catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Besides Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit, name one perfect person in the Bible.

Generally there are none, though some clearly were closer rather than further. Job's faith didn't fail even under the most amazing test, yet we wouldn't say Job was perfect, but rather that Job did what he should do mostly, more than not, and hastened to repent, but most crucially, Job fell back on faith, over and over, (https://biblehub.com/job/19-25.htm) and that is a perfect action at least. It's perhaps the best thing we can do, along with love.
We aren't told what mistakes John made, but see what he wrote on this question! --
5 "This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. 6 If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us."

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
what about Mary, mother of Jesus
and her cousin Elizabeth

were they close to perfect?
Same could be said of Noah, Abraham, Moses, and many others, and I think they were closer rather than farther...

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Generally there are none, though some clearly were closer rather than further. Job's faith didn't fail even under the most amazing test, yet we wouldn't say Job was perfect, but rather that Job did what he should do mostly, more than not, and hastened to repent, but most crucially, Job fell back on faith, over and over, (https://biblehub.com/job/19-25.htm) and that is a perfect action at least. It's perhaps the best thing we can do, along with love.
We aren't told what mistakes John made, but see what he wrote on this question! --
5 "This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. 6 If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us."

John worshiped an angle in the book of Revelations. Praise and worship God only.

Upvote 0

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
what about Mary, mother of Jesus
and her cousin Elizabeth

were they close to perfect?

Mark 3:20-21 NLT
One time Jesus entered a house, and the crowds began to gather again. Soon he and his disciples couldn’t even find time to eat. [21] When his family heard what was happening, they tried to take him away. “He’s out of his mind,” they said.

Mark 3:31-35 NLT
Then Jesus’ mother and brothers came to see him. They stood outside and sent word for him to come out and talk with them. [32] There was a crowd sitting around Jesus, and someone said, “Your mother and your brothers are outside asking for you.” [33] Jesus replied, “Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?” [34] Then he looked at those around him and said, “Look, these are my mother and brothers. [35] Anyone who does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother.”

Luke 2:48-51 NLT
His parents didn’t know what to think. “Son,” his mother said to him, “why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been frantic, searching for you everywhere.” [49] “But why did you need to search?” he asked. “Didn’t you know that I must be in my Father’s house?” [50] But they didn’t understand what he meant. [51] Then he returned to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them. And his mother stored all these things in her heart.

Luke 1:24-25 NLT
Soon afterward his wife, Elizabeth, became pregnant and went into seclusion for five months. [25] “How kind the Lord is!” she exclaimed. “He has taken away my disgrace of having no children.”

Upvote 0

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Joseph, the golden boy :).

Genesis 37:4-11 NLT
But his brothers hated Joseph because their father loved him more than the rest of them. They couldn’t say a kind word to him. [5] One night Joseph had a dream, and when he told his brothers about it, they hated him more than ever. [6] “Listen to this dream,” he said. [7] “We were out in the field, tying up bundles of grain. Suddenly my bundle stood up, and your bundles all gathered around and bowed low before mine!” [8] His brothers responded, “So you think you will be our king, do you? Do you actually think you will reign over us?” And they hated him all the more because of his dreams and the way he talked about them. [9] Soon Joseph had another dream, and again he told his brothers about it. “Listen, I have had another dream,” he said. “The sun, moon, and eleven stars bowed low before me!” [10] This time he told the dream to his father as well as to his brothers, but his father scolded him. “What kind of dream is that?” he asked. “Will your mother and I and your brothers actually come and bow to the ground before you?” [11] But while his brothers were jealous of Joseph, his father wondered what the dreams meant.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
  • Haha
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are we considering that to be perfect one would need to be without sin?

How was Jesus Perfect?

Matthew 5:17 NLT
“Don’t misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose.

John 8:45-47 NLT
So when I tell the truth, you just naturally don’t believe me! [46] Which of you can truthfully accuse me of sin? And since I am telling you the truth, why don’t you believe me? [47] Anyone who belongs to God listens gladly to the words of God. But you don’t listen because you don’t belong to God.”

1 Peter 2:21-25 NLT
For God called you to do good, even if it means suffering, just as Christ suffered for you. He is your example, and you must follow in his steps. [22] He never sinned, nor ever deceived anyone. [23] He did not retaliate when he was insulted, nor threaten revenge when he suffered. He left his case in the hands of God, who always judges fairly. [24] He personally carried our sins in his body on the cross so that we can be dead to sin and live for what is right. By his wounds you are healed. [25] Once you were like sheep who wandered away. But now you have turned to your Shepherd, the Guardian of your souls.

