The Paraclete was released if and only if Jesus died.

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,567.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Holy Spirit permanently dwells in a person after Jesus' death on the cross.

Let proposition G = Jesus goes away.
P = The Paraclete comes to us.

John 16:

7 But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate [Paraclete] will not come to you;
¬G → ¬P

But if I go, I will send him to you.
G → P

Therefore, P ↔ G. The Paraclete comes to us iff Jesus goes away.

John 7:39 affirms a similar concept:

Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive, for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.
The Holy Spirit filled some OT people. Why was the Paraclete only released in the NT?

Only after Jesus' sacrifice could his blood cleanse people's vessels to receive the Paraclete dwelling in them. Only after Jesus' cross were believers sealed with the Paraclete (Ephesians 1:13).

See People in the OT who were said to have the Spirit in them.

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
The Holy Spirit permanently dwells in a person after Jesus' death on the cross.

Let proposition G = Jesus goes away.
P = The Paraclete comes to us.

John 16:

¬G → ¬P

G → P

Therefore, P ↔ G. The Paraclete comes to us iff Jesus goes away.

John 7:39 affirms a similar concept:

The Holy Spirit filled some OT people. Why was the Paraclete only released in the NT?

Only after Jesus' sacrifice could his blood cleanse people's vessels to receive the Paraclete dwelling in them. Only after Jesus' cross were believers sealed with the Paraclete (Ephesians 1:13).

See People in the OT who were said to have the Spirit in them.
Just two short comments:

1. To my knowledge, the paraclete is not referred to as the 'paraclete' earlier, but as the Spirit, which was around before Jesus was born. Thus, as you have said elsewhere, "paraclete" can be taken as the office of paraclete, or as that particular function of the Spirit.

2. The Spirit of God came also in the function of the 'filling' as I think the Dispensationalists correctly show (they do little else right) as contrasted to the 'indwelling', which in my opinion has been around since the salvation of Adam, Eve, Able and Seth.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Define paraclete.
Comforter, Counselor, Advocate. But make your point. 'Paraclete' is the word you used for this thread.

My point is that if Salvation necessarily includes regeneration, which is by the work of the indwelling Spirit, the 'fount of living water', then if the Spirit shows up after Salvation (and regeneration) is already happened before Christ, (eg, Old Testament times), then the apparent displacement terminology is not about indwelling.

I have yet to see that a person can be saved apart from also being regenerated, at any time. The Gospel is no different in the OT.

Upvote 0