Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I present this only as food for thought.

Feminism may have an advantage on the personal freedom level, but systemically Patriarchy is superior.

1. It has stood the test of time, lasting across the world for millennia.
2. If people accepted their place, they were protected and cared for, generally.

3. Feminism is prevalent in every country with low/negative population growth. The world may not survive mass feminism.

4. In feminism, no one is protected, thus one must appeal to the State for more protection. Since the State always imposes more control when allowed, paradoxically feminism leads to systemically less personal freedom.

Patriarchy allowed humanity to fill and subdue the earth. Feminism is allowing the State to subdue the people as it depopulates the earth.

Thus, even if we grant every claim of feminism on a personal level, on a worldwide systemic level it appears to be a death cult.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Feminism may have an advantage on the personal freedom level, but systemically Patriarchy is superior.

2. If people accepted their place, they were protected and cared for, generally.

3. Feminism is prevalent in every country with low/negative population growth. The world may not survive mass feminism.

4. In feminism, no one is protected, thus one must appeal to the State for more protection. Since the State always imposes more control when allowed, paradoxically feminism leads to systemically less personal freedom.

Patriarchy allowed humanity to fill and subdue the earth. Feminism is allowing the State to subdue the people as it depopulates the earth.

Thus, even if we grant every claim of feminism on a personal level, on a worldwide systemic level it appears to be a death cult.

When you "Do Unto Others As You Would Have them Do Unto You" then it is impossible to discriminate between genders. When you fail to follow the greatest commandment, then you treat people how ever you think is best for them because they are different from you.

Lets be real for a hypothetical second. How should we treat an "other" so that they are pleased and happy? Is that the best? Yes,,,,we should look into their minds and know what they want and do that instead, right?

So lets assume we are not Gods and know what is best for them.
So given that we are not gods, God has given us the best possible
admittedly imperfect solution.

The Greatest Commandment

Matthew 7:12
“So whatever you wish that others would do to you,
do also to them,
for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When you "Do Unto Others As You Would Have them Do Unto You" then it is impossible to discriminate between genders. When you fail to follow the greatest commandment, then you treat people how ever you think is best for them because they are different from you.
The Greatest Commandment

“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.
I have no difficulties following the greatest commandment under Patriarchy because I'm a good Christian.

I can only assume that if I were a good woman Christian, I would have no trouble following the Patriarchy as well. Christian women have been doing this for 2000 years, after all.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have no difficulties following the greatest commandment under Patriarchy because I'm a good Christian.

I can only assume that if I were a good woman Christian, I would have no trouble following the Patriarchy as well. Christian women have been doing this for 2000 years, after all.

Treat others
the same as you would have them to treat you.

Discriminating gender is impossible.

It's right there in black and white. Even the disciples didn't grasp it. There is no version of the greatest commandment that includes gender discrimination so you could treat women differently. But patriarchy was part of local law at the time so must be followed first. Just as Jesus was crucified under local law, we must submit to local law first.

Mark 12
28 And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, “Which commandment is the most important of all?”
29 Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.
30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’
31 The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

James 2:8
If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well.

Romans 15:2
Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, to build him up.

Proverbs 3:29
Do not plan evil against your neighbor, who dwells trustingly beside you.

“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Galatians 5:14
For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

Luke 10:27
And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.”

Romans 13:10
Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Luke 6:31
And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.

Matthew 19:19
Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

Leviticus 19:16-18
You shall not go around as a slanderer among your people, and you shall not stand up against the life of your neighbor: I am the Lord. “You shall not hate your brother in your heart, but you shall reason frankly with your neighbor, lest you incur sin because of him. You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord.

Galatians 6:10
So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

Romans 13:9
For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

Galatians 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Zechariah 8:17
Do not devise evil in your hearts against one another, and love no false oath, for all these things I hate, declares the Lord.”

Romans 12:19
Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.”

Exodus 20:16
“You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

Matthew 22:39
And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

Luke 10:29
But he, desiring to justify himself, said to Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

Leviticus 19:13
“You shall not oppress your neighbor or rob him. The wages of a hired servant shall not remain with you all night until the morning.

Luke 10:25-37
And behold, a lawyer stood up to put him to the test, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?” He said to him, “What is written in the Law? How do you read it?” And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.” And he said to him, “You have answered correctly; do this, and you will live.” But he, desiring to justify himself, said to Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

Galatians 6:2
Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

Psalm 15:1-3
A Psalm of David. O Lord, who shall sojourn in your tent? Who shall dwell on your holy hill? He who walks blamelessly and does what is right and speaks truth in his heart; who does not slander with his tongue and does no evil to his neighbor, nor takes up a reproach against his friend;

1 John 3:17
But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him?

1 Corinthians 10:24
Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor.

John 3:16
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Matthew 22:37-40
And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”

Exodus 23:4
“If you meet your enemy's ox or his donkey going astray, you shall bring it back to him.

Hebrews 13:1-2
Let brotherly love continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

Ephesians 4:25
Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another.

John 15:13
Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.

John 15:12
“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.

Luke 10:36
Which of these three, do you think, proved to be a neighbor to the man who fell among the robbers?”

Luke 10:33
But a Samaritan, as he journeyed, came to where he was, and when he saw him, he had compassion.

Mark 12:30
And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’

Philippians 2:3
Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Romans 12:10
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Homeowner

Jan 25, 2022
Oslo
✟23,485.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

1. So have institutions like slavery so this is not really a selling point.

2. This is true for just about every authoritarian regime and your pets. Doesn't sound like a selling point either.

3. Low population growth has more to do with education and rising living standards unless you have some factual research that feminism is in large scale lowering the statistical female fertility rates.

