• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

PCOS and Medications

JesusFreak2008

Living Life To Its Fullest Each Day, Praising God
May 1, 2008
Mentor on the Lake, Ohio
Visit site
✟9,377.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello All,

I am April-Marie or A_M. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome since age 10. I am wondering if there is a possibility that certain medications can cause pcos? the reason I ask is because I also have Thyroid Disease, and Type 2 Diabetes. Has anyone heard this before?

solomonswolf

Aug 20, 2008
✟120.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hello All,

I am April-Marie or A_M. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome since age 10. I am wondering if there is a possibility that certain medications can cause pcos? the reason I ask is because I also have Thyroid Disease, and Type 2 Diabetes. Has anyone heard this before?

No. PCOS is most likely a genetic condition. Your thyroid problems and diabetes stem from the hormone imbalance caused by pcos

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2008
US
✟7,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey, Just wanted to let you know that pcos is caused by genetics. Certain medicines wont cause you to have pcos. But thyroid desease and type 2 diabetes is in completed corrilation with pcos. Alot of women develop these same medical issues along side of PCOS. Thyroid desease because the clusters of cysts in your ovaries release excess hormose including the thyroid hormone. I know i am taking Metformin Which is a medicine used to treat PCOS. It is also associated with typically being used by people with Type two diabetes

Upvote 0

Katryna

Jan 28, 2008
Illinois
✟7,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with super gurl 1987; medication doesn't cause PCOS, genetics does. You also have the type 2 diabetes and thyroid issues because of genetics, and they go hand-in-hand with PCOS. PCOS is often a fore-runner of diabetes, which is why it's important for girls/women to seek treatment and lifestyle changes early, to delay or prevent the onset of the disease, and further complications. Keep up the good fight!

Upvote 0

JesusFreak2008

May 1, 2008
Mentor on the Lake, Ohio
Visit site
✟9,377.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Okay so here is a question for you gals:

If it is genetic, which side is it likely that I got it from? The only Gyno issue on my mom's side was my aunt who had a partial hysterectomy, because they told her she couldn't ever have kids--my fourteen year old sister hasn't had her period yet, and my cousin Jen (Mom's sister's daughter) has PCOS--but here is the funny thing--Jen and I share the same conditions--PCOS, Factor V Leiden, and the Diabetes and Thyroid--but she gets her conditions from her fathers side, who has no relation to me but by marraige--so where would this be coming from?? It would have to come from my mom's side somewhere right??

Secondly, is it possible that Metformin can make you able to carry a child? I ask because I suffered 3 miscarraiges and 2 stillborn children, but after being placed on Metformin 850mg, I ended up concieving this current child.

Upvote 0

Caitlin.ann

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Okay so here is a question for you gals:

If it is genetic, which side is it likely that I got it from? The only Gyno issue on my mom's side was my aunt who had a partial hysterectomy, because they told her she couldn't ever have kids--my fourteen year old sister hasn't had her period yet, and my cousin Jen (Mom's sister's daughter) has PCOS--but here is the funny thing--Jen and I share the same conditions--PCOS, Factor V Leiden, and the Diabetes and Thyroid--but she gets her conditions from her fathers side, who has no relation to me but by marraige--so where would this be coming from?? It would have to come from my mom's side somewhere right??

Secondly, is it possible that Metformin can make you able to carry a child? I ask because I suffered 3 miscarraiges and 2 stillborn children, but after being placed on Metformin 850mg, I ended up concieving this current child.
I would try talking to relatives and ask them if they've ever experienced similar things. If you and your sister whose only relation is your mom have the exact same symptoms then I would make sure that she's not making a mistake and that it really doesn't come from her maternal side. Or maybe she's lucky and has it on both sides. But as I said do a lot of talking to extended family members and see what they know.

Upvote 0

JesusFreak2008

May 1, 2008
Mentor on the Lake, Ohio
Visit site
✟9,377.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Strange thing is everyone (on both sides of my family) are extremely fertile. Even my cousins who I thought would never have kids are getting pregnant.

I was diagnosed with PCOS in May 2009.

Same in my family~weird?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JesusFreak2008

May 1, 2008
Mentor on the Lake, Ohio
Visit site
✟9,377.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm a bit puzzled...pcos causes infertility, yes? so if it is genetic...how did the genes survive, if the person with pcos couldn't have children surely they would die out?

It causes infertility, yes, but infertility is not defined as "not being able to have kids" its more or less having difficulty conceiving. In woman, is is the inability or difficulty to conceive, where as in a male, it is the inability or difficulty to impregnate. This is due to the cysts on your ovaries, but also due to the excess hormones, and lack of menses.

For example, with myself, I suffered a stillborn baby-girl, and have suffered many miscarriages. My daughter currently was born to a mother (myself) with these issues, and a father who has an undecended ball, making him 50% infertile, and therefore everyone is under the understanding that my daughter was meant to be here in this world.

Hope that answers your question

Upvote 0