Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Still trying to weed in bits, found 2 more to weed recently, but there's another issue that's come up with even starting a new inventory, since my old one has a lot of stuff I haven't removed because of selling/donating/exchanging over the last 5+ years since I made it.

Obviously there are many different systems and I can't see myself even trying to use one I'm familiar enough with, like Library of Congress, let alone Dewey, which is what my local library uses for nonfiction (because it's probably what's been used and reclassifying would be a logistical nightmare).

BISAC seems interesting, stumbled onto it (and apparently had a bookmark for reference in the past) and could work, even if there's still stuff to work out potentially, it's broad enough, yet the categories I've looked over actually fits somewhat how I've grouped books as it is

The overlap is the tricky part, though not for my manga/graphic novels or D&D/tabletop stuff, thankfully (which is going to be a good chunk numerically, especially with buying some more volumes as my birthday's coming up)

And even stuff that would fit into a general Christianity category has so many subgroups in BISAC, it's enough to make anyone's head spin. And I've weeded out plenty of stuff that's fairly niche, though I could suffer to do more, potentially. It's one thing to have the Catechism and even some other stuff, but this one I found and looked over feels much more like it's meant as a devotional guide for a Catholic. Title is pretty broad too: Essentials For Christian Living.

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm actually considering ditching my hard copy library someday, in favor of purely digital stuff. I have not even unpacked my boxes of books when I moved to PA from NC near the end of 2019, because I was unsure of how long I was going to be living here, and wanted the next move to easier.

And as a long time gamer even considered giving away all my old Role playing, wargaming, and board gaming stuff (D&D, Champions, Talisman etc.) to a hometown friend, but ended up shelving that plan for now.

But if I did this it would make moving long distance to another state a lot easier, and cheaper. I almost feel my books are an albatross if you end up having to move every few years. Especially now that we live in the age of the internet and digital media, even though I can't look up everything I want to online, and am sometimes occasionally tempted to go rooting around some of those boxes I got stacked up in a closet/storage space area in my apartment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟166,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Still trying to weed in bits, found 2 more to weed recently, but there's another issue that's come up with even starting a new inventory, since my old one has a lot of stuff I haven't removed because of selling/donating/exchanging over the last 5+ years since I made it.

Obviously there are many different systems and I can't see myself even trying to use one I'm familiar enough with, like Library of Congress, let alone Dewey, which is what my local library uses for nonfiction (because it's probably what's been used and reclassifying would be a logistical nightmare).

BISAC seems interesting, stumbled onto it (and apparently had a bookmark for reference in the past) and could work, even if there's still stuff to work out potentially, it's broad enough, yet the categories I've looked over actually fits somewhat how I've grouped books as it is

The overlap is the tricky part, though not for my manga/graphic novels or D&D/tabletop stuff, thankfully (which is going to be a good chunk numerically, especially with buying some more volumes as my birthday's coming up)

And even stuff that would fit into a general Christianity category has so many subgroups in BISAC, it's enough to make anyone's head spin. And I've weeded out plenty of stuff that's fairly niche, though I could suffer to do more, potentially. It's one thing to have the Catechism and even some other stuff, but this one I found and looked over feels much more like it's meant as a devotional guide for a Catholic. Title is pretty broad too: Essentials For Christian Living.
I just group my books at home by general subject. I try not to think too hard about it. Keep it simple and basic.

doesnt have to be grouped then by author or title (though what I do is by size because I try to make everything fit lol).

overlap is solved by what subject you think of when you read the title.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I just group my books at home by general subject. I try not to think too hard about it. Keep it simple and basic.

doesnt have to be grouped then by author or title (though what I do is by size because I try to make everything fit lol).

overlap is solved by what subject you think of when you read the title.

General subject is the goal, though that could almost get some things lost, like a few that are taking a less conventional approach to Satan, like Origin of Satan, Satan The Prodigal Son and The Birth of Satan. Not sure what they'd fall under, since I bought several books that are Angelology/Demonology, even if some are arguably more in the vein of devotional analysis of "beating" them and such versus my preferred academic analysis.

Having title first works, though my mind goes almost more to author, since I work in library systems that use that as the basis partly, though I think the priority tends to be title, shared author is almost incidental, iirc.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I'm actually considering ditching my hard copy library someday, in favor of purely digital stuff. I have not even unpacked my boxes of books when I moved to PA from NC near the end of 2019, because I was unsure of how long I was going to be living here, and wanted the next move to easier.

And as a long time gamer even considered giving away all my old Role playing, wargaming, and board gaming stuff (D&D, Champions, Talisman etc.) to a hometown friend, but ended up shelving that plan for now.

But if I did this it would make moving long distance to another state a lot easier, and cheaper. I almost feel my books are an albatross if you end up having to move every few years. Especially now that we live in the age of the internet and digital media, even though I can't look up everything I want to online, and am sometimes occasionally tempted to go rooting around some of those boxes I got stacked up in a closet/storage space area in my apartment.
Digital are their own problem, given you don't own the book, you own a license that has been sold to you and that can get pulled based on various factors, it's the same problems as regards getting your phone repaired, and moreso if you're an Apple user

Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟166,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
General subject is the goal, though that could almost get some things lost, like a few that are taking a less conventional approach to Satan, like Origin of Satan, Satan The Prodigal Son and The Birth of Satan. Not sure what they'd fall under, since I bought several books that are Angelology/Demonology, even if some are arguably more in the vein of devotional analysis of "beating" them and such versus my preferred academic analysis.

Having title first works, though my mind goes almost more to author, since I work in library systems that use that as the basis partly, though I think the priority tends to be title, shared author is almost incidental, iirc.
I would put them under christianity.

so, nonfiction - christianity - Angelology/Demonology

also, Angelology is a fascinating subject.

Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟166,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

So like I would just have the general subject be Christianity then within the subject group the books by topic together.
Like devotionals, prayer books.
Theology etc. if that makes sense.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
So like I would just have the general subject be Christianity then within the subject group the books by topic together.
Like devotionals, prayer books.
Theology etc. if that makes sense.
It's a lot of subgroups, we got a bunch of donations yesterday and felt like 1/3 of them were under that religious category, like Inspirational/Christian Living, plus some Judaism related stuff and things related to Israel (which I think I took the category the book noted, Politics)

Upvote 0