SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,142.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
A Physicist Has Worked Out The Math That Makes 'Paradox-Free' Time Travel Plausible:

(Paper is here).
The new research smooths out the problem with another hypothesis, that time travel is possible but that time travellers would be restricted in what they did, to stop them creating a paradox. In this model, time travellers have the freedom to do whatever they want, but paradoxes are not possible.
Further:
"The maths checks out – and the results are the stuff of science fiction," said physicist Fabio Costa from the University of Queensland, who supervised the research.
"Try as you might to create a paradox, the events will always adjust themselves, to avoid any inconsistency," says Costa. "The range of mathematical processes we discovered show that time travel with free will is logically possible in our universe without any paradox."

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
This might be a result of the data being altered by the person viewing it.

In terms of raw data, things such as free will don't matter unless there is some sort of sentient pilot directing the way the outcome goes.

One issue with time travel is: If to the future, how do they survive with less oxygen - or none of the necessary antibodies for the new viral infections? If to the past, will they somehow introduce viruses that shouldn't exist yet?

In both scenarios, the time traveller may actually end up dying or cease existing as a result.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't believe time exists, but I had a interesting thought experiment on how to use time travel to gain near infinite knowledge instantly.

How I would use time travel is, create thousands of probes that can survive the elements of space and such, set them to record the earth to start with, send them back to when earth started to form, and record. Then have them travel back to JUST after you sent them, and do this for all of history, you could send them once it was safe enough after the big bang to travel the galaxy doing the same thing, and just gather all the data you could ever want about the history of the universe.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,754.00
Faith
Atheist
I don't believe time exists, but I had a interesting thought experiment on how to use time travel to gain near infinite knowledge instantly.

How I would use time travel is, create thousands of probes that can survive the elements of space and such, set them to record the earth to start with, send them back to when earth started to form, and record. Then have them travel back to JUST after you sent them, and do this for all of history, you could send them once it was safe enough after the big bang to travel the galaxy doing the same thing, and just gather all the data you could ever want about the history of the universe.
AFAIR, all physically consistent closed timeline curves involving a time machine can't go back to a time before that time machine was first usable. But I may be remembering it wrong... ;)

Upvote 0