Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When did the term alt-left come into use? I only heard it for the first time when Trump used it earlier in the week and now, like clockwork, his most loyal are parroting the term like it means something.
Donald J. Trump has the power to turn words into word salad. He can make the sea blind. He can heal the wounds of outrageous Tweets. He is Trump.

• Haha
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh no. It's been around since about the time that the term alt-right became fashionable.
Do you have any evidence? Never mind. I already know the answer.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
And it's "alt-left" terrorist threats, is it? Because you so declare?

That's the name of the post/article. If they had said alt-right, I would have used alt-right.

I don't want to click on your link. Every time I have my computer starts to have convulsions and then freezes up.
So do you know what I should put in a search engine to find where CNN has said this event a Nazi-event?

Your computer doesn't like archive? :mmh:

The far right is planning 9 rallies nationwide this weekend alone - CNN

As per your link, if CNN tells them that it's alt-right, then yeah, the dude is going to want to distance themself.

When did the term alt-left come into use? I only heard it for the first time when Trump used it earlier in the week and now, like clockwork, his most loyal are parroting the term like it means something.

It's been around since alt-right, but I prefer ctrl-left myself. :asd:

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's the name of the post/article. If they had said alt-right, I would have used alt-right.

Your computer doesn't like archive? :mmh:

The far right is planning 9 rallies nationwide this weekend alone - CNN

As per your link, if CNN tells them that it's alt-right, then yeah, the dude is going to want to distance themself.

It's been around since alt-right, but I prefer ctrl-left myself. :asd:
It's a little silly to have a big march to support somebody that doesn't want your support. But keep doubling down.:swoon:

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He is the one who said it is alt-right. They were quoting him and he should know.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,740.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private

I used it back in December. To me it means the left equivalent of the alt-right. Far left doesn't have the same negative connotation as alt-right does. Left wing extremists/radicals may be better suited? Idk.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
It's a little silly to have a big march to support somebody that doesn't want your support. But keep doubling down.:swoon:

What am I exactly doubling down on? The group specifically says it does not have nor wants affiliation with alt-right. It also said it'd throw out anyone doing racist crap. You can say it's dumb to support someone who doesn't want their support, but that doesn't change their right to assemble.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I used it back in December. To me it means the left equivalent of the alt-right. Far left doesn't have the same negative connotation as alt-right does. Left wing extremists/radicals may be better suited? Idk.
I get the point behind it. I suppose I just haven't noticed until recently that the term is becoming more popular ever since Trump used it himself this past weekend. One marked difference seems to be that the people on the alt-Right have donned the name for themselves while alt-left seems to be a name given to leftists by those on the right.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What am I exactly doubling down on? The group specifically says it does not have nor wants affiliation with alt-right. It also said it'd throw out anyone doing racist crap. You can say it's dumb to support someone who doesn't want their support, but that doesn't change their right to assemble.
True. Stupid people do have the same rights as we smart people. However, those rights come with limitations when it comes to being magnets for the violent ones.
IMO Trump is like Pamela Geller in some respects. He seems to relish using violence as a means to draw attention to himself....,, from a safe distance.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

It's been used for at least a year now, with it coming into popularity almost immediately after "alt-right" became a common term, though "ctrl-left" and "the regressive left" are popular variants.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
One marked difference seems to be that the people on the alt-Right have donned the name for themselves while alt-left seems to be a name given to leftists by those on the right.

I see "alt-left" used more by moderate leftists who want to draw an equivalence between "extremists" on the left and right to justify their horseshoe theory.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Do you have any evidence? Never mind. I already know the answer.

https://www.christianforums.com/thr...t left" forum:"909"&sort=date&tab=407&page=15

It's been used on this forum as far back as last august, it's not something that magically sprung from what passes for trumps mind.

Google shows the phrase going back as far as last november.

alt-left - Google Search

• Informative
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
http://archive.is/PxmCU

People were wanting to protest Google's increasingly draconian stance on free speech, and had nothing to do with alt-right or anything else, as their code of conduct shows:

Code of Conduct for March on Google
  • The March on Google condemns and disavows violence, hatred, and bigotry and all groups that espouse it such as White Nationalists, KKK, Antifa, and NeoNazis.
  • We will not use messages that are designed to incite anger, hate, or violence.
  • We will respect the law and the police and cooperate in all matters.
  • Any violation of these tenets will not be tolerated.

Is this an “Alt-Right” event? The answer is no. This is an event for First Amendment supporters from across the country, from all backgrounds, ethnicity, and walks of life. We will not tolerate any incendiary actions, messages, remarks, or gestures that go against the respectful, “open basket” spirit of the event.

Didn't stop CNN and others as labeling it a Nazi-event and getting them violent threats.
A culture surrounded by propaganda. CNN was the prototype for this type of misrepresentation, but has been outdone by other media outlets like MSNBC.

Fox is no better, just different propaganda.

Reporting used to be answering who, what, where, when, and why. Now it is editorializing and telling people what to think. It is like Pravda!

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
A culture surrounded by propaganda. CNN was the prototype for this type of misrepresentation, but has been outdone by other media outlets like MSNBC.

Fox is no better, just different propaganda.

Reporting used to be answering who, what, where, when, and why. Now it is editorializing and telling people what to think. It is like Pravda!

Chances are that reporting has always been more about propaganda than objective reporting. It certainly was before the twentieth century; until the last century no one had any expectation that a paper would report the unbiased truth. You could get the version of truth favorable to a political party, a large corporation or a government, but you were aware that they were probably spinning things to their benefit.

Only in the mid twentieth century did objectivity become something that anyone even claimed to strive for, and then only in America. But at that same time the large media outlets effectively had a monopoly on reporting, especially when it came to television. If they had saw fit to lie there would be few people who could call them on it.

Now most reporters don't even bother to give lip service towards objectivity (or, if they do, immediately follow it up with some statement that they won't give favorable coverage to some group or other). Perhaps this is for the better. If someone claims to be objective, but lies to you, it can be hard to detect. If they admit to having an agenda, and they lie to you, you'll usually have an idea of how they are lying to you, and by comparing multiple sources you can get a better idea of what is really going on.

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Chances are that reporting has always been more about propaganda than objective reporting. It certainly was before the twentieth century; until the last century no one had any expectation that a paper would report the unbiased truth. You could get the version of truth favorable to a political party, a large corporation or a government, but you were aware that they were probably spinning things to their benefit.

Only in the mid twentieth century did objectivity become something that anyone even claimed to strive for, and then only in America. But at that same time the large media outlets effectively had a monopoly on reporting, especially when it came to television. If they had saw fit to lie there would be few people who could call them on it.

Now most reporters don't even bother to give lip service towards objectivity (or, if they do, immediately follow it up with some statement that they won't give favorable coverage to some group or other). Perhaps this is for the better. If someone claims to be objective, but lies to you, it can be hard to detect. If they admit to having an agenda, and they lie to you, you'll usually have an idea of how they are lying to you, and by comparing multiple sources you can get a better idea of what is really going on.
Chroncite changed it in the 1970s and the big three fell in line. CNN under Turner doubled down to all propaganda all the time. Msnbc doubled down again.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Is this an “Alt-Right” event? The answer is no. This is an event for First Amendment supporters from across the country, from all backgrounds, ethnicity, and walks of life

So...it was an event for the stupid and ignorant then. I wonder if they handed out whirlygig hats for these idiots.

I think it's incredibly sad that I as an Australian know more about the first amendment than actual Americans, and it's role in restriction the government's regulation of the poeple and that it has nothing whatsoever to do with what a private organisation like google does or does not do.

Really, really sad.

Upvote 0