4.Having your male relatives imposing more control on you instead of the state sure feels like more restrictive choice when thinking about your personal life. At least state control isn't personally motivated.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟962,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Being that feminism is such a recent development, ... nearly ALL of the world's past evils ... have occurred under patriarchy ...

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Since all are created equal, and since in Christ there is no male or female, perhaps egalitarianism is much better than either of the options you presented. It certainly makes more sense than pitting one against the other.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Bit of a circular argument. This state of affairs exists and works in a way you think is good, therefore it must be better than some other possible system which you evaluate against what you already believe is the best possible system.

You are also making some pretty big assumptions. What is your specific evidence that pre-historic/pre-agricultural communities were all or mostly patriarchal?

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If people accepted their place, they were protected and cared for, generally.

This argument pops up in different forms on conservative/religious blogs. I don't find it very convincing, as the various abuses that go on and always have gone on behind closed doors, at the family and institutional level, and the more open societal abuses, are completely ignored. It's a hollow argument for patriarchy. It's a decent argument for nation-states though, under secular governments, as that is the scenario in which the largest number of people get the most benefit. There's no need for a state to be patriarchal for that to apply though.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You mean ... like slaves, ... prostitutes, harem wives, concubines ... ???

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,678.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There's no need for a state to be patriarchal for that to apply though.
How well something works can have a lot to do with the character of the person doing it.

If you have an abusive father, he will not be a good patriarch.

Possibly, Nazi Germany was more of a patriarchal place . . . not good. Plenty of women could have done much better than Adolph Hitler did!

But women can do themselves in. I see how a number of women are unsubject; and as their own dictators they hurt their own selves.

Plus, plenty of men are not able to be submissive to God, and we can fail to do well in mutual submission "to one another in the fear of God."

"submitting to one another
in the fear of God."
(Ephesians 5:21)

And plenty of both men and women do not lead by example; but Peter says, to leaders >

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

Ones seem to take ruling to mean controlling; but I now understand that leading by example means taking the lead in doing what we all need to do.

So, a good example leader will be submissive and humble and kind, the way we all need to be :)

Even so, this does not answer if men are to be the leaders and women subject to men. One thing > if you don't do things the right way, it can not work. So, in case God does not want a man bossing women, this won't work > "without Me you can do nothing," Jesus says in John 15:5. And if women want to be bossy but God wants gentle and humble leadership, the bossy woman will get in trouble and could burn herself out, and she will not have Jesus Christ's "rest for your souls." (Matthew 11:28-30) I think I have seen how women demanding control can have major emotional problems.

God's word says the man is the "head" of his lady. (Ephesians 5:23)

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,507,169.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Systemically, denying half your population opportunities in education, employment, social participation, and so on, is not a good thing. It leaves the potential of a society and a culture stifled.

(That is aside from the question of whether unlimited population growth is a good thing; I would suggest that it is not).

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,678.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Systemically, denying half your population opportunities in education, employment, social participation, and so on, is not a good thing.
Well, Proverbs 31:10-31 talks how "a virtuous wife" is > this includes >

"She considers a field and buys it;
.From her profits she plants a vineyard."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .(Proverbs 31:16)

So, if she can do business so well, she has authority to buy land, plus education in how to do business well . . . so she is not getting into debt, I consider.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, Proverbs 31:10-31 talks how "a virtuous wife" is > this includes >

"She considers a field and buys it;
.From her profits she plants a vineyard."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .(Proverbs 31:16)

So, if she can do business so well, she has authority to buy land, plus education in how to do business well . . . so she is not getting into debt, I consider.
Perhaps, the issue is not the ideal patriarchy, ... but the way that patriarchy has been practiced up until this time.

Is is any wonder that a woman might say ... "well, ... I can do bad ... all by myself."

• Agree
Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1. So have institutions like slavery so this is not really a selling point.

2. This is true for just about every authoritarian regime and your pets. Doesn't sound like a selling point either.

3. Low population growth has more to do with education and rising living standards unless you have some factual research that feminism is in large scale lowering the statistical female fertility rates.

4.Having your male relatives imposing more control on you instead of the state sure feels like more restrictive choice when thinking about your personal life. At least state control isn't personally motivated.
Point 3 is worthy of discussion.

It's precisely female education that leads to low birth rates. As soon as women get higher education, marriages are delayed and rejected; birth control is promoted. That leads to fewer children.

Due to hypergamy (women always wanted to marry someone with higher status than themselves) the higher women rise in their society, the fewer potential mates they can find. Most women don't understand this trade-off until too late. Very, very few women earn high status and raise a family. Everywhere you look, the correlation is women's education vs birth rate.

Upvote 0

Homeowner

Jan 25, 2022
Oslo
✟23,485.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It's precisely female education that leads to low birth rates. As soon as women get higher education, marriages are delayed and rejected; birth control is promoted. That leads to fewer children.

Due to hypergamy (women always wanted to marry someone with higher status than themselves) the higher women rise in their society, the fewer potential mates they can find. Most women don't understand this trade-off until too late. Very, very few women earn high status and raise a family. Everywhere you look, the correlation is women's education vs birth rate.

Sure, however educating women does not equal feminism.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find it hilarious that people use Bible verses to attack the patriarchy. The Bible was in fact given to patriarchal people. There are no verses or concepts that are antithetical to Patriarchy. There are only commands and advice to be holy within the patriarchy.

Feminism on the other hand is antithetical to the Bible as written and interpreted for millennia. Feminists have to radically twist the Bible to get it to agree with Feminism.

Upvote 0