Luke 4:1-9,11-13 NLT
Then Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan River. He was led by the Spirit in the wilderness, [2] where he was tempted by the devil for forty days. Jesus ate nothing all that time and became very hungry. [3] Then the devil said to him, “If you are the Son of God, tell this stone to become a loaf of bread.” [4] But Jesus told him, “No! The Scriptures say, ‘People do not live by bread alone.’ ” [5] Then the devil took him up and revealed to him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. [6] “I will give you the glory of these kingdoms and authority over them,” the devil said, “because they are mine to give to anyone I please. [7] I will give it all to you if you will worship me.” [8] Jesus replied, “The Scriptures say, ‘You must worship the LORD your God and serve only him.’ ” [9] Then the devil took him to Jerusalem, to the highest point of the Temple, and said, “If you are the Son of God, jump off! [11] And they will hold you up with their hands so you won’t even hurt your foot on a stone.’ ” [12] Jesus responded, “The Scriptures also say, ‘You must not test the LORD your God.’ ” [13] When the devil had finished tempting Jesus, he left him until the next opportunity came.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What should we think about all those who say they are sinless today?

Ezekiel 28:12-19 NLT
“Son of man, sing this funeral song for the king of Tyre. Give him this message from the Sovereign LORD: “You were the model of perfection, full of wisdom and exquisite in beauty. [13] You were in Eden, the garden of God. Your clothing was adorned with every precious stone— red carnelian, pale-green peridot, white moonstone, blue-green beryl, onyx, green jasper, blue lapis lazuli, turquoise, and emerald— all beautifully crafted for you and set in the finest gold. They were given to you on the day you were created. [14] I ordained and anointed you as the mighty angelic guardian. You had access to the holy mountain of God and walked among the stones of fire. [15] “You were blameless in all you did from the day you were created until the day evil was found in you. [16] Your rich commerce led you to violence, and you sinned. So I banished you in disgrace from the mountain of God. I expelled you, O mighty guardian, from your place among the stones of fire. [17] Your heart was filled with pride because of all your beauty. Your wisdom was corrupted by your love of splendor. So I threw you to the ground and exposed you to the curious gaze of kings. [18] You defiled your sanctuaries with your many sins and your dishonest trade. So I brought fire out from within you, and it consumed you. I reduced you to ashes on the ground in the sight of all who were watching. [19] All who knew you are appalled at your fate. You have come to a terrible end, and you will exist no more.”

Luke 18:9-14 NLT
Then Jesus told this story to some who had great confidence in their own righteousness and scorned everyone else: [10] “Two men went to the Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a despised tax collector. [11] The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayer: ‘I thank you, God, that I am not like other people—cheaters, sinners, adulterers. I’m certainly not like that tax collector! [12] I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income.’ [13] “But the tax collector stood at a distance and dared not even lift his eyes to heaven as he prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in sorrow, saying, ‘O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner.’ [14] I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified before God. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

