Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I have a dream
that one day catholics wont be judged
by their nationality, age, number of times they go to Mass,
which political party they vote for,
or whether their favourite Pope is the current one or not.

Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Roger Tory Peterson American naturalist, ornithologist, artist, and educator, and held to be one of the founding inspirations for the 20th-century environmental movement. Author of the famous Peterson field guides.
He was a birder before birding was cool

rtpeterson2.jpg

Reactions: Colin
Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Tom Finney , perhaps the greatest footballer England has had , with two outstanding qualities , modesty and loyalty .

He was born on April 5 1922 at Preston in Lancashire , within earshot of the Deepdale ground where Preston North End played their matches . His father, Alf, worked occasionally as a clerk but was often unemployed. One of six children, young Tom grew up in poverty made harder by the death of his mother when he was just four. His stepmother encouraged his football .

Known as the “Preston Plumber” for the trade he continued to ply (even while playing in his first 10 England games), Finney scored 30 international goals and created many more. In the league he gave loyal service to only one club, Preston North End, where between 1946 and 1960 he made 473 appearances, scoring 210 goals.

He died in 2014 .

Tom-Finney-in-1949-008.jpg

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Russell Means, Native American activist and previous leader in the American Indian Movement. He was known to be controversial but he was such a strong voice and influence for Native Americans during his lifetime. I learned so much from his speeches and from his early example of leadership in AIM. I think he was a great modern day warrior.

RussellMeansAIM.jpg

Attachments

• RussellMeansQuote.jpg
    RussellMeansQuote.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
bettercallpaul's father, bettercallvirgil

Had seven boys, never had a sick day from his job of 40 years on the Railways. Used to assist my Mom with cooking and doing dishes, consistent gardener, then found time to go to Church on Sunday (giving a tidy sum to the Church each week), then visit the sick in Hospital. Oh and did I mention? he was President of the St Vincent de Paul for 20 years. (us kids used to help with clothes collection drives.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Russell Means, Native American activist and previous leader in the American Indian Movement. He was known to be controversial but he was such a strong voice and influence for Native Americans during his lifetime. I learned so much from his speeches and from his early example of leadership in AIM. I think he was a great modern day warrior.

View attachment 175967
I've always felt sorry for the Palestinians anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,345.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It is somewhat sad it is I, an atheist who has to point out Bishop Bernard Sheil. Most famous as the driving force behind the creation of the CYO. A man who fought to help kids irrespective of their race long before it was popular. I'm inclined to believe he was also one who reached out to those of other faiths and perhaps even those of no faith at all.

Here an account of the incident that is the center of my admiration for the man:
Bishop Sheil made himself just as unpopular with fringers on the right as with those on the left. At one forum on Christian-Jewish relations he was viciously heckled by a delegation of Christian Fronters, and a virago pushed her way towards him as he was leaving. "I'm a Catholic!" she screamed. "You're not a Catholic—you're a [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]-lover and a Jew-lover. You call yourself a bishop. You're not a bishop, you're a rabbi." And she spat in his face.

Bishop Sheil did not move a muscle. "I thank you. madam, for the compliment of your action and your words." he said calmly. "Rabbi? That is what they called our Lord." Time Magazine 1953.

to learn more: http://hickeysite.blogspot.com/2011/05/before-pc-killed-history-there-was.html

EDIT: What is censored from the quote is an impolite term for blacks.

Reactions: Colin
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I have three heros, men who have inspired me for very different reasons.

Sitting Bull, for his spirituality, and his inner peace in the face of the encroachment of white society. I learned from him the love of God's creation, and the dignity of all people.
sitting-bull-headdress-detail.jpg

Pope Saint John Paul II. He brought me into the Catholic Church. From him I will always here the words, "Be not afriad."
360_pope_0127.jpg

Subcommandante Marcos. A real life Zorro, Robin Hood. He taught me that justice for the poor and oppressed is worth fighting for and that heros really do exist, they are not fairy tales.
_75095186_e178a109-bbbf-4d5a-97b3-310703299a40.jpg

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Queen Elizabeth .

She has lived 90 years, 1 month, and 20 days .

During that time she has been Monarch , Head of State , for 64 years, 4 months, and 3 days .

No one in the country can match the duty and service she has given to her country and Commonwealth .

mw169670.jpg

160419163058-45-queen-elizabeth-ii-0805-super-169.jpg

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Sitting Bull, for his spirituality, and his inner peace in the face of the encroachment of white society. I learned from him the love of God's creation, and the dignity of all people.
sitting-bull-headdress-detail.jpg

A'ho. Tatanka Iyotake was a great warrior of the Lakota and for other NDN Nations. He died as he lived, with honor and integrity, fighting for the rights of his people.

600_Chief_Sitting_Bull-Quote_031007.jpg

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Pope Saint John Paul II. He brought me into the Catholic Church. From him I will always here the words, "Be not afriad."
360_pope_0127.jpg

Subcommandante Marcos. A real life Zorro, Robin Hood. He taught me that justice for the poor and oppressed is worth fighting for and that heros really do exist, they are not fairy tales.
_75095186_e178a109-bbbf-4d5a-97b3-310703299a40.jpg

Wonderful inspirations. Thank you for sharing.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
A'ho. Tatanka Iyotake was a great warrior of the Lakota and for other NDN Nations. He died as he lived, with honor and integrity, fighting for the rights of his people.

View attachment 176018
Although I'm thoroughly Christian, I am inspired by Lakota Spirituality--I'm sure the Jesuits was shocked to the core to find monotheists in the middle of the continent. I used to be a part of an NDN circle. It was hard to shut up and listen (I'm a big-mouthed Jew! LOL) but when I did, I learned a lot.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Although I'm thoroughly Christian, I am inspired by Lakota Spirituality--I'm sure the Jesuits was shocked to the core to find monotheists in the middle of the continent. I used to be a part of an NDN circle. It was hard to shut up and listen (I'm a big-mouthed Jew! LOL) but when I did, I learned a lot.

Thank you for your response. I read your thread on Wakan Tanka, by the way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I've always felt sorry for the Palestinians anyway.
I feel sorry for the Israelis. It's taken Jews 2000 years to come back to our homeland -- kind of like the Maine Indian Claims Settlement Act of 1980 only better. Only everyone in the area around Israel wants to destroy our nation because the Quran teaches that Jews are inferior and so a Jewish state clearly more advanced than theirs simply can't be allowed to exist. If the Palestinians would just accept Israel as a Jewish state, there would be NO violence.

Last edited:
Upvote 0