US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One kind we are to do is the last passage in Matthew chapter 5.

Agreed. Love is the proof and the answer.

Matthew 5:43-48 NLT
"You have heard the law that says, 'Love your neighbor' and hate your enemy. [44] But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! [45] In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike. [46] If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even corrupt tax collectors do that much. [47] If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else? Even pagans do that. [48] But you are to be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect.

Upvote 0

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, you've pointed to one of the most key teachings most needed by Christians today.

Duty calls now, so I'm away for quite a while. ..

Agreed. Love is the proof and the answer.

Matthew 5:43-48 NLT
"You have heard the law that says, 'Love your neighbor' and hate your enemy. [44] But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! [45] In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike. [46] If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even corrupt tax collectors do that much. [47] If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else? Even pagans do that. [48] But you are to be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect.

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
While all believers have sinned as a part of their old life, this is not always the case for all believers after they come to the Lord.

For the 144,000 were found without fault before the throne of God. This is in context to their holy actions and not a belief on Jesus, either (See Revelation 14:3-5).

Zacharias and Elisabeth were considered righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless (Luke 1:5-6).

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe a better question is who where the two trees?

One the Tree of Life, the other the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

What "fruit" does each of them produce?

The Tree of Live produces no shame.

The tree of knowledge of good and evil produces shame.

Do you think this story is taking about physical trees or people?

Do you think the fruit from these trees are physical fruit or character traits/attributes?
In this case friend I think the tree of life means indeed timeless eternity, immortality, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil means to assume the power to judge others, which is fraught and like a sword, and requires profound maturity to do well, far more maturity than we gain in a mere 80 or 100 years. We don't have the right to assume such authority. At most, at best, we might here only judge actions alone (never persons), and that with great caution John 7:24, lest we fall into Mathew 7:1-5, Luke 6:37.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
is being righteous the same as being perfect? Whats the definition of perfect here?

How is it meant in Matt 5? "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

Whats the def of perfect. Since all have sinned and fallen short.. and since there is none righteous no not one. Can one be perfect and NOT righteous? Since NONE are righteous.. not one. And Adam and Eve.. again whats perfect? If GOD is the example.. a then thats the answer no?

Some were taken not because they were perfect but walked with God. Its that belief in Him.. that righteousness is counted to them. Righteousness is right standing with God

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
is being righteous the same as being perfect? Whats the definition of perfect here?

How is it meant in Matt 5? "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

Whats the def of perfect. Since all have sinned and fallen short.. and since there is none righteous no not one. Can one be perfect and NOT righteous? Since NONE are righteous.. not one. And Adam and Eve.. again whats perfect? If GOD is the example.. a then thats the answer no?

Some were taken not because they were perfect but walked with God. Its that belief in Him.. that righteousness is counted to them. Righteousness is right standing with God
What about "pure"...? or have been made or declared pure...? or will be pure in the future, before the end...?

Pure in heart maybe...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
John worshiped an angle in the book of Revelations. Praise and worship God only.
According to Yahweh's Word, all Scripture in Harmony,
John was perfect (as Jesus said to be "You must be perfect, because your heavenly father is perfect) .

So were the Apostles and other disciples in the NT.

So were Ekklesia in TORAH, PROPHETS and PSALMS.

I think that thinking "perfect" means something today in english
that is not what Yahweh means in His Word
is a major difficulty in understanding Yahweh's Meaning/ His Word.

• Agree
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
John was perfect (as Jesus said to be "You must be perfect, because your heavenly father is perfect) .

So were the Apostles and other disciples in the NT.

We will be perfect once we are glorified and covered by Christ.

One cannot enter Heaven with any sin attached to them.

The attachments are heavy here for all -- even those who believe they might be sinless.

Don't be fooled little ones for the Bible tells us that we stink.

M-Bob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

As I read fully through Matthew 5 NIV (so that I come to the verse naturally, with full sense of meaning), then it seems He is saying to us to do the perfect response/perfect action of loving our enemy.

It's very radical to love an enemy. We'd from our flesh rather strike back, or at best ignore them. But He says to do something that seems impossible (without the Spirit we could not) -- to love those that have mistreated us. This is a perfect response we know. Notice also the other verses nearby -- we are to love more than only those who love us.

-----
(Also in Romans chapter 5, we learn more about this too -- 6You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. 8But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Stone-n-Steel

Site Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
Texas
✟224,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As I read fully through Matthew 5 NIV (so that I come to the verse naturally, with full sense of meaning), then it seems He is saying to us to do the perfect response/perfect action of loving our enemy.

It's very radical to love an enemy. We'd from our flesh rather strike back, or at best ignore them. But He says to do something that seems impossible (without the Spirit we could not) -- to love those that have mistreated us. This is a perfect response we know. Notice also the other verses nearby -- we are to love more than only those who love us.

-----
(Also in Romans chapter 5, we learn more about this too -- 6You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. 8But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.)

I do not believe the audience of Matthew 5 is the same as the audience of Romans 5. In Matthew 5-7 Jesus had the Millennial Kingdom in mind whereas Romans 5 has our time in mind.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do not believe the audience of Matthew 5 is the same as the audience of Romans 5. In Matthew 5-7 Jesus had the Millennial Kingdom in mind whereas Romans 5 has our time in mind.
Hello. We learn as we read fully through that Christ was instructing us how to live now, some examples in chapter 7: 21-27 and 25:31:40, or best just to read fully through, from chapter 1.

• Friendly
Reactions: Stone-n-Steel
Upvote 0

Stone-n-Steel

Site Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
Texas
✟224,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello. We learn as we read fully through that Christ was instructing us how to live now, some examples in chapter 7: 21-27 and 25:31:40, or best just to read fully through, from chapter 1.

There is of course much truth in the Sermon on the mound of Olivet. I might however find a problem with Matthew 10:6 and 15:24 if I were to live that now.

Grace and Mercy to you in the name of our Lord and Savor Jesus Christ

• Friendly
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is of course much truth in the Sermon on the mound of Olivet. I might however find a problem with Matthew 10:6 and 15:24 if I were to live that now.

Grace and Mercy to you in the name of our Lord and Savor Jesus Christ

We are actually doing Matthew right now in our Sunday bible study, and it's an interesting thing how the inclusion of the gentiles (or "nations") is done (in steps), to arrive at fulfilling the Isaiah prophecy.

Grace and Mercy to you also. Praise the Lord. Merry Christmas. :)

• Optimistic
Reactions: Stone-n-Steel
Upvote 0

Stone-n-Steel

Site Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
Texas
✟224,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are actually doing Matthew right now in our Sunday bible study, and it's an interesting thing how the inclusion of the gentiles (or "nations") is done (in steps), to arrive at fulfilling the Isaiah prophecy.

Grace and Mercy to you also. Praise the Lord. Merry Christmas. :)

Have you ever heard about a Pastor named J. C. O'Hair?

Here is a long but interesting Study you might want to look at.

Jesus Christ in Matthew

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever heard about a Pastor named J. C. O'Hair?

Here is a long but interesting Study you might want to look at.

Jesus Christ in Matthew

The main challenge in the gospels isn't complexity, but instead whether we are willing to truly listen and hear, and follow Him. Take up our cross. This is so much already, few should go much into trying to figure out more complex things. Let me be loving my neighbors, everyone I encounter, truly and well, forgiving all offenses against me, truly from my heart...then perhaps one can learn more involved things on less crucial questions. :) First things first, in other words. Faith, and real following.

Upvote 0