Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Clement Attlee , UK Prime Minister of the post-war Labour Government , 1945-1951 , the best Prime Minister of my lifetime leading the best government of my lifetime .

Attlee.jpg

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Going back a few centuries , but I must include this man......

Saint Edmund Campion

campion.jpg

A Jesuit priest and martyr , born around 1540, Edmund Campion was the son of a London bookseller and educated at Christ's hospital. He won a scholarship to St John's College Oxford in 1557 where he was a brilliant and popular student. When Queen Elizabeth I visited Oxford in 1566 he was chosen by the university as orator to welcome her.

Edmund was ordained as an Anglican deacon in 1569, but openly expressed his uncertainty about his religious beliefs. After a spell in Ireland where he helped found a university (later Trinity College) and wrote a history of the country, he returned to England in 1571 and then went to France to go to the English College in Douai where he professed his Catholic faith and was ordained subdeacon.

He left for Rome later that year to join the Jesuits. After his novitiate at Brunn, he taught at the Jesuit College in Prague. He was ordained priest there in 1578. In 1580 Edmund and another priest Robert Persons were chosen to start a mission in England. On his journey he visited Charles Borromeo in Milan. He arrived at Dover disguised as a jewel merchant.

Edmund first ministered to Catholic prisoners and wrote a document in which he challenged the Privy Council, describing his mission as 'one of free cost to preach the Gospels, minister the Sacraments, instruct the simple, reform sinners, to refute errors, in brief to cry alarm spiritual against foul vice and proud ignorance, wherewith many of my dear countrymen are abused.'

His attractive personality, courage, eloquence and learning gave new heart to Catholics struggling to keep their faith in England. But his charismatic preaching was something the authorities could not ignore.

Often in disguise, Campion travelled throughout Lancashire, Yorkshire and the Midlands, preaching, celebrating Mass and administering the Sacraments. He wrote a pamphlet openly challenging Protestants to debate with him. At a service at St Mary's Church in Oxford 400 copies were secretly distributed.

Campion was finally arrested in Lyford Grange in Berkshire. He was taken to the Tower of London and tortured, but refused to give up his faith. On 14 November he was indicted with others in Westminster Hall on the fabricated charge of trying to incite a rebellion. In spite of his able defence, the jury found him guilty of treason and he was condemned to death.

When Campion heard the sentence he said: " In condemning us you condemn all your own ancestors all the ancient bishops and kings, all that was once the glory of England."

Campion stressed his loyalty to the Queen. His only offence was his religion.

With Alexander Briant and Ralph Sherwin he was hung , drawn and quartered at Tyburn in 1581.

It has been said that when he died, the Elizabethan age lost one of its most brilliant thinkers and writers.

Edmund Campion was canonised as one of the 40 martyrs of England and Wales in 1970.

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
England was a tough place to be a catholic in those days, Colin.
How is it now?

It's no problem being a Catholic here , Paul .

Along with many other Christians , Catholics are often at variance with conventional wisdom , but we aren't persecuted for it , just mocked a little in the media , but usually ignored .

The monarch still can't be a Catholic , but I don't think that will effect me . :)

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Any chance of a catholic queen or king in the future? :)

No .

As long as the monarch is the Supreme Governor of the Church of England it wouldn't make sense for a monarch to be a Catholic .

I'm all for disestablishing the Church of England for the same reasons I would not have favoured the Catholic Church's Concordat with Fascist Spain under Generalísimo Francisco Franco .

There ought not to be State churches or religions .

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Suenens.jpg
Cardinal Leo Joseph Suenens (16 July 1904 – 6 May 1996) , Archbishop of Mechelen-Brussels from 1961 to 1979......one of the outstanding figures of the Second Vatican Council , and one of the first high rankling clerics to welcome the Catholic Charismatic Renewal .

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Brother and sister , Hans and Sophie Scholl were executed by the Nazis .

As students at the University of Munich , they were founder members of The White Rose . It was a non-violent resistance group. The group conducted an anonymous leaflet and graffiti campaign which called for active opposition against the Nazi regime. Their activities started in Munich in June 1942, and ended with the arrest of the core group by the Gestapo in February 1943. They, as well as other members and supporters of the group who carried on distributing the pamphlets, faced unjust trials by the Nazis and many were sentenced to death or imprisonment.

800px-Stamps_of_Germany_%28DDR%29_1961%2C_MiNr_0852.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Violette Szabo GC (nee Bushell; 26 June 1921 – c. 5 February 1945) was a French-born English Special Operations Executive (SOE) agent during WW 2 and a posthumous recipient of the George Cross . On her second mission into occupied France, Szabo was captured by the German army, interrogated, tortured and deported to Ravensbrook concentration camp in Germany, where she was executed.

Violette_Szabo_IWM_photo.jpg

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Mohamed Muktar Jama Farah , commonly known as Mo Farah ......British athlete , and Olympic Gold Medals winner ......a man who brings a smile to Britain......

Mo Farah Wins 10,000m Gold - London 2012 Olympics......

Mo Farah Wins Men's 5000m Gold - London 2012 Olympics......

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
I don't mind saying I admire Davidnic. He would be a bonus to any denom. and Catholics on here should be very grateful he's on "our" team. :)
Davidnic is responsible for prompting me into looking into the "Examen" of St Ignatius of Loyola , founder of the Jesuits , which in turn has prompted me into looking into the spirituality of St Ignatius of Loyola , and I have been and I am being enriched by it .

• Informative
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0