Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
there're two types of pen and paper RPG, one with a system that keeps scores and levels, one that doesn't have such a system.

there's also a distinction in RPG, some allow players to control other players' characters, some don't.

personally i prefer one without a number system, since having number just doesn't add up when you're writing a story.. and it's restrictive and drags the pace of the rpg.

but i guess i can get used to it since i haven't tried a lot of that before.

Upvote 0

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
well, having numbers drag the story down and everything happens in little bits and pieces rather than large bits and pieces...
experienced rpg players would know not to write that the heros win all the times, so in a way, the number system would be good for inexperienced ones as they usually get to end a fight really quickly with no damages whatsoever.

and just to clarify, i'm not saying this type of gaming system is good for non-experienced only.

Kelly said:
how else can you determine success? Otherwise it's just a group 'storytime'

as i said before, rolling dice makes it seems so restrictive in terms of creativity expansion, and i don't think it's a group story time, rather, it's a group 'using your imagination to write coherently' fun time. :)
by coherently i mean not to write in a way that contradicts each other.

have you guys tried rpg without the number system?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kelly

Dungeon Master
Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟24,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One element they provide that co-op narratives do not is the element of randomness. The Game Master (the person who knows the basic elements of the story and represents all the non-player characters the group encounters), has the power to alter the die roll but should do so sparingly and secretly. When players detect dice fudging they often lose respect or push the limits and abuse the gesture.

Having statistics to represent a character's abilities allows everyone to determine their character's exact potential, rather than leaving it up to who can pontificate the greatest.

The narrative side of the gameplay is not lost, however, because the players are encouraged to speak in character and to describe actions along with rolling their dice. Situations where the player would not have the mental capacity to narrate, the dice speak for themselves, without much talk- disarming a bomb for example. Sure my secret agent would know how, but I don't. I roll my explosives skill and let the dice do the work in this case.

Upvote 0

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
personal preference.. definitely seebs.

ok, i think i'm getting it Kelly.. well, looks like we're talking about two different types of pen and paper rpg :) sorry for being confusing.

that does sound fun. But you said speaking out, do the players have to act the characters?

Upvote 0

Kelly

Dungeon Master
Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟24,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's typically a mix of in and out of character speak. The player doesn't completely 'become' the character while playing or anything freaky like that.

It's all about comfort level. Some of my players are not very good at roleplaying and just describe what they are saying. "I tell the magistrate that we will search for the staff but try to get him to pay us more." instead of roleplaying it out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.