Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisa0315

Respect Catholics and the Mother Church!
Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
MotherOfPromise said:
Have any of you taken the Myers Briggs personality tests? :confused:

Below is a sight you can go to for more info. It would be interesting to know what profiles you have. Anyone willing to share? :)

www.typelogic.com

I am not sure if it was this test, but I did take a personality test at work. I was borderline between (supposedly) the two rarest personalities. I was told that only 2% of the population had either of the personalities, much less borderline between the two.

The first was an introvert who liked to stay behind the scenes, planning, analyzing data, plotting the future course, but letting others take the glory.

The second was an extrovert, a natural born leader.

One was called the Field Marshall, but I don't remember the other one. Does that help you identify the test that I took?

I don't remember all of it, but I do remember feeling creepy-crawly, like someone was inside of my head, because it seemed to describe me very closely.

Upvote 0

MotherOfPromise

Jan 8, 2005
The South
✟26,336.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
Satin and Silk said:
Agreed, it doesn't always work out. But it sure can help. I can only speak for myself and say it has been a real eye-opener.

It has helped me and my daughter in our relationship with one another. We have always clicked personality wise, and are the best of friends, yet there are a few areas that we have to work at in order not to butt heads. Understanding our types has really helped us to understand that the other one isn't necessarily being stubborn about a given situation, but they just intrepret it from a different perspective. That has been very freeing for us. It enables us to take a second look at the situation from the other perspective, not just looking at it as wrong thinking on the other's part. :)

One thing though, it seems that it is very easy to type someone wrong, or have some type you wrong, because you don't really know one another. :)
Some of my daughter's friends recently thought they had her typed, and they got one part right. :(

Upvote 0

Satin and Silk

Jun 5, 2005
✟7,871.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Type theory is a helpful tool for understanding yourself and others. It certainly isn't the only tool, but I've found it to be quite useful, and the one that works best for me.

My biggest revelation was learning why I always felt so out of place. Now I understand what makes me so different from others, and I've tossed out the books that basically say 'your biggest problem is that you refuse to become someone else.' I also know that the rest of the world really isn't out to make me crazy.

And it is true that you can be wrong about sizing up someone by type. I've certainly been wrong more than once. :)

Upvote 0

MotherOfPromise

Jan 8, 2005
The South
✟26,336.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
My biggest revelation was learning why I always felt so out of place. Now I understand what makes me so different from others, and I've tossed out the books that basically say 'your biggest problem is that you refuse to become someone else.' I also know that the rest of the world really isn't out to make me crazy.

My pastor recently said that he thought that most of the people who were not happy in life were that way, because they were trying to be someone that God never intended them to be. Yes, I agree that the type is a tool, just as there are other tools, to help us understand ourselves, and others, better. Perhaps the better we can understand ourselves, the more we can focus in on the person God created, and is createing us to be. :)

Just for the fun of it Silk, have you typed me yet?

Upvote 0

Satin and Silk

Jun 5, 2005
✟7,871.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Lisa0315 said:
I am not sure if it was this test, but I did take a personality test at work. I was borderline between (supposedly) the two rarest personalities. I was told that only 2% of the population had either of the personalities, much less borderline between the two.

The first was an introvert who liked to stay behind the scenes, planning, analyzing data, plotting the future course, but letting others take the glory.

The second was an extrovert, a natural born leader.

One was called the Field Marshall, but I don't remember the other one. Does that help you identify the test that I took?

I don't remember all of it, but I do remember feeling creepy-crawly, like someone was inside of my head, because it seemed to describe me very closely.

It was the MBTI, yes. :)

The Field Marshall is an ENTJ - Extraverted, iNutitive, Thinking, Judging. The second type sounds a lot like an INTP, or Architect - Introverted, iNtuitive, Thinking, Perceiving. It could also be an INTJ, or Scientist.

Introverted thinking types can definitely be willing to do the work in the background while letting others take the glory. It just depends on the situation.

Upvote 0

Satin and Silk

Jun 5, 2005
✟7,871.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
MotherOfPromise said:
My pastor recently said that he thought that most of the people who were not happy in life were that way, because they were trying to be someone that God never intended them to be. Yes, I agree that the type is a tool, just as there are other tools, to help us understand ourselves, and others, better. Perhaps the better we can understand ourselves, the more we can focus in on the person God created, and is createing us to be. :)

Just for the fun of it Silk, have you typed me yet?

