✟24,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
lambslove said:
Would you please look up the word "pacifist" already? It comes from the Latin, pax- which means "peace," and facere- which means "to make."
No actually it comes from the French passif, from Latin passvus meaning"subject to emotion." :p

Upvote 0

McDLT

Apr 12, 2005
Canada
Visit site
✟4,427.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
lambslove said:
Would you please look up the word "pacifist" already? It comes from the Latin, pax- which means "peace," and facere- which means "to make."

I have looked it up. I belong to a peacemaking denomination. TwinCrier is correct. It is French. From the French word pacific - French pacifique, from Old French pacifice, from Latin p
amacr.gif
cificus : p
amacr.gif
x, p
amacr.gif
c-, peace; see pag- in Indo-European Roots + -ficus, -fic.

pacific

1. Tending to diminish or put an end to conflict; appeasing.
  2. Of a peaceful nature; tranquil.
pacific adjective
1: promoting peace; 3: disposed to peace or of a peaceful nature; "the pacific temper seeks to settle disputes on grounds of justice rather than by force"; "a quiet and peaceable person"; "in a peaceable and orderly manner" [syn: peaceable]

Thanks to dictionary.com (I would hate to have to type it all out ;)). I took out the references to the Pacific Ocean.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

FaithWeaver

Dec 30, 2004
✟7,893.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
McDLT said:
I'm curious as to what others think.

How can we show Christ's peace and be peacemakers actively seeking peace in this day and age?
One of the fruits of the spirit is peace. If we have the Holy Spirit, then we have the peace that passes all understanding. We can show Christ's peace by being humble and by not stressing over everything. When we worry, we pray and leave it in God's hands. God will give Christians the peace that we so desperately desire. When my mother-in-law died in a tragic car accident, it was a very hard and stressful trial. Somehow, my husband and I had that perfect peace that God gives. That peace was spead to other members of the family. Having faith and knowing that God is in control is a great way of obtaining peace.

Reactions: TwinCrier
Upvote 0

rural_preacher

Oct 4, 2004
✟1,555.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
lambslove said:

I looked up the word "peacemaker" and this is the definition I found:

GAM-63 missile powered by a Bell-designed liquid-fueled rocket engine made up of three vertical in-line thrust chambers and developing a thrust of 4000 pounds.

Launch weight – 13,000 pounds

Length – 31 feet

Diameter – 4 feet

Top Speed – Mach 2.95

Payload – 3,000 pound nuclear warhead

Range – 100 miles

Funny how words don't always mean what we think they mean.

--

Upvote 0

rural_preacher

Oct 4, 2004
✟1,555.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Lockheed said:
Does God hate anyone?

Psalm 5:4-8

"You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil; with you the wicked cannot dwell. The arrogant cannot stand in your presence; you hate all who do wrong. You destroy those who tell lies; bloodthirsty and deceitful men the LORD abhors. But I, by your great mercy, will come into your house; in reverence will I bow down toward your holy temple. Lead me, O LORD, in your righteousness because of my enemies—make straight your way before me."

--

Upvote 0

rural_preacher

Oct 4, 2004
✟1,555.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
FaithWeaver said:
One of the fruits of the spirit is peace. If we have the Holy Spirit, then we have the peace that passes all understanding. We can show Christ's peace by being humble and by not stressing over everything. When we worry, we pray and leave it in God's hands. God will give Christians the peace that we so desperately desire. When my mother-in-law died in a tragic car accident, it was a very hard and stressful trial. Somehow, my husband and I had that perfect peace that God gives. That peace was spead to other members of the family. Having faith and knowing that God is in control is a great way of obtaining peace.

Amen!!

This is the true peace that lives in the heart of every believer...even in the midst of a world without peace!

--

Upvote 0

McDLT

Apr 12, 2005
Canada
Visit site
✟4,427.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
rural_preacher said:
I looked up the word "peacemaker" and this is the definition I found:

GAM-63 missile powered by a Bell-designed liquid-fueled rocket engine made up of three vertical in-line thrust chambers and developing a thrust of 4000 pounds.

Launch weight – 13,000 pounds

Length – 31 feet

Diameter – 4 feet

Top Speed – Mach 2.95

Payload – 3,000 pound nuclear warhead

Range – 100 miles

Funny how words don't always mean what we think they mean.

--

LOL - I saw that one too. :p

Although that is not the first definition of peacemaker. They figure that when this baby goes off there will be no one left, thus peace. I don't think eliminating the oppostition is much of a Christian response. ;)

Upvote 0

JPPT1974

May 2024 Spring Fever!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟570,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The reason God doesn't hate anybody?? He is an all-loving and an all-powerful God and that He never, ever will let us down. And that He makes and keeps His promises when we nor everybody in this world doesn't.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lockheed

Mar 2, 2005
✟816.00
Faith
Calvinist
JPPT1974 said:
The reason God doesn't hate anybody?? He is an all-loving and an all-powerful God and that He never, ever will let us down. And that He makes and keeps His promises when we nor everybody in this world doesn't.

JPP, did you not read the last few posts? Apparently Psa 5:5 states that God does hate the wicked... what do you say about Psa 5:5?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.