✟17,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Colabomb said:
Immoral by the definition of the Holy Scriptures and 2000 years of Church Teaching.

SOME church teachings. It is very important that we qualify our statements here because we are walkikng a very fine line.

I belong to the UCC church. All people are welcome through the doors of our church, gay or straight.

Our only condition for membership is that we accept Jesus Christ as our lord and savior...

We are taught about Jesus' love for us.

I am not a Bible literalist as you seem to be (correct me if I'm wrong here). I believe that gay men and women were made in God's image, just as straight men and women were. Therefore, from my point of view, PBS has the right to air the show.

And if people disagree with PBS as vehemently as some express in this thread, then they should start providing financial support to PBS. Because if you're not giving money to PBS, you don't have the right to criticize their chosen programming.

Upvote 0

ruby_redeemed

Sola Deo Gloria
Dec 10, 2004
Arizona
Visit site
✟669.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sam Gamgee said:
SOME church teachings. It is very important that we qualify our statements here because we are walkikng a very fine line.

I belong to the UCC church. All people are welcome through the doors of our church, gay or straight.

Our only condition for membership is that we accept Jesus Christ as our lord and savior...

I am not a Bible literalist as you seem to be (correct me if I'm wrong here). I believe that gay men and women were made in God's image, just as straight men and women were. Therefore, from my point of view, PBS has the right to air the show.

And if people disagree with PBS as vehemently as some express in this thread, then they should start providing financial support to PBS. Because if you're not giving money to PBS, you don't have the right to criticize their chosen programming.

I don't think PBS should air the show becuae the life style is sinful. I think all sins are equal, so if they made a show about a child murderig someone and said that was ok, I would have the same feelings towards the show.
Do you think being guy is a sin?

Upvote 0

ruby_redeemed

Sola Deo Gloria
Dec 10, 2004
Arizona
Visit site
✟669.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sam Gamgee said:

I don't think PBS should air the show becuae the life style is sinful. I think all sins are equal, so if they made a show about a child murderig someone and said that was ok, I would have the same feelings towards the show.
I agree that we were created in His image, but we are sinful and shouldn't make our sins sound alright. Nor do I think we should put one sin above another. So before you accuse me of saying being gay is a worse sin, I want you to understand that I sin and my sins are no better or worse.

Upvote 0

Sam Gamgee

Jan 17, 2005
New Hampshire, United States
Visit site
✟17,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
ruby_redeemed said:
I agree that we were created in His image, but we are sinful and shouldn't make our sins sound alright. Nor do I think we should put one sin above another. So before you accuse me of saying being gay is a worse sin, I want you to understand that I sin and my sins are no better or worse.

I'm going to assume that you meant to ask me "Do you think being gay is a sin?"

I suppose in the sins that we all do every day, it's in there somewhere.

However, I will say this. I think it's ironic that we spend so much energy dealing with six or seven verses in the Bible while we ignore the overwhelming number of passages that speak about economic injustice, greed, and lack of compassion for the poor.

If we were really taking scripture seriously, we would turn our attention to this clear biblical mandate, as apposted to a few selected texts that may not even speak as clearly about homosexuality as biblical scholars may have thought.

Upvote 0

Sam Gamgee

Jan 17, 2005
New Hampshire, United States
Visit site
✟17,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Here's an excerpt from an article describing the show...

"But thanks to series producer WGBH (which is providing the episode to any PBS stations that want to air it), I had scored a copy. I popped it in my VCR, pulled down the shades, and took a peek. Go figure! This episode is pretty typical of Postcards From Buster, a gentle, informative series about a camcorder-toting cartoon bunny who explores different cultures and communities, then reports back to his friends at home (as well as to his 4- to 8-year-old audience) through live-action video "postcards" showing the people he meets.

For "Sugartime!" (which refers not to sex, gay or straight, but to maple sugaring), Buster went to Vermont. There he visited a group of cute kids who ride bikes, jump in the hay, make chocolate chip cookies, cozy up to a bonfire, and show him how syrup begins as sap from maple trees. As usual, this episode, filmed last March, centers on youngsters. But glimpsed as well are the parents, two couples who seem altogether unremarkable. Except they're all women. This detail scarcely escapes Buster's notice. When one little girl refers to her mother and stepmother, Buster remarks, "That's a lot of moms!" Nothing more on the subject is said or done, however. And no one breathes the L word.

But by daring to include two of the nation's 168,000 gay-parented households (joining Pentecostal Christians, Muslims, and Mormons among those represented on the series), Buster was busted. "Congress's and the department's purpose in funding this programming certainly was not to introduce this kind of subject matter to children," Spellings wrote PBS head Pat Mitchell. (The Department of Education anteed up $5 million, two thirds of the budget for the series's 40 episodes.) "Many parents would not want their young children exposed to the lifestyles portrayed in this episode." Focus on the Family founder James Dobson agrees. "At its heart, the issue before us is the 'sexual reorientation' and brainwashing of children by homosexual advocacy groups," Dobson wrote on his Web site. Of course, no child watching this episode is any more likely to be brainwashed into becoming gay than into copying Buster and growing rabbit ears.

The danger, such as it is, lies elsewhere. The episode's two couples--Karen and Gillian, and their friends Tracy and Gina--come across as perilously likable people and loving parents. They're awfully hard to distinguish from acceptable folks. It might be tricky, then, to convince a child who's "exposed to the lifestyles portrayed in this episode" that these women should be demonized for being who they are. As usual, information is a threat to blind prejudice. "

Upvote 0

ps139

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine!
Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟30,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Sam Gamgee said:
If we were really taking scripture seriously, we would turn our attention to this clear biblical mandate, as apposted to a few selected texts that may not even speak as clearly about homosexuality as biblical scholars may have thought.
Sam, I've learned that if one puts enough effort into it, they can make the Bible confirm/deny anything they want. Many people today, for whatever reason (I suspect the desire to be "PC") are making these elaborate arguments that when Paul says a man should not lay with a man as he does with a woman, it has nothing to do qith homosexuality. I've been through the debate, down to every last word in the Greek, it is ridiculous. Paul is clearer there than on many many other things he said.

Reactions: ruby_redeemed
Upvote 0

artybloke

Mar 1, 2004
North of England
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
UK-Labour
Sam, I've learned that if one puts enough effort into it, they can make the Bible confirm/deny anything they want.

What's sauce for the gander is sauce for the goose, though. It is equally possible that the supporters of the traditional interpretation are hiding their own prejudice behind this "traditonal" interpretation.

It doesn't actually get us anywhere to accuse each other of bad faith, however. The fact is that there is now an argument, that convinces many others if it doesn't convince you, that the traditonal arguments do not hold water.

I myself, being straight, have no particular personal axe to grind regarding this; except that I see somewhere I think the church (or sections of it, at least) seems to be acting unjustly. The arguments convince me.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.