Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not at all.

In post #230 in another thread, you said this, I quote:

“If we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us.

Sounds like a one time deal at the time of conversion. No repetition is indicated. Not "every time we confess" or "if we keep confessing" or anything like that.”
~ Quote by: MMXX.
This means that I was correct in saying that you believe 1 John 1:9 is referring to Initial Salvation only.

Proverbs 28 says,

“He that covereth his sins shall not prosper:
but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.”
(Proverbs 28:13).​
I'm not the one who used the term "initial salvation".

You said, I quote in post #291 in another thread, I quote:

“You've been saying that each time a saved person commits a mortal sin, they have lost their salvation, and will go to hell, until they confess their mortal sin.” ~ Quote by: MMXX.​

This implies strongly that you can sin and still be saved. This is what the majority of Christians today believe, and yet it runs contrary to the teachings of Jesus and His followers.

For Jesus says,

“But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.” (Matthew 5:28-30).

A paraphrase of what you teach, implies strongly that you can sin and still be saved? I think you're getting a bit mixed up there Jason.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟609,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How does the gnostic belief differ from a sin and still be saved type belief within Christianity?
While gnostics did believe in the denial of the Incarnation (1 John 4:3), they also believed that sin was an illusion or non-existent (1 John 1:8 cf. 1 John 2:26, 1 John 2:4); Therefore the gnostics believed they could sin and still be saved. Yes, I am aware that Christians today think sin is very real on a physical level, but they do not think it exists for them on a spiritual level because Jesus paid for all their future sins by their having a belief alone on Jesus. Yet, both the gnostic and the majority of Sola Scriptura Christians today agree that one can sin and still be saved. Yet, this is why the apostle John wrote 1 John 1:9 and 1 John 2:1. It was to reconcile this problem in how to properly deal with sin. One needs to confess to Jesus their sin (1 John 1:9), and then they are to “sin not.” (1 John 2:1) (Note: This is in context or view of overcoming mortal sin, or grievous sin).

Only Jesus of how He is represented in the Bible can be your escape, friend.
We cannot create our own version of Jesus that runs contrary to what the Bible says.

But you and maybe one or two others are the only ones who understand what the Bible says. The flood is coming and you're Noah.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,196,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not the one who used the term "initial salvation".​
But that is basically what I was describing what you said using other words (Unless of course you want to revise what you said).

You said:
A paraphrase of what you teach, implies strongly that you can sin and still be saved? I think you're getting a bit mixed up Jason.

First, my user name is Bible Highlighter. Second, so now you are saying that you don't think a believer loses their salvation if they commit a serious sin and they don't confess of it?

Proverbs 28:13 basically says the person who confess and forsakes sin shall have mercy.

How exactly do you agree with this verse?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,196,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But you and maybe one or two others are the only ones who understand what the Bible says. The flood is coming and you're Noah.

I never said that. I know of other Christians who believe the same way I do in regards to sin and salvation. But Jesus was teaching truth when He said narrow is the way that leads unto life, and FEW be there that find it. I just do not see how your belief fits in with what Jesus said here.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,196,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

You are not really addressing the differences between the gnostic's belief and the Christian today who believes they can sin and still be saved. Did not the gnostic believe sin was an illusion and not real?

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟609,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I never said that. I know of other Christians who believe the same way I do in regards to sin and salvation. But Jesus was teaching truth when He said narrow is the way that leads unto life, and FEW be there that find it.

Most Christians mistakenly believe that means out off all the people on earth, few will choose to believe in Christ. But the true meaning is only a few Christians will enter it. With you being at the head of the line to get in

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,196,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Most Christians mistakenly believe that means out off all the people on earth, few will choose to believe in Christ. But the true meaning is only a few Christians will enter it. With you being at the head of the line to get in

Nowhere did I ever say I was thinking I was ahead of the line. Only God knows what my end state will be. I pray God will keep me faithful until the end. I pray for God to constantly keep me in His way.

As for the narrow way that Jesus talked about:

Most Christians in the Sola Scriptura camp today believe they can sin and still be saved (Which runs contrary to the teachings of Jesus and His followers). This is what you believe is the narrow way. This is Protestantism.

According to Google: There are between 800 million and 1 billion Protestants worldwide, among approximately 2.5 billion Christians.

Protestantism is the 2nd largest branch of Christianity in the world. Again, how does this line up with the words of Jesus when He spoke of the narrow way? I do not see 1 billion getting it right involving the narrow way.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,196,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Side Note:

Oh, and I am also a Sola Scriptura Christian, but I prefer the term, “Bible Alone + The Anointing to Understand It.” But unfortunately, most of my fellow Sola Scriptura brethren believe they can sin and still be saved. I believe this runs contrary to the words of Jesus and His followers.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟609,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But that is basically what I was describing what you said using other words (Unless of course you want to revise what you said).

First, my user name is Bible Highlighter. Second, so now you are saying that you don't think a believer loses their salvation if they commit a serious sin and they don't confess of it?

Proverbs 28:13 basically says the person who confess and forsakes sin shall have mercy.

How exactly do you agree with this verse?

