Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I think some pastors think their job is to carry out the Lord's will, which is made pretty clear in the Bible. I think other pastors are of the opinion that the Lord put them in the position they are in, and it's their job to do as they see fit.

Note: I edited this because I misspelled the word "will" originally.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAM2b

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I think both can be good or even the same thing and other times both things can go terribly bad. sometimes only the first is bad and the second is good. sometimes the opposite occurs.
I don't see how you can go far astray if you are sincerely trying to do the Lord's will. On the other hand, if you believe that the Lord has entrusted you with the freedom of doing whatever you see fit, I see the potential of great difficulty.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
both instances imply freedom. freedom is dangerous but it is that which* makes us who we are. that seems important to God.
I don't see the first option - carrying out the Lord's will - as freedom (for the sake of discussion). It (carrying out the Lord's will) implies that we are obeying the Lord's commandments, which I don't believe are open to interpretation.

Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is one (of several) reasons I'm a big fan of plurality of leadership in a Church. I've seen too many times where a Pastor starts to believe his will and Gods will are one and the same thing. With multiple pastors it helps to keep the "one-man show" to a minimum. :)
tulc(has 7 pastors in his Church) :wave:

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
This is one (of several) reasons I'm a big fan of plurality of leadership in a Church. I've seen too many times where a Pastor starts to believe his will and Gods will are one and the same thing. With multiple pastors it helps to keep the "one-man show" to a minimum. :)
tulc(has 7 pastors in his Church) :wave:
Interesting that you and I should agree on this. You should spend less time on the political forums.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,233.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think some pastors think their job is to carry out the Lord's will, which is made pretty clear in the Bible. I think other pastors are of the opinion that the Lord put them in the position they are in, and it's their job to do as they see fit.

Note: I edited this because I misspelled the word "will" originally.

Hah, that reminds me of how domestic help had to be managed when we were in the Philippines.

If you hired a maid, you couldn't tell her how you wanted things to be done in your house. From their point of view, you hired someone to take care of your house in the manner they saw fit. If that wasn't how you wanted it done, you were supposed to fire them and hire someone else, until you found someone who pretty much did things as you wanted.

Reactions: dreadnought
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,233.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting that you and I should agree on this. You should spend less time on the political forums.

There are a lot of people in these forums I agree with theologically that I disagree with politically.

All the more reason to keep worldly politics out of the Church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
How do you reconcile this with the existence of 20000+ denominations of Christianity?
If you only had one worldwide Christian denomination, the person, or people, at the top would be extremely powerful. Is that what the Lord wants? Do you remember the Tower of Babel?

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If you only had one worldwide Christian denomination, the person, or people, at the top would be extremely powerful. Is that what the Lord wants?

Beats me, I have never claimed to speak for any God.

Do you remember the Tower of Babel?

Can't say I do. Anyway, enough derailing, and back to the question you still haven't answered. If the Lord's commandments are not open to interpretation, why are there so many denominations of Christianity that have different interpretations of the commandments?

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Beats me, I have never claimed to speak for any God.

Can't say I do. Anyway, enough derailing, and back to the question you still haven't answered. If the Lord's commandments are not open to interpretation, why are there so many denominations of Christianity that have different interpretations of the commandments?
You don't want the world to be controlled by one person or one small group.

Upvote 0

Joy

May 21, 2004
B'ham
✟1,403,923.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
MOD HAT ON
262241_97344f3feba7d2020816cbb9e9ef87d8.jpeg

This Thread
From The Kitchen Sink

to "My Two Cents Worth"

as This is a More Fitting Forum
for this subject
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums