Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Whether or not people should be legally allowed to ask for money in public places is under review in many cities across the country. While there are safety concerns being cited, Christians and other religious leaders are conflicted about where to stand on the issue given their desire to encourage charitable giving.

Continued below.
People of faith wrestle with major crackdown on panhandling

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am weary of the current attitude that begging for money is somehow sanctified. I know this is not about panhandlers, but we are guilted into giving to all kinds of charities whose use of the funds tend to be 90% for administration and %!0 for the charitable cause. This includes churches who use the money to pay interest on ungodly borrowing and for their staff with very little going back to the congregational needs. At least a panhandler will use it on himself, even it is for another drink or for some drug.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
It's really 'not cool' when someone approaches your car with a bucket and a squeegee, proceeds to wash your windshield, all the while you are telling the "no, no thanks" and they start cursing and hitting your car when you don't give them any money. Yes, something needs to be done about that.

Reactions: bill5
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I used to give them money until I found out that a lot of them are just trying to get money to support a drug addiction. That's not to say that there aren't some who are really in need, but there's no way to know unless you know the person. In The Rich Man and Lazarus story, notice that the rich man knows Lazarus by name.

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I am weary of the current attitude that begging for money is somehow sanctified. I know this is not about panhandlers, but we are guilted into giving to all kinds of charities whose use of the funds tend to be 90% for administration and %!0 for the charitable cause. This includes churches who use the money to pay interest on ungodly borrowing and for their staff with very little going back to the congregational needs.
?? Where on earth are you getting this? Regardless, it's quite wrong (with very rare exceptions at most).

At least a panhandler will use it on himself, even it is for another drink or for some drug.
So you're OK with a panhandler using handouts for booze or drugs...but not charities because you aren't happy with how you think they manage their money. OK...

I think we've been down this road (topic) before and I thought this was rather common knowledge by now but FYI nearly all of the panhandlers you see today are NOT homeless, starving, destitute etc etc etc... they are frankly lazy, money-grubbing losers looking for free money. Ask any cop (who deal with most of them more than anyone in most cases) if you don't believe me. This has been studied more than once. They get nothing more than a harsh stare from me. Giving them money is nothing to be proud of or feel good or "Christian" about.

If you don't believe me......hey brother, spare a $20? Meet you at the intersection. I'm really homeless and starving. Honest! And you know I'm legit because my cardboard sign says "God bless."

;)

Reactions: AvgJoe
Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
One day I was driving in the city to where all the Medical centers amd colleges are located, I had to drive through a section called the Methadone Mile. It is where all the methadone clinics are located .

It looked like the walking dead. There were heroin addicts nodding off all over the place. Syringes everywhere. One younger woman was at the intersection stooped and nodding from a fresh boot. She was at least 8 months pregnant. I couldn't even imagine her world.

Then at the lights neat Boston Medical center there are winos everywhere, they approach your car with squeegies or flowers.

I feel so bad for them, their lives are lives no one would can even comprehend.

But giving them money is beyond naive. 99.9999999 are going to buy booze or smack.

There are shelters all over this area that provide meals and the myriad of hospitals provide healthcare.

I know this offers only the basics to devastated souls but giving money is probably noypt the answer.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
?? Where on earth are you getting this? Regardless, it's quite wrong (with very rare exceptions at most).

So you're OK with a panhandler using handouts for booze or drugs...but not charities because you aren't happy with how you think they manage their money. OK...

I think we've been down this road (topic) before and I thought this was rather common knowledge by now but FYI nearly all of the panhandlers you see today are NOT homeless, starving, destitute etc etc etc... they are frankly lazy, money-grubbing losers looking for free money. Ask any cop (who deal with most of them more than anyone in most cases) if you don't believe me. This has been studied more than once. They get nothing more than a harsh stare from me. Giving them money is nothing to be proud of or feel good or "Christian" about.

If you don't believe me......hey brother, spare a $20? Meet you at the intersection. I'm really homeless and starving. Honest! And you know I'm legit because my cardboard sign says "God bless."

;)

I would be careful with calling people losers. Some are mentally ill, others alcoholic and many drug addicts.

Yes, don't give them cash but don't belittle them.

Upvote 0