance of good works and living a life free from habitual sin.

My understanding of the Catholic faith is that it teaches works -based salvation and that they don't teach that we can be assured of our salvation. They usually say they hope they are good enough to get to heaven. At least, this has been my experience with Catholics I have known.

Yet, many churches today have gone the other extreme and are teaching salvation absent of repentance and obedience, which is just not biblical. The truth is that how we live our lives reveals whether or not our faith is real.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I will go along with your claim that they do not teach that we can be assured of our salvation to some extent, but I firmly believe that the often used Protestant claim that they teach works-based salvation is probably unfair, and misleading at the very least. They teach that as long as a Catholic is in a state of grace (no unconfessed mortal/grave sin at the time of death), that the person is saved and that it is just a matter of time that one must spend in Purgatory before going to Heaven. I suppose that if a Catholic believes that he/she has no unconfessed mortal sin when they are dying, they would be reasonably assured of going to Heaven eventually. Again, I did not mean to infer that a renewed Protestant emphasis upon Holiness would bring Protestants and Catholics a lot closer together, but a little bit, since both of them would be emphasizing the importance of avoiding sin, especially habitual sin. Ignore the good works aspect of it if that bothers you, but the habitual sin part should not.

Now I suppose one could make the case that the "invincible ignorance" doctrine which reportedly allows non-Christians and non-Catholic Christians the possibility of being saved might possibly bring the good works-based salvation into play for them, perhaps indirectly anyway, but again, not for Catholics. For them it only impacts how long they might have to spend in Purgatory before moving on to Heaven. So, yes, I guess there is a grain of truth to the claim you make, but again, it is certainly somewhat misleading and quite possibly unfair.

Actually, while Protestants do not discuss it much, I think a lot of them believe in a marginal version of works-based theology, in the sense that most probably believe the better life we live here on Earth, the better reward in Heaven for the individual Christian. Hence, for some Protestants it deals with the level of our reward and for Catholics it means how soon they get to Heaven, but not if they get to Heaven. True, Catholicism emphasizes good works much more than Protestantism. I think that is very good, in and of itself. My complaint deals the the matter of indulgences and how that can supposedly reduce one's time in Purgatory and the concept of Purgatory itself seems somewhat iffy, though I do not totally discount the possibility of it's existence. The concept of the Orthodox Toll Houses, where we get tested after death, seems more appealing than the Catholic Purgatory, which traditionally has called for punishment of some sort or another.

Last edited:
Upvote 0