Palestinians used Bible as toilet paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norseman

EAC Representative
Apr 29, 2004
Currently in China
✟13,677.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Fineous_Reese said:
the dead might not care but living should care about who is killing and why. if we support those who target little girls, or don't support those who fight those who target little girls, how much better are we as humans than the terrorists themselves?

Let's say (hypothetically) that there is a group of terrorists who specifically target schools and kill young children on the order of 150 children a year. Let's say that in order to fight them, we will end up killing 300 children a year. Finally, let's say that if we fight them, their loved ones will see them as martyr's and take their places and/or enlarge their cause. Given those circumstances, even though it may seem right to fight them, you would only end up worse than they are i.e. sink to their level.

The question is, how much does that analogy hold up in real life? Seen from the angle of the hydra, no matter how many heads you cut off, two more will replace them. We need to make sure that's not what we're doing. Osama Bin Laden has said that he attacked us because we attacked him first. Our troops were supporting Israel, and we attacked his people (apparently). We may very well be making the situation worse by fighting. It's important that we look critically at our techniques and make sure of two things:

1. We cannot be killing more innocents than they do (otherwise we become worse than them). There have been around 100,000 casualties in Iraq (note that a casualty is someone who has been wounded, not necessarily killed). Two questions then: how innocents did they actually kill, and how many innocents have we actuallly killed?

2. We cannot be making them more powerful. The big question here is are we killing more insurgents than we're making? If not, we need to step back, find out why that is, and change how we do things.

Upvote 0

Fineous_Reese

Striving to be like the men of Issachar
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2004
✟31,993.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Norseman said:
Let's say (hypothetically) that there is a group of terrorists who specifically target schools and kill young children on the order of 150 children a year. Let's say that in order to fight them, we will end up killing 300 children a year. Finally, let's say that if we fight them, their loved ones will see them as martyr's and take their places and/or enlarge their cause. Given those circumstances, even though it may seem right to fight them, you would only end up worse than they are i.e. sink to their level.

The question is, how much does that analogy hold up in real life? Seen from the angle of the hydra, no matter how many heads you cut off, two more will replace them. We need to make sure that's not what we're doing. Osama Bin Laden has said that he attacked us because we attacked him first. Our troops were supporting Israel, and we attacked his people (apparently). We may very well be making the situation worse by fighting. It's important that we look critically at our techniques and make sure of two things:

1. We cannot be killing more innocents than they do (otherwise we become worse than them). There have been around 100,000 casualties in Iraq (note that a casualty is someone who has been wounded, not necessarily killed). Two questions then: how innocents did they actually kill, and how many innocents have we actuallly killed?

2. We cannot be making them more powerful. The big question here is are we killing more insurgents than we're making? If not, we need to step back, find out why that is, and change how we do things.

for stepping back we can look at the israel/palestine conflict to see what happens when israel begins a cease fire. they got suicide bombers while the PA laments no control.

going back to the top, saying, hypothetically, we have to kill children 300 a year is starting with a presumption that i see no support for. the US spent a lot of cash on laser guided concrete chunks to take out tanks while doing as little damage as possible to the civilians the tanks had been parked among. not only civilians were saved though, when iraqi soldiers realized they could "melt away" into the crowd by leaving the tank we saved a lot of soldiers lives too. granted, some of these turned around and tried to kill us in other ways but who is worse, we for letting them live or them for trying to kill us?

Upvote 0

Scholar in training

sine ira et studio
Feb 25, 2005
United States
✟22,540.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
feral said:
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. Way to go. :sigh:
This is actually a misrepresentation of the "an eye for an eye" principle. It was intended to be a graceful law, in that it did not allow for individuals to be punished beyond what they deserved. Basically it means "let the time fit the crime."

Upvote 0

nathanel

Dec 6, 2004
✟1,006.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
Robert43 said:
Muslims' desecration of holy book received little notice...
Well that's one way to try and reclaim the "moral high ground" point the finger back and say "see they did it first!"

Of course this does nothing to restore our credibility. At best it just lowers the standard of decency for everyone so we aren't so far below it.

Upvote 0

MidnightBlue

June Carter, pray for us!
May 16, 2005
✟18,611.00
Faith
Harpuia said:
I think that WND has some kind of vendetta with the Muslim culture for some reason. I just can't put my finger on it.

Violence is one problem, and religious intolerance is another, but those who love violence and intolerance find it comforting to believe that Islam is the problem.

Upvote 0

Scholar in training

sine ira et studio
Feb 25, 2005
United States
✟22,540.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Arnold_Philips said:
In response to the OP (I know I'm late):

The Bible is just a book. We don't worship a book. It might be divinely inspired, but that doesn't mean it sits up there with the Godhead. It's different for the Koran, which was dictated unto Mohammed.
That argument sounds nice, but it doesn't hold water. Portions of Revelation refer to an angel telling John what to write; other parts of the Bible (i.e. the prophets) write exactly (or at least paraphrase) what God said.

Reactions: Fineous_Reese
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Praise2God

Sep 21, 2004
✟508.00
Faith
Christian
Ninja Turtles said:
You do realize that these are religious fanatics. It's not that they don't value human life, it's that they justify their heinous acts through religion. The Bible is respected in Islam, Jesus is accepted as a prophet, so it would make no sense for people considered religious extremists to use the Bible as toilet paper.

This is just a garbage article put out so people can spread misinformation about the Muslims desecrating the Bible.
I think you posted this out of ignorance. It DID happen. Where have you been? Your lack of knowledge about religion regarding Christianity vs. Islam is showing.

Upvote 0

Norseman

EAC Representative
Apr 29, 2004
Currently in China
✟13,677.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Praise2God said:
I think you posted this out of ignorance. It DID happen. Where have you been? Your lack of knowledge about religion regarding Christianity vs. Islam is showing.

Read through the thread, consider the source.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ninja Turtles

Secrecy and Accountability Cannot Co-Exist
Jan 18, 2005
✟3,971.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Praise2God said:
LOL :D

My knowledge about Christianity and Islam is quite fine (I don't see a pointin using "versus" as if they are rivals).

Upvote 0

Norseman

EAC Representative
Apr 29, 2004
Currently in China
✟13,677.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Ninja Turtles said:
What? :scratch:

Palestinians are angry about a news article in 2005, so they go back in time to tear up Bibles in 2002?

Yes! Exactly! That's what we've been saying all along! Them terroris' got time travel!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.