Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
There is nothing wrong with looking into other branches of the Christian family. First, why not do some research and then go visit a few churches that are not Pentecostal? You may or may not find something that better meets your spiritual needs.

Upvote 0

RevCharlesG

Dec 16, 2017
Lansing
✟9,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Separated
ironically enough I was a licensed minister in the Pentecostal Church of God. I find many things I don't agree with now that I believed an was taught growing up. such as a works based faith/salvation, and that speaking in tongues was proof of salvation. both I strongly disagree with. I will say I do miss some of the emotional excitement I felt, but I know I have a better and deeper understanding of grace, salvation, and love now than I ever did before.

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
ironically enough I was a licensed minister in the Pentecostal Church of God. I find many things I don't agree with now that I believed an was taught growing up. such as a works based faith/salvation, and that speaking in tongues was proof of salvation. both I strongly disagree with. I will say I do miss some of the emotional excitement I felt, but I know I have a better and deeper understanding of grace, salvation, and love now than I ever did before.
There are a great many churches, other than Pentecostal, which do not deny the ongoing gifts of the Spirit including the practice of tongues.

All who try to practice such things are not overly emotional - although there does seem to be a bit more zeal in charismatic churches than most other kinds of churches, IMO.

Not all charismatic churches believe that tongues is proof of salvation.

Not all charismatic churches believe in a works based salvation.

I currently go to a Reformed leaning church with a generally Baptist background.

We do not practice so called charismatic things in the service. But no one who practices these things in private is looked down upon by those who don't and no one who does not is looked down upon by those who do.

We often discuss and debate charismatic things in our home groups although the pulpit is usually kept neutral - except for an strong affirmation of answered prayer received by faith.

There is a good percentage of charismatics in the congregation although certainly not the majority.

The zeal of the charismatics seems to carry over to the others in that they also display a fervent worship and believing prayer life.

Don't give up those things you do see in the scriptures just to fit in somewhere - is my advice. There are churches out there that encompass most of the things we hold as important - including doctrines which are sometimes controversial.

Keep looking is my advice and the Lord will show you a good church.

• Winner
Reactions: RevCharlesG
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I do miss some of the emotional excitement I felt, but I know I have a better and deeper understanding of grace, salvation, and love now than I ever did before.

I don't miss the emotional excitement.
Always found it to be rather man-made.
I'm in church today to worship God
not for a touchy feeling
or some kind of an experience.
M-Bob

Reactions: RevCharlesG
Upvote 0