Paul's Letters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading Corinthians and stuff, and (Paul is the right name, isn't it?) they're pretty good. However, Paul seems to me to be a bit arrogant. Since so many people have found his word to be holy, this must just be a misconception. Anyone else had this problem? (It just struck me that this is a bizzare question, but there you go!)

Paul is difficult to understand, of course. And he was a bit of a high poobah. If he hadn't been, he wouldn't have written all those letters. But, of course, God does call some people to be high poobahs, but not all. If he doesn't meet your image of a saint, it may only mean your own calling is different, and doesn't reflect a true flaw in St. Paul.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes he seems arrogant in some of his statements, but they are only to prove a point. If you look closely you see he was quite a bashful man and not good at public speaking. The guy usually sounded that way because of the people he was talking to. He was emphasising the need of discipline most of the time in cor 1 and 2. To do this he has to take the role of a teacher right? I would suggest reading 1 and 2 tim and romans.

Upvote 0

BigEd

an adopted child of God
Feb 15, 2002
connecticut
✟9,726.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Initally I found paul to be a bit hard to deal with... In 1 and 2 corthinians, and galatians he can be quite tough with people..but those church needed his rebuke. There is no doubt he was a highly intellegent man. Over time I have learn to apperiacate his human-ness. i get a sense it was a strugle for him not ot get to puffed up... to be paitient with the churchs he help to found, his sometimes stormy realtionship with the jerusalem church.
at the same time Paul shows his great love for the Lord and his fellow believers ...in 1 cor 13, in philipians, his wonderful doxlogies in Ephesians.

All in all Paul is just like a us , a sinner saved only by the Grace of God.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>> Paul seems to me to be a bit arrogant

That perhaps is why God allowed Paul's "thorn in the flesh" to remain and He did not remove it.

2 Cor. 12:7 And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure.

Upvote 0
The NAB says:

That I might not become too elated: God assures that there is a negative component to his experience, so that he cannot lose proper perspective; cf 2 Cor 1:9; 4:7-11. A thorn in the flesh: variously interpreted as a sickness or physical disability, a temptation, or a handicap connected with his apostolic activity. But since Hebrew "thorn in the flesh," like English "thorn in my side," refers to persons (cf Numbers 33:55; Ezekial 28:24), Paul may be referring to some especially persistent and obnoxious opponent. The language of 2 Cor 12:7-8 permits this interpretation. If this is correct, the frequent appearance of singular pronouns in depicting the opposition may not be merely a stylistic variation; the singular may be provoked and accompanied by the image of one individual in whom criticism of Paul's preaching, way of life, and apostolic consciousness is concentrated, and who embodies all the qualities Paul attributes to the group. An angel of Satan: a personal messenger from Satan; cf the satanic language already applied to the opponents in 2 Cor 11:3,13-15,20.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've always wondered if Paul's "opponent" wasn't his former self. Only through the power of the Holy Spirit could he overcome his extreme embarassment and shame at how he had persecuted the early Christian Church. How could his word be worth anything, after doing such a dramatic 180° turn in his life? Why would anyone listen to him, Christian, Jew, Gentile? Yet, through the power of the Holy Spirit, he gained the confidence to boldly teach.

Incredible!

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.