Status
Not open for further replies.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Parents wanted to opt their children out of Black History Month. A Utah school 'reluctantly' let them.
When Black History Month began last week, some parents in the predominantly White community of North Ogden, Utah, didn't see why their children had to participate. So they went to the head of Maria Montessori Academy, a public charter school with only three Black students, and demanded to "opt out."

The school "reluctantly" allowed them to do so.

After a local newspaper reported on the decision, community leaders responded with outrage.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I thought Black History Month was intended to "celebrate the achievements of black people" not rehearse their history of white slavery, oppression, racism and discrimination. That's a whole different subject.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
I thought Black History Month was intended to "celebrate the achievements of black people" not rehearse their history of white slavery, oppression, racism and discrimination. That's a whole different subject.

What does it say about you that you don't consider the fight against slavery, oppression, racism and discrimination to be an achievement?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What does it say about you that you don't consider the fight against slavery, oppression, racism and discrimination to be an achievement?

Maybe that I have studied the subject in some depth (what you do after you win the lottery is most important).

I think those parents didn't want a guilt trip laid on their children.

Last edited:
Reactions: atpollard
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Maybe that I have studied the subject in some depth (what you do after you win the lottery is most important).

I think those parents didn't want a guilt trip laid on their children.
Learning the truth should not make you feel guilty. If you feel guilty, that's on you, no one said you're guilty.

Upvote 0

Guinan

Dec 12, 2020
Texas
✟50,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, OldWiseGuy, but I'm curious to know what sources you used in your study on the subject. Would you mind citing your sources please? Thank you, in advance.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Black History Month not Black Achievements Month although their achievements are part of their history.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not trying to be argumentative here, OldWiseGuy, but I'm curious to know what sources you used in your study on the subject. Would you mind citing your sources please? Thank you, in advance.

A wide variety of sources dealing with contemporary black life in America, found by searching different relevant subjects that deal with black culture, habits, behaviors, as related to health, finances, education, employment, etc. My focus is black progress since the Civil Rights laws of the 1960's.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
A wide variety of sources dealing with contemporary black life in America, found by searching different relevant subjects that deal with black culture, habits, behaviors, as related to health, finances, education, employment, etc. My focus is black progress since the Civil Rights laws of the 1960's. I'm less interested in what came before.
And in a HISTORY class, the very subject is what came before.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The black population is 1% of the total population. Have many of these people even seen a black person in real life? Not trying to make excuses, at all, but I imagine a good many of these people have only a stereotyped image of black people in mind, no doubt heavily influenced by their politics.

Census shows Black population growing slightly in Utah

Black Or African American population in Utah 2020, 2019
The LDS church was shockingly late in recognizing black people as fully equal in formal church doctrine. Maybe thats got a little to do with it.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
then wouldn't you know what Black History Month is about as noted in post #10?

To the OP. A careful reading of the article suggests that the Black History that is going to be 'celebrated' isn't the achievements of blacks, but a rehearsing of the oppression of their slavery history.

This is what should be presented.
black achievements in america - Bing video

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To the OP. A careful reading of the article suggests that the Black History that is going to be 'celebrated' isn't the achievements of blacks, but a rehearsing of the oppression of their slavery history.

This is what should be presented.
black achievements in america - Bing video
In 1986 Congress passed Public Law 99-244 (PDF, 142KB) which designated February 1986 as "National Black (Afro-American) History Month.” This law noted that February 1, 1986 would “mark the beginning of the sixtieth annual public and private salute to Black History.” The law further directed the President to issue a proclamation calling on the people of the United States to observe February 1986 as Black History Month with the appropriate ceremonies and activities. President Reagan issued Presidential Proclamation 5443 which proclaimed that “the foremost purpose of Black History Month is to make all Americans aware of this struggle for freedom and equal opportunity.” This proclamation stated further that this month was a time “to celebrate the many achievements of African Americans in every field from science and the arts to politics and religion."
African American History Month | Law Library of Congress

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.