Dec 8, 2007
✟828,720.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Church is prepped for service this morning. We are still under Covid Restrictions on attendance, mandatory masks, and no congregational singing, but we are not letting that stop Holy Week; we continue also to broadcast our services on Facebook and Zoom:
Palm Sunday 2021.jpg

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Church is prepped for service this morning. We are still under Covid Restrictions on attendance, mandatory masks, and no congregational singing, but we are not letting that stop Holy Week; we continue also to broadcast our services on Facebook and Zoom:
View attachment 297000

Same here but we are handing out palms. Father and our Deacon will stand on opposite sides of the doorway wearing gloves and masks, and holding palms by their furthest end so much is hanging free. Then as people exit they will ask how many palms they want and people are to grab them when they are counted out from their tips.

All this to maintain social distances and reduce the chance of contamination.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,720.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Same here but we are handing out palms. Father and our Deacon will stand on opposite sides of the doorway wearing gloves and masks, and holding palms by their furthest end so much is hanging free. Then as people exit they will ask how many palms they want and people are to grab them when they are counted out from their tips.

All this to maintain social distances and reduce the chance of contamination.
We do the same, Palm Crosses.

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
View attachment 297000

Beautiful. Although if I might dare to nitpick liturgical colors, red is more traditional and I would better suited for Palm Sunday, although I personally like the Byzantine (more specifically, Russian) approach of using green vestments and paraments on Palm Sunday, and then the use of black during Holy Week, except on Maundy Thursday when dark red is used.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
We do the same, Palm Crosses.

Fun fact: Salix willows are traditionally used by Russians due to the absence of palm trees in most of their lands, and Salix willows were traditionally used by Northern Christians in general. My Scandinavian American Lutheran family in the Midwest also remembers using them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,720.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Beautiful. Although if I might dare to nitpick liturgical colors, red is more traditional and I would better suited for Palm Sunday, although I personally like the Byzantine (more specifically, Russian) approach of using green vestments and paraments on Palm Sunday, and then the use of black during Holy Week, except on Maundy Thursday when dark red is used.
Your are correct. The Rubrics of LSC do allow for both options. Our red Paraments have a big, gold Triple Aleluia, so not the best choice for Lent. Great for Penticost and other feast days though. Dark red with black would be ideal. White does work because it is a feast day, the commemoration of the institution of the Eucharist. At the end of the service the Altar and chancel was stripped bare. I will post pictures later of both Good Friday and the Vigial.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Your are correct. The Rubrics of LSC do allow for both options. Our red Paraments have a big, gold Triple Aleluia, so not the best choice for Lent. Great for Penticost and other feast days though. Dark red with black would be ideal. White does work because it is a feast day, the commemoration of the institution of the Eucharist. At the end of the service the Altar and chancel was stripped bare. I will post pictures later of both Good Friday and the Vigial.

Well it sounds like you guys just need another set of paraments. Although not traditional in most of the Western Church (except in Milan, the Ambrosian Rite, I think), I really love the Russo-Byzantine practice of using green on Palm Sunday. That is aided however by the fact that green is not the “default color” in the Byzantine Rite (interestingly by the way, I have been told the Typikon only specifies “light” or “dark” vestments, and so the varying customs on top of that are interpretations, and there are regional variations; for example, in the US and most other places white is the standard for Pascha, but in Russia, red and silver vestments have become de rigeur).

Upvote 0