Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Despite criticism from education secretary, own network's cancellation.

Despite a rebuke from the new education secretary and an official cancellation by PBS, several large affiliates of the public TV network say they will air today a controversial episode of "Postcards from Buster," a cartoon series for pre-schoolers, that portrays homosexuality.

Shortly after taking office last week, Secretary Margaret Spellings denounced PBS for using public dollars to promote the homosexual lifestyle.

In a letter to the president of PBS, Spellings said: "Many parents would not want their young children exposed to the lifestyles portrayed in this episode. Congress' and the Department's purpose in funding this kind of programming certainly was not to introduce this kind of subject matter to children, particularly through the powerful and intimate medium of television."

PBS subsequently canceled the episode, entitled "Sugartime!" In the episode, Buster the rabbit visits a Vermont home headed by two lesbians.

According to a report in New York Newsday, WGBH, the powerful Boston public television station that makes the series, said it will air the program today and has offered it to other PBS stations. The paper says 18 stations plan to air it, including New York's WNET and KQED in San Francisco.

Maryland Public Television said it will not air the program tomorrow but might show it later, Newsday reported.

"We really have delineated children's television as a safe harbor for families," Maryland Public Television spokesman Larry Hoffman told the paper. "But we also realize we have a commitment to tolerance. It's a tough decision."

Peggy Charren, a WGBH board member, effused about the program.

"I am so proud of WGBH for airing this show and making it available so that other stations can now order it," Charren told the New York paper. "Unlike most of the people who are talking about this episode, I have actually seen it, and it is such a sweet, mild and wonderful program."

The American Family Association is urging its supporters to thank Spellings for taking a stand against the show.

"Secretary Spellings has been ridiculed in the liberal media and bombarded by the homosexual community because of her bold stand for our children," Don Wildmon, AFA chairman, said in a statement. "We need to let her know that mainstream America appreciates her recognition that the government should not push a homosexual agenda on children that goes against many parents' convictions.

"Children's videos should not be used to promote the homosexual lifestyle, and we want Margaret Spellings to know we appreciate her commitment to our children and respect for their parents."

"Postcards from Buster," which gets most of its $5 million budget from the taxpayers, features a rabbit whose parents are divorced and who travels with his pilot father sending video "postcards" back home.

The Education Department has paid about $100 million to PBS under a five-year contract to provide TV programming targeting preschoolers.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=42660

ruby_redeemed

Sola Deo Gloria
Dec 10, 2004
Arizona
Visit site
✟669.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know that PBS has aired programs on alternative lifestyles before, so with that I wouldn't donate money to them, because I wouldn't want my money to go to that. But I don't think taxpayer’s money should be put in to a publication that is for young children. I think it's the parent’s jobs to teach their children about sex, and also about God.

Upvote 0

Colabomb

I seek sin like a moth towards flame, save me God.
Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Robert43 said:
Despite criticism from education secretary, own network's cancellation.

Despite a rebuke from the new education secretary and an official cancellation by PBS, several large affiliates of the public TV network say they will air today a controversial episode of "Postcards from Buster," a cartoon series for pre-schoolers, that portrays homosexuality.

Shortly after taking office last week, Secretary Margaret Spellings denounced PBS for using public dollars to promote the homosexual lifestyle.

In a letter to the president of PBS, Spellings said: "Many parents would not want their young children exposed to the lifestyles portrayed in this episode. Congress' and the Department's purpose in funding this kind of programming certainly was not to introduce this kind of subject matter to children, particularly through the powerful and intimate medium of television."

PBS subsequently canceled the episode, entitled "Sugartime!" In the episode, Buster the rabbit visits a Vermont home headed by two lesbians.

According to a report in New York Newsday, WGBH, the powerful Boston public television station that makes the series, said it will air the program today and has offered it to other PBS stations. The paper says 18 stations plan to air it, including New York's WNET and KQED in San Francisco.

Maryland Public Television said it will not air the program tomorrow but might show it later, Newsday reported.

"We really have delineated children's television as a safe harbor for families," Maryland Public Television spokesman Larry Hoffman told the paper. "But we also realize we have a commitment to tolerance. It's a tough decision."

Peggy Charren, a WGBH board member, effused about the program.

"I am so proud of WGBH for airing this show and making it available so that other stations can now order it," Charren told the New York paper. "Unlike most of the people who are talking about this episode, I have actually seen it, and it is such a sweet, mild and wonderful program."

The American Family Association is urging its supporters to thank Spellings for taking a stand against the show.

"Secretary Spellings has been ridiculed in the liberal media and bombarded by the homosexual community because of her bold stand for our children," Don Wildmon, AFA chairman, said in a statement. "We need to let her know that mainstream America appreciates her recognition that the government should not push a homosexual agenda on children that goes against many parents' convictions.

"Children's videos should not be used to promote the homosexual lifestyle, and we want Margaret Spellings to know we appreciate her commitment to our children and respect for their parents."

"Postcards from Buster," which gets most of its $5 million budget from the taxpayers, features a rabbit whose parents are divorced and who travels with his pilot father sending video "postcards" back home.

The Education Department has paid about $100 million to PBS under a five-year contract to provide TV programming targeting preschoolers.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=42660
Pray for our nation.