Matthew 23:1-13,15-36 NLT
Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples, [2] “The teachers of religious law and the Pharisees are the official interpreters of the law of Moses. [3] So practice and obey whatever they tell you, but don’t follow their example. For they don’t practice what they teach. [4] They crush people with unbearable religious demands and never lift a finger to ease the burden. [5] “Everything they do is for show. On their arms they wear extra wide prayer boxes with Scripture verses inside, and they wear robes with extra long tassels. [6] And they love to sit at the head table at banquets and in the seats of honor in the synagogues. [7] They love to receive respectful greetings as they walk in the marketplaces, and to be called ‘Rabbi.’ [8] “Don’t let anyone call you ‘Rabbi,’ for you have only one teacher, and all of you are equal as brothers and sisters. [9] And don’t address anyone here on earth as ‘Father,’ for only God in heaven is your Father. [10] And don’t let anyone call you ‘Teacher,’ for you have only one teacher, the Messiah. [11] The greatest among you must be a servant. [12] But those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted. [13] “What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you shut the door of the Kingdom of Heaven in people’s faces. You won’t go in yourselves, and you don’t let others enter either. [15] “What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you cross land and sea to make one convert, and then you turn that person into twice the child of hell you yourselves are! [16] “Blind guides! What sorrow awaits you! For you say that it means nothing to swear ‘by God’s Temple,’ but that it is binding to swear ‘by the gold in the Temple.’ [17] Blind fools! Which is more important—the gold or the Temple that makes the gold sacred? [18] And you say that to swear ‘by the altar’ is not binding, but to swear ‘by the gifts on the altar’ is binding. [19] How blind! For which is more important—the gift on the altar or the altar that makes the gift sacred? [20] When you swear ‘by the altar,’ you are swearing by it and by everything on it. [21] And when you swear ‘by the Temple,’ you are swearing by it and by God, who lives in it. [22] And when you swear ‘by heaven,’ you are swearing by the throne of God and by God, who sits on the throne. [23] “What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore the more important aspects of the law—justice, mercy, and faith. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things. [24] Blind guides! You strain your water so you won’t accidentally swallow a gnat, but you swallow a camel! [25] “What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are so careful to clean the outside of the cup and the dish, but inside you are filthy—full of greed and self-indulgence! [26] You blind Pharisee! First wash the inside of the cup and the dish, and then the outside will become clean, too. [27] “What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs—beautiful on the outside but filled on the inside with dead people’s bones and all sorts of impurity. [28] Outwardly you look like righteous people, but inwardly your hearts are filled with hypocrisy and lawlessness. [29] “What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you build tombs for the prophets your ancestors killed, and you decorate the monuments of the godly people your ancestors destroyed. [30] Then you say, ‘If we had lived in the days of our ancestors, we would never have joined them in killing the prophets.’ [31] “But in saying that, you testify against yourselves that you are indeed the descendants of those who murdered the prophets. [32] Go ahead and finish what your ancestors started. [33] Snakes! Sons of vipers! How will you escape the judgment of hell? [34] “Therefore, I am sending you prophets and wise men and teachers of religious law. But you will kill some by crucifixion, and you will flog others with whips in your synagogues, chasing them from city to city. [35] As a result, you will be held responsible for the murder of all godly people of all time—from the murder of righteous Abel to the murder of Zechariah son of Berekiah, whom you killed in the Temple between the sanctuary and the altar. [36] I tell you the truth, this judgment will fall on this very generation.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Romans 3:10-20 NLT
As the Scriptures say, “No one is righteous— not even one. [11] No one is truly wise; no one is seeking God. [12] All have turned away; all have become useless. No one does good, not a single one.” [13] “Their talk is foul, like the stench from an open grave. Their tongues are filled with lies.” “Snake venom drips from their lips.” [14] “Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness.” [15] “They rush to commit murder. [16] Destruction and misery always follow them. [17] They don’t know where to find peace.” [18] “They have no fear of God at all.” [19] Obviously, the law applies to those to whom it was given, for its purpose is to keep people from having excuses, and to show that the entire world is guilty before God. [20] For no one can ever be made right with God by doing what the law commands. The law simply shows us how sinful we are.

Romans 2:17-29 NLT
You who call yourselves Jews are relying on God’s law, and you boast about your special relationship with him. [18] You know what he wants; you know what is right because you have been taught his law. [19] You are convinced that you are a guide for the blind and a light for people who are lost in darkness. [20] You think you can instruct the ignorant and teach children the ways of God. For you are certain that God’s law gives you complete knowledge and truth. [21] Well then, if you teach others, why don’t you teach yourself? You tell others not to steal, but do you steal? [22] You say it is wrong to commit adultery, but do you commit adultery? You condemn idolatry, but do you use items stolen from pagan temples? [23] You are so proud of knowing the law, but you dishonor God by breaking it. [24] No wonder the Scriptures say, “The Gentiles blaspheme the name of God because of you.” [25] The Jewish ceremony of circumcision has value only if you obey God’s law. But if you don’t obey God’s law, you are no better off than an uncircumcised Gentile. [26] And if the Gentiles obey God’s law, won’t God declare them to be his own people? [27] In fact, uncircumcised Gentiles who keep God’s law will condemn you Jews who are circumcised and possess God’s law but don’t obey it. [28] For you are not a true Jew just because you were born of Jewish parents or because you have gone through the ceremony of circumcision. [29] No, a true Jew is one whose heart is right with God. And true circumcision is not merely obeying the letter of the law; rather, it is a change of heart produced by the Spirit. And a person with a changed heart seeks praise from God, not from people.

Romans 10:3 NLT
For they don’t understand God’s way of making people right with himself. Refusing to accept God’s way, they cling to their own way of getting right with God by trying to keep the law.

Galatians 2:16-21 NLT
Yet we know that a person is made right with God by faith in Jesus Christ, not by obeying the law. And we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we might be made right with God because of our faith in Christ, not because we have obeyed the law. For no one will ever be made right with God by obeying the law.” [17] But suppose we seek to be made right with God through faith in Christ and then we are found guilty because we have abandoned the law. Would that mean Christ has led us into sin? Absolutely not! [18] Rather, I am a sinner if I rebuild the old system of law I already tore down. [19] For when I tried to keep the law, it condemned me. So I died to the law— I stopped trying to meet all its requirements—so that I might live for God. [20] My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. [21] I do not treat the grace of God as meaningless. For if keeping the law could make us right with God, then there was no need for Christ to die.

