Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Ignatius, bishop of Antioch (c. A.D. 116), has no quotations from the PE, but there are “coincidences in phraseology [that] can hardly be accidental” (so Bernard, xv, citing seven passages and also several “peculiar” words that occur in Ignatius and elsewhere only in the PE; also Kelly, 3; cf. Spicq, 1:163). Hanson ([1983] 12–13) rightly points out that the Roman persecution reflected in Ignatius’ writings does not correspond to the background of the PE."

So Mounce is saying that they are “coincidences in phraseology [that] can hardly be accidental.”

In other words, (loose) quotations.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Could you rewrite this so that it makes sense?

It made perfect sense.

You have devalued the evidence of the early Church. That leaves you with zero evidence about the beliefs and governance of the early Church. Everything you say about the early Church is pure fiction.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
So Mounce is saying that they are “coincidences in phraseology [that] can hardly be accidental.”

No, coincidences in wording are not quotations. I found another source that lists them. They seem to be individual words whose only NT use is the Pastorals.

Incidentally, 120 may be a bit late. I think it's more common to date then 80 - 100. Wikipedia quotes Brown as saying that't the most common.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
It made perfect sense.

You have devalued the evidence of the early Church. That leaves you with zero evidence about the beliefs and governance of the early Church. Everything you say about the early Church is pure fiction.

I do know that the early church was synagogue based and that on top of that a hierarchal governance of elders, deacons and bishops gradually developed.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, coincidences in wording are not quotations. I found another source that lists them. They seem to be individual words whose only NT use is the Pastorals.

You presumably refer e.g. to G2085 (ἑτεροδιδασκαλέω) found in the NT only in 1 Timothy, but also in The Epistle of Ignatius to Polycarp 3.

But in The Epistle of Ignatius to the Magnesians 11, Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ τῆς ἐλπίδος ἡμῶν is almost a verbatim quote of Χριστοῦ Ἰησοῦ τῆς ἐλπίδος ἡμῶν (1 Timothy 1:1).

• Agree
Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
We are discussing Theology, when has there ever been anything in this subject that is not disputed by someone?
I think that was kind of the point I was trying to make. The question should be where the consensus lies. Based on modern scholarship, I think the tide is turning with the late dating for the Pastorals coming from Higher Criticism and later dating for pretty much everything. Now that it has been established that other writings were much earlier than originally posed, there is little objection to putting the Pastorals back into the first century.

Whether they were written by Paul or not is always going to be contentious, but if dating is the only reason to suppose not, then it is insufficient.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do know that the early church was synagogue based and that on top of that a hierarchal governance of elders, deacons and bishops gradually developed.

And how do you know this? You are discounting the writings of the early Church, because the early Church said that Paul wrote all the Pauline epistles, including the Pastorals.

The NT has Christians evicted from synagogues very early on.

Outside of the NT and the writings of the early Church, the earliest archaeological evidence of Christian worship we have is the Dura-Europos church from c. 240. It is quite definitely not synagogue based: Dura-Europos church - Wikipedia

I can only assume that you're going by the guesses of non-Christian scholars, who simply didn't understand what they were theorising about.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟474,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

These are certainly loose quotations.

That’s a mere conjecture, and it is a conjecture disproven by not only the New Testament itself, but also by first century writings of the Church, including the Didache, the Didascalia, and the writings of St. Ignatius the Martyr.

All of these sources, which date from the first century, describe a church separated, against its will, from the synagogues, which was centered around the celebration of the Eucharist and ruled by bishops and presbyters, served by deacons, and committed to the maintenance of widows.

Ignatius himself wrote “Let nothing be done without the Bishop” and he was fed to lions in the year 107.

2D5E4207-EE5C-4331-AD51-2491FF50372A.jpeg

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟474,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Could you rewrite this so that it makes sense?

What @Radagast and I are saying is that when one discounts the writings produced by the early church, given that the history of the early church was neither extensively nor accurately recorded by any third party, logically, any opinions about the early church amount to little more than conjecture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello everyone,

It has crossed my mind that Paul never references most of what we know about Jesus from the Gospels. He never mentions the parables, teachings or specific miracles other than the Resurrection.

The Gospels were not written during his lifetime, but had all of the information we know from them been circulating among the earliest Christians, how did he not seem to know about any of it? Paul is clearly a major fan of Jesus, but doesn't seem to know much about his ministry.
What we do know is that Paul confirmed many teachings in his writings. The Eucharist for one. But we also know that Paul was taught in 3 days by Jesus, then he went into the desert on retreat to contemplate what he knew, and formulated his Christian beliefs, then went to the Apostles to make sure he had it right.

• Agree
Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
What we do know is that Paul confirmed many teachings in his writings. The Eucharist for one. But we also know that Paul was taught in 3 days by Jesus, then he went into the desert on retreat to contemplate what he knew, and formulated his Christian beliefs, then went to the Apostles to make sure he had it right.
All of the Apostles had their minds opened to understand the scriptures after Christ was resurrected.

Lu 24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

I do not understand why so much fuss is made over Paul not being a disciple when Christ walked this earth. Clearly understanding did not depend on that. But eyewitness testimony did.

So it seems establishing his resurrection was foundational to looking to him and his disciples for understanding.

1Co 15:17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hello everyone,

It has crossed my mind that Paul never references most of what we know about Jesus from the Gospels. He never mentions the parables, teachings or specific miracles other than the Resurrection.

The Gospels were not written during his lifetime, but had all of the information we know from them been circulating among the earliest Christians, how did he not seem to know about any of it? Paul is clearly a major fan of Jesus, but doesn't seem to know much about his ministry.

It's not that he didn't know, it's that his audience knew the Gospel story already. We are a third party essentially eavesdropping on a personal conversation between Paul and the churches/persons he wrote to, and we are only privy to half of that conversation, the one recorded by Paul in his letters. But behind those letters there are real, living, breathing, worshiping communities of believing Christians.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0