Your pastor sounds very wise. I do know that I doubted my own intrinsic worth as I tried to become who I thought I should be - it just wasn't working, and of course I interpreted that as a character fault. This knowledge truly helped me come to terms with myself, and gave me some peace.

And no... LOL... I haven't even attempted to guess your type.

Upvote 0

MotherOfPromise

Jan 8, 2005
The South
✟26,336.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
So do you think that all the types struggle with trying to be what others expect of them? I know that I have had this struggle myself. But then my type is easily influenced by what others think of them. :) How do you turn that around to a positive quality? :scratch:

Upvote 0

Satin and Silk

Jun 5, 2005
✟7,871.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
MotherOfPromise said:
So do you think that all the types struggle with trying to be what others expect of them? I know that I have had this struggle myself. But then my type is easily influenced by what others think of them. :) How do you turn that around to a positive quality? :scratch:

Some people seem to find their place in life quite easily, while others do have a hard time with it because they are different and don't fit into the existing structure. Culture, upbringing, age, gender, etc., are all part of the picture, too.

As a feeler, you have deep empathy with others, which is a great gift. There's nothing wrong with valuing the opinions of other people. But I believe it's important for you to guard against getting completely lost in the wishes and needs of others, be aware of it when it happens, and pull yourself back a bit.

Upvote 0

MotherOfPromise

Jan 8, 2005
The South
✟26,336.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
As a feeler, you have deep empathy with others, which is a great gift. There's nothing wrong with valuing the opinions of other people. But I believe it's important for you to guard against getting completely lost in the wishes and needs of others, be aware of it when it happens, and pull yourself back a bit.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I think I have done that to a large degree. :) However, it isn't always easy to get past the fellings of disappointing someone else. I'm sure that after they have long forgotten, I am still thinking on the incident. :sigh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Satin and Silk

Jun 5, 2005
✟7,871.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
There's an excellent book available on the subject:

Please Understand Me: Character and Temperament Types
by David Kiersey and Marilyn Bates (1985).

It's a fascinating read, and can give you more understanding of the different types.

You might be able to find it at your library. It is still available via online booksellers, as well.

Upvote 0

MotherOfPromise

Jan 8, 2005
The South
✟26,336.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
We have friends who know a fellow who does brain typing in conjunction with body movements, with body movements being part of the analysis. He does work with professional athletes. Some athletics lend themselves to people with more fluid movements, others to those with more mechanical movements.

It just facinates me the way God has designed us all so uniquely, and although we can have many traits in common with others, even within the same type, there is such a variety. I guess the snowflake still remains one of the best examples. We are all the same in many aspects, yet all so wonderfully different. And like you say we are all meant to work together to bring glory to God and His plan. Isn't our Creator God awesome! :bow:

Upvote 0

frogalone

Jun 4, 2005
Ohio
✟122,197.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Yeah, I'm not happy being myself. I have a lot of inner conflicts. I'm sure the cerebral palsy probably stiffled who I am to some degree. I feel extroverted, yet I'm at peace, often perfer solitude, but is that me or is it a survival skill. I forgot what I am. I'll do it again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

frogalone

Jun 4, 2005
Ohio
✟122,197.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
scootermom said:
the Jung test says I'm ISFJ. I see that.

The way I understood it, I'm moderately introverted, moderately sensing, moderately feeling, slightly judgemental.

The moderate is probably why I feel conflits. You know, I like my alone time, but also love yakking it up with family and good friends.

I don't consider myself a doormat by any means, but I have/do put up with a lot. I have boundries, tho'.

Upvote 0

MotherOfPromise

Jan 8, 2005
The South
✟26,336.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
Also as we walk with the Lord and focus on Him little by little we begin to shed off those negative aspects of our personality and begin to exhibit more and more of His character. :)

Isn't it wonderful how God can take a lump of clay and over a lifetime create a beautiful picture of His grace? And it is a lifetime process. :) There are days when I feel like I am still in the beginning stages. I'm grateful He doesn't give up on us. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.