Galatians 3:1-14 NLT
Oh, foolish Galatians! Who has cast an evil spell on you? For the meaning of Jesus Christ’s death was made as clear to you as if you had seen a picture of his death on the cross. [2] Let me ask you this one question: Did you receive the Holy Spirit by obeying the law of Moses? Of course not! You received the Spirit because you believed the message you heard about Christ. [3] How foolish can you be? After starting your new lives in the Spirit, why are you now trying to become perfect by your own human effort? [4] Have you experienced so much for nothing? Surely it was not in vain, was it? [5] I ask you again, does God give you the Holy Spirit and work miracles among you because you obey the law? Of course not! It is because you believe the message you heard about Christ. [6] In the same way, “Abraham believed God, and God counted him as righteous because of his faith.” [7] The real children of Abraham, then, are those who put their faith in God. [8] What’s more, the Scriptures looked forward to this time when God would make the Gentiles right in his sight because of their faith. God proclaimed this good news to Abraham long ago when he said, “All nations will be blessed through you.” [9] So all who put their faith in Christ share the same blessing Abraham received because of his faith. [10] But those who depend on the law to make them right with God are under his curse, for the Scriptures say, “Cursed is everyone who does not observe and obey all the commands that are written in God’s Book of the Law.” [11] So it is clear that no one can be made right with God by trying to keep the law. For the Scriptures say, “It is through faith that a righteous person has life.” [12] This way of faith is very different from the way of law, which says, “It is through obeying the law that a person has life.” [13] But Christ has rescued us from the curse pronounced by the law. When he was hung on the cross, he took upon himself the curse for our wrongdoing. For it is written in the Scriptures, “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree.” [14] Through Christ Jesus, God has blessed the Gentiles with the same blessing he promised to Abraham, so that we who are believers might receive the promised Holy Spirit through faith.

2 Corinthians 5:21 NLT
For God made Christ, who never sinned, to be the offering for our sin, so that we could be made right with God through Christ.

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Genesis 37:4-11 NLT
But his brothers hated Joseph because their father loved him more than the rest of them. They couldn’t say a kind word to him. [5] One night Joseph had a dream, and when he told his brothers about it, they hated him more than ever. [6] “Listen to this dream,” he said. [7] “We were out in the field, tying up bundles of grain. Suddenly my bundle stood up, and your bundles all gathered around and bowed low before mine!” [8] His brothers responded, “So you think you will be our king, do you? Do you actually think you will reign over us?” And they hated him all the more because of his dreams and the way he talked about them. [9] Soon Joseph had another dream, and again he told his brothers about it. “Listen, I have had another dream,” he said. “The sun, moon, and eleven stars bowed low before me!” [10] This time he told the dream to his father as well as to his brothers, but his father scolded him. “What kind of dream is that?” he asked. “Will your mother and I and your brothers actually come and bow to the ground before you?” [11] But while his brothers were jealous of Joseph, his father wondered what the dreams meant.
I'm quite aware of the scriptures. Was there a point? Maybe you were just re-narrating the passages, which is OK.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
How was Jesus Perfect?

Matthew 5:17 NLT
“Don’t misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose.

John 8:45-47 NLT
So when I tell the truth, you just naturally don’t believe me! [46] Which of you can truthfully accuse me of sin? And since I am telling you the truth, why don’t you believe me? [47] Anyone who belongs to God listens gladly to the words of God. But you don’t listen because you don’t belong to God.”

1 Peter 2:21-25 NLT
For God called you to do good, even if it means suffering, just as Christ suffered for you. He is your example, and you must follow in his steps. [22] He never sinned, nor ever deceived anyone. [23] He did not retaliate when he was insulted, nor threaten revenge when he suffered. He left his case in the hands of God, who always judges fairly. [24] He personally carried our sins in his body on the cross so that we can be dead to sin and live for what is right. By his wounds you are healed. [25] Once you were like sheep who wandered away. But now you have turned to your Shepherd, the Guardian of your souls.

Luke 4:1-9,11-13 NLT
Then Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan River. He was led by the Spirit in the wilderness, [2] where he was tempted by the devil for forty days. Jesus ate nothing all that time and became very hungry. [3] Then the devil said to him, “If you are the Son of God, tell this stone to become a loaf of bread.” [4] But Jesus told him, “No! The Scriptures say, ‘People do not live by bread alone.’ ” [5] Then the devil took him up and revealed to him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. [6] “I will give you the glory of these kingdoms and authority over them,” the devil said, “because they are mine to give to anyone I please. [7] I will give it all to you if you will worship me.” [8] Jesus replied, “The Scriptures say, ‘You must worship the LORD your God and serve only him.’ ” [9] Then the devil took him to Jerusalem, to the highest point of the Temple, and said, “If you are the Son of God, jump off! [11] And they will hold you up with their hands so you won’t even hurt your foot on a stone.’ ” [12] Jesus responded, “The Scriptures also say, ‘You must not test the LORD your God.’ ” [13] When the devil had finished tempting Jesus, he left him until the next opportunity came.
Got it. You were just explaining how the Lord was perfect. Praise the Lord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0