✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pelosi on Green New Deal: ‘I can’t say we’re going to take that and pass it’

The ambitious Green New Deal proposal for combating climate change was dealt another blow Wednesday as Speaker Nancy Pelosirefused to commit to holding a vote on the nonbinding resolution.

“I can’t say we’re going to take that and pass it because we have to go through our checks and balances of it with our committee chairs and the rest,” the California Democrat said when asked about the Green New Deal during a Howard University lecture series.

“We welcome all the enthusiasm that people want to put on the table, and the Green New Deal is one of them, but we have to operate in a way that’s evidence-based, current in its data,” Pelosi said.

Pelosi on Green New Deal: ‘I can’t say we’re going to take that and pass it’

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,913.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
From what little I've investigated, GND is a radical proposal that is not fiscally sound by any measure. It's very presence in the public vernacular is concerning and casts a shadow over the future of policy.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
From what little I've investigated, GND is a radical proposal that is not fiscally sound by any measure. It's very presence in the public vernacular is concerning and casts a shadow over the future of policy.
It’s not a proposal at all. It’s a set of goals.

Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married

I suggest reading it before declaring an opinion on it.

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/5729033/Green-New-Deal-FINAL.pdf

It isn’t even a bill, it’s a resolution. Most of what is in it is idealistic goals regarding climate and the environment, nothing too shocking. It is also very different from the way it is portrayed by Trump, his cronies, and the conservative media. No one is trying to eliminate air travel or get rid of flatulent cows.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,913.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
No one is trying to eliminate air travel or get rid of flatulent cows.

It's embarrassing that such language is even present within GDN. If we aren't supposed to take select aspects of the resolution seriously then why take the rest of it seriously at all? It proposes no solutions that would address anthropogenic climate change in any meaningful way, yet infers a obscene price tag that would drown the country in debt faster than the precipitating north pole.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,296.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
It's embarrassing that such language is even present within GDN. If we aren't supposed to take select aspects of the resolution seriously then why take the rest of it seriously at all? It proposes no solutions that would address anthropogenic climate change in any meaningful way, yet infers a obscene price tag that would drown the country in debt faster than the precipitating north pole.
Such language isn't in the GND. And you don't thinking having as a goal a zero emission society is going to have no effect on climate change?

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Such language isn't in the GND. And you don't thinking having as a goal a zero emission society is going to have no effect on climate change?

Yeah the world is going to end in twelve years....the new evangelism based on fear, from the prophets of doom! In the meantime I'll enjoy beef jerky products and pray McDonalds never makes the financial error of replacing beef with soy...gross!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Good thing the GND doesn’t say anything about eliminating air travel then.

• Haha
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,913.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Good thing the GND doesn’t say anything about eliminating air travel then

You wanna do something about climate change? Tell fast food chains to stop factory farming. Tell international trade to cease. Tell companies and corporations to stop producing their wares.

Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
You wanna do something about climate change? Tell fast food chains to stop factory farming. Tell international trade to cease. Tell companies and corporations to stop producing their wares.
What are you talking about? When did I say that?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That’s a good point. We should be funding the programs which have low hanging fruit to pick now.

• Agree
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It’s not a proposal at all. It’s a set of goals.
Yes but every strategic plan goes beyond goals to define the objectives and work/programs supporting the objectives. And like every strategic plan the metrics should also be defined.

I hear a lot from the young representative that if we can get to the moon we can do this. Perhaps.

Yet you and I know getting to the moon started in the late 40s with the advance of rocket and missile designs, tests and data collection. What drove these programs to enter into the space program was the Cold War. We had a arms race which led to a space race and 20 years later had a man on the moon.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0