Okay "Bible Highlighter". Sorry if I got too personal. I like talking to people rather than anonymous internet personas.

Proverbs 28 was written way before the crucifixion, and therefore is not talking about born again Christians who have already obtained mercy through the atoning blood of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟609,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Side Note:

Oh, and I am also a Sola Scriptura Christian, but I prefer the term, “Bible Alone + The Anointing to Understand It.” But unfortunately, most of my fellow Sola Scriptura brethren believe they can sin and still be saved. I believe this runs contrary to the words of Jesus and His followers.

You have the anointing and other Christians don't.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,196,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Okay "Bible Highlighter". Sorry if I got too personal. I like talking to people rather than anonymous internet personas.

So your real name is MMXX and people call you that at work and or you are called that by your family members?

You said:
Proverbs 28 was written way before the crucifixion, and therefore is not talking about born again Christians who have already obtained mercy through the atoning blood of Jesus Christ.

It is a truth that still applies. Nowhere does the Bible say that we do not have to no longer confess and forsake sin in order to have mercy. You need to cite Biblical examples to prove your case. I see John teaching that we need to confess of sin to be forgiven of sin in 1 John 1:9, and this is in context to going to our advocate if we do happen to sin (1 John 2:1). I see Peter telling Simon the sorcerer to repent and pray to God that he maybe forgiven of his trying to pay for the Spirit.

“Repent of this wickedness and pray to the Lord in the hope that he may forgive you for having such a thought in your heart.” (Acts of the Apostles 8:22).

So confession of sin to the Lord Jesus still leads to forgiveness.
It's what the Parable of the Prodigal Son teaches in Luke 15, as well.

Where in the New Covenant (New Testament) do we see Proverbs 28:13 as having ended? Wouldn't the Jewish apostles teach others to not do this? If so, where is it in the Bible?

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟609,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nowhere did I ever say I was thinking I was ahead of the line. Only God knows what my end state will be. I pray God will keep me faithful until the end. I pray for God to constantly keep me in His way.

As for the narrow way that Jesus talked about:

Most Christians in the Sola Scriptura camp today believe they can sin and still be saved (Which runs contrary to the teachings of Jesus and His followers). This is what you believe is the narrow way. This is Protestantism.

According to Google: There are between 800 million and 1 billion Protestants worldwide, among approximately 2.5 billion Christians.

Protestantism is the 2nd largest branch of Christianity in the world. Again, how does this line up with the words of Jesus when He spoke of the narrow way? I do not see 1 billion getting it right involving the narrow way.

1 out of 8 is a narrow percentage. But I'm sure it's much narrower than that considering only you and few others have the proper anointing.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,196,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1 out of 8 is a narrow percentage. But I'm sure it's much narrower than that considering only you and few others have the proper anointing.

If you say so. 1 billions does not sound like the narrow way to me. I will continue to follow what Jesus and His followers taught instead.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟609,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So your real name is MMXX and people call you that at work and or you are called that by your family members?

My real name is Brian and others here have called me Brain which I don't mind. I've seen you called Jason, so I figured that was your real name. Guess not.

It is a truth that still applies. Nowhere does the Bible say that we do not have to no longer confess and forsake sin in order to have mercy. You need to cite Biblical examples to prove your case. I see John teaching that we need to confess of sin to be forgiven of sin in 1 John 1:9, and this is in context to going to our advocate if we do happen to sin (1 John 2:1). I see Peter telling Simon the sorcerer to repent and pray to God that he maybe forgiven of his trying to pay for the Spirit.

“Repent of this wickedness and pray to the Lord in the hope that he may forgive you for having such a thought in your heart.” (Acts of the Apostles 8:22).

So confession of sin to the Lord Jesus still leads to forgiveness.
It's what the Parable of the Prodigal Son teaches in Luke 15.

Once again, I don't have a case, you do.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟609,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you say so. 1 billions does not sound like the narrow way to me. I will continue to follow what Jesus and His followers taught instead.

But most other Christians won't.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,196,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My real name is Brian and others here have called my Brain which I don't mind. I've seen you called Jason, so I figured that was your real name. Guess not.

I did not come onto Christian forums to talk about my personal life, but I came here to talk about the Word of God.

You said:

But you should have a biblical case to defend your belief, right? If you don't then how exactly do you believe the way you do?

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟609,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I did not come onto Christian forums to talk about my personal life, but I came here to talk about the Word of God.

There's a difference between being a person and talking about your personal life.

But you should have a biblical case to defend your belief, right? If you don't then how exactly do you believe the way you do?

Like I said, I don't have a counter case to pit against yous. I'm just questioning yours.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,196,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My real name is Brian and others here have called me Brain which I don't mind. I've seen you called Jason, so I figured that was your real name. Guess not.

What do you make of Peter telling Simon the sorcerer to repent and pray to God that he may be forgiven for his trying to pay for the Spirit in Acts of the Apostles 8:22?

What do you make of the prodigal son desiring to confess that he sinned to his father and before all of heaven in Luke 15:18? Was not the prodigal son seeking to be forgiven of his sin before his father? Is not this a parallel between our relationship and the Lord?

Upvote 0