Upvote 0

Colabomb

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
artybloke said:
Pray especially that God would rid us of this fundagelical bigotry.
Actually, I was praying about the fact that an immoral lifestyle is being supported by tax dollars. I am a Conservative.

Upvote 0

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
artybloke said:
Pray especially that God would rid us of this fundagelical bigotry.
Maybe to some it is "fundagelical bigotry," but not to me. And I do not appreciate it when you try to label it bigotry. It has nothing to do with that and all to do with trying to obey God the best we can.

Let us pray that people stop trying to influence our children. :crossrc:

Upvote 0

Sam Gamgee

Jan 17, 2005
New Hampshire, United States
Visit site
✟17,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Letalis said:
Maybe to some it is "fundagelical bigotry," but not to me. And I do not appreciate it when you try to label it bigotry. It has nothing to do with that and all to do with trying to obey God the best we can.

Let us pray that people stop trying to influence our children. :crossrc:

Our children are influenced by other people besides their parents.
They are influences by their friends, by kids at school, by television, movies, and books.
They are influenced by the Bible and church
They are influenced by what they learn at school.

If we prayed that people stopped trying to influence our children, we'd have very simple-minded children.

In the end, it is up to the parents to decide what is a good influence and what is a bad influence. To many parents, this PBS special is a good thing for their children to learn. Just because it is not what you want your child to know does not negate its value.

Upvote 0

Sam Gamgee

Jan 17, 2005
Visit site
✟17,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Colabomb said:
Actually, I was praying about the fact that an immoral lifestyle is being supported by tax dollars. I am a Conservative.

"Immoral" by your definition.

It is actually not immoral by my definition, nor by many private citizens and companies that provide PBS with financial support.

Upvote 0

ruby_redeemed

Sola Deo Gloria
Dec 10, 2004
Arizona
Visit site
✟669.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sam Gamgee said:

It is actually not immoral by my definition, nor by many private citizens and companies that provide PBS with financial support.
Our morals are derived from the Bible, and the Bible is clear that the guy life style is wrong. So this makes it immoral, just like it is immoral to lie, steal, cheat, murder....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sam Gamgee

Jan 17, 2005
Visit site
✟17,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
ruby_redeemed said:
Our morals are derived from the Bible, and the Bible is clear that the guy life style is wrong. So this makes it immoral, just like it is immoral to lie, steal, cheat, murder....

The Bible is one source that I derive my moral structure from.
I also get my morals from my parents and from school and from the books I read.

So, my views reflect my different moral frame.

Not better or worse, just different.

Upvote 0

ruby_redeemed

Sola Deo Gloria
Dec 10, 2004
Arizona
Visit site
✟669.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sam Gamgee said:
The Bible is one source that I derive my moral structure from.
I also get my morals from my parents and from school and from the books I read.

So, my views reflect my different moral frame.

Not better or worse, just different.
And where do you think your parents get them from, or your books? "Good" comes from God not man

Upvote 0

artybloke

Mar 1, 2004
North of England
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
UK-Labour
and the Bible is clear that the guy life style is wrong

No it is not. It is not at all clear that the Levitical purity laws that may well have had relevance to an ancient Jewish cult just got out of the desert has anything whatsover to do with the 21st century. Unless of course you also avoid wearing mixed fabrics and eating sea-food.

And the very fact that many people with a great deal of knowledge of the ancient world have challenged the traditional interpretation, means that the Bible is "not clear."

Of course, I know that makes no difference to those who think it's all some kind of Satanic conspiracy, or who think that their little corner of the church is the only true and pure bit of it, or to those who seem to admire the laws of the Pharisees more than they admire the freedom of Christ...

Upvote 0

Sam Gamgee

Jan 17, 2005
Visit site
✟17,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
ruby_redeemed said:
And where do you think your parents get them from, or your books? "Good" comes from God not man

So, people who have not found God are not good?

Indigenous people in the African jungle do not have the ability to be good people?

Buddhists cannot be good?

People in ancient greece that worshipped Gods of sun and rain did not have the capacity to be good?

The Bible is not the only source that exhibits lessons on good behavior.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Colabomb

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sam Gamgee said:

Immoral by the definition of the Holy Scriptures and 2000 years of Church Teaching.

Upvote 0

ruby_redeemed

Sola Deo Gloria
Dec 10, 2004
Arizona
Visit site
✟669.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
artybloke said:
No it is not. It is not at all clear that the Levitical purity laws that may well have had relevance to an ancient Jewish cult just got out of the desert has anything whatsover to do with the 21st century. Unless of course you also avoid wearing mixed fabrics and eating sea-food.

Actually I am not talking about the Levitical law. Read Romans 1:24-27

artybloke said:
And the very fact that many people with a great deal of knowledge of the ancient world have challenged the traditional interpretation, means that the Bible is "not clear."

Sorry, I probably shouldn’t have put “clear” but the Bible does talk about things that you should not due, and I think this is one of them.

artybloke said:
Of course, I know that makes no difference to those who think it's all some kind of Satanic conspiracy,

I don’t know if you are talking about the gay life style or about the Bible.

artybloke said:
or who think that their little corner of the church is the only true and pure bit of it, or to those who seem to admire the laws of the Pharisees more than they admire the freedom of Christ...

I think every church has at least one thing wrong with it, or every theology. We as people are not perfect and I it’s not possible for us to create something that is perfect. So please don’t assume anything.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.