Persecution for Word's sake

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Christina M

"All that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution" (2 Tim. 3:12).

If you do anything that makes a mark for God in this world, persecution is going to come. It goes with the territory. Second Timothy 3:12 leaves no room for doubt about that.

But why is it that simply living a godly life causes so much trouble in this world? First John 5:19 tells us it's because "the whole world lieth in wickedness." We're living in a world that is ruled by the spirit of darkness. And the brighter our light becomes, the more offensive we are to that realm of darkness.

The reverse is also true. As long as we aren't doing much for God, we're not bothered with persecution.

If we look like the world, talk like the world and act like the world - worldly people will think we're all right. A little crazy maybe, but no real threat.

So you might as well know right now, if you're very turned on to God, the world isn't going to like you much. Actually, that's an understatement. Jesus put it this way:

"If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you" (John 15:18-19).

You may be thinking, Well, I'm sure that's true, but it's also not very pleasant. Why do we have to talk about it?

We need to prepare ourselves so that when persecution comes, it doesn't slow us down, much less stop us. That's what persecution is designed to do, you know. It's designed to discourage us and keep us from completing God's plan for our lives.

But, praise God, if we learn how to handle it in advance, it won't even slow us down.

So don't be afraid of the darkness of this world. It may persecute you, but it can't overcome you. Your family may even persecute you, but they can't overcome you either. "For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith" (1 John 5:4). Just turn up your light a little brighter...and shine on!

Speak the Word: "Though I suffer persecution, I continue to live godly." 2 Timothy 3:12

For Further Study: Matthew 10:16-26

Daily Scripture Reading: Isaiah 34-36; Psalms 44-45

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Source: Pursuit of His Presence by Kenneth and Gloria Copeland
[/FONT]

God_Owned

My wife is the glory this Highlander. 1 Co 11:7
Feb 22, 2006
✟21,601.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"All that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution" (2 Tim. 3:12).

If you do anything that makes a mark for God in this world, persecution is going to come. It goes with the territory. Second Timothy 3:12 leaves no room for doubt about that.

But why is it that simply living a godly life causes so much trouble in this world? First John 5:19 tells us it's because "the whole world lieth in wickedness." We're living in a world that is ruled by the spirit of darkness. And the brighter our light becomes, the more offensive we are to that realm of darkness.

The reverse is also true. As long as we aren't doing much for God, we're not bothered with persecution.

If we look like the world, talk like the world and act like the world - worldly people will think we're all right. A little crazy maybe, but no real threat.

So you might as well know right now, if you're very turned on to God, the world isn't going to like you much. Actually, that's an understatement. Jesus put it this way:

"If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you" (John 15:18-19).

You may be thinking, Well, I'm sure that's true, but it's also not very pleasant. Why do we have to talk about it?

We need to prepare ourselves so that when persecution comes, it doesn't slow us down, much less stop us. That's what persecution is designed to do, you know. It's designed to discourage us and keep us from completing God's plan for our lives.

But, praise God, if we learn how to handle it in advance, it won't even slow us down.

So don't be afraid of the darkness of this world. It may persecute you, but it can't overcome you. Your family may even persecute you, but they can't overcome you either. "For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith" (1 John 5:4). Just turn up your light a little brighter...and shine on!

Speak the Word: "Though I suffer persecution, I continue to live godly." 2 Timothy 3:12

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Source: Pursuit of His Presence by Kenneth and Gloria Copeland [/FONT]

Preach on Child of God!:wave:

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Christina, these are good!

I turned to the Psalms and found three in a row on persecution--69, 70, and 71.

Parts of these are messianic Psalms, speaking of Jesus' suffering.

I noticed a few things that i think are worth mentioning--
David knew that he had to pray his problem first, so while he was petitioning God for relief he also made sure that he was suffering for righteousness' sake (Psalm 69:4), he acknowledged to God that he did sin but prayed that those sins would not cause anyone else to stumble (verse 5), and he always praised God.

Upvote 0
C

Christina M

Christina, these are good!

I turned to the Psalms and found three in a row on persecution--69, 70, and 71.

Parts of these are messianic Psalms, speaking of Jesus' suffering.

I noticed a few things that i think are worth mentioning--
David knew that he had to pray his problem first, so while he was petitioning God for relief he also made sure that he was suffering for righteousness' sake (Psalm 69:4), he acknowledged to God that he did sin but prayed that those sins would not cause anyone else to stumble (verse 5), and he always praised God.

Funny part, though, David asked to have his enemies be punished and for him to be lucky enough to see that happen! He asked the Lord to let him witness their destruction.

Hard to see how that translates to NT... and praying for his enemies;)

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
you bring up an interesting point.

I see two things in that....first, that David was human and was reacting out of his humanity in his desire for revenge on his enemies.

secondly, that in the NT Jesus set a different example for us, one of which can also be seen in the messianic parts of those Psalms, so that we have a clear contrast between OT reactions and NT reactions to enemies.

Jesus did pray for deliverance. BUT He was willing to deliver his enemies to God because He knew that they were enemies of God first.

So it is better to deliver our enemies to God and let Him handle them, as seen in Psalm 23.

Upvote 0

irenemcg

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2004
Caught up in the Heavenlies
Visit site
✟24,981.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
You know isn't this interesting. One of the major things critics throw at WOF is a lack of teaching on persecution of Christian's for the sake of the gospel. They believe that health and prosperity are the only things taught, we get accused of believing in a feel good gospel. Is there an internetlink to that Christina?

Upvote 0
C

Christina M

You know isn't this interesting. One of the major things critics throw at WOF is a lack of teaching on persecution of Christian's for the sake of the gospel. They believe that health and prosperity are the only things taught, we get accused of believing in a feel good gospel. Is there an internetlink to that Christina?

Ain't that the truth, Irene~? They say we don't believe in suffering....... ha! We believe in it... we experience it... it's just that it is THE suffering we are to endure - FOR THE WORD'S SAKE!!

I have the link but it is through my C-Faith subscription, so not sure if you can access it...

http://www.cfaith.com/GENERAL/article_display/0,7513,5925,00.asp

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Source: Pursuit of His Presence by Kenneth and Gloria Copeland [/FONT]

Good Post!
Reminds me of a saying.
"If being a Christian was against the law, would there be enough evidence to convict you".:)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.