Boondocks
✟49,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you're familiar with this book written by Frank Viola and George Barna, I'd be interested in discussing whether you accept the premise of the authors and if you have, then whether you've taken any action to seek out others who are like minded (interested in getting back to 1st Century Christianity) or if you would like to share your thoughts on any area of the book.

If you're not familiar with this book, I highly recommend it. For a taste of what it's all about see the following two links.

Pagan Christianity by Frank Viola Author and George Barna

Pagan Christianity.JPG

Reactions: Pioneer3mm

BFOJ

Site Supporter
Dec 11, 2018
Boondocks
✟49,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't say weird stuff about Constantine, right?

I don't know what you mean by "weird stuff", it does address the matter of Constantine and it's based on historical data from a number of reliable sources.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't know what you mean by "weird stuff", it does address the matter of Constantine and it's based on historical data from a number of reliable sources.
You know, like creating the Catholic Church, becoming the new Pope or something like that.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you're familiar with this book written by Frank Viola and George Barna, I'd be interested in discussing whether you accept the premise of the authors and if you have, then whether you've taken any action to seek out others who are like minded (interested in getting back to 1st Century Christianity) or if you would like to share your thoughts on any area of the book.

If you're not familiar with this book, I highly recommend it. For a taste of what it's all about see the following two links.

Pagan Christianity by Frank Viola Author and George Barna

View attachment 247140

Do you have any vested interest the book?

Upvote 0

BFOJ

Site Supporter
Dec 11, 2018
Boondocks
✟49,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I read the book maybe 10 years ago. I was initially attracted to it because the reviews indicated that the authors were going down the same path I had been on since the late 80s.

As I read through, I found it an excellent read and immensely useful in confirming many things I already suspected or had found for myself elsewhere.

So, yes, I recommend it. However if you want to get the best out of it, read it prayerfully and with an open mind.

Upvote 0

BFOJ

Site Supporter
Dec 11, 2018
Boondocks
✟49,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you have any vested interest the book?

Sure, I get a 20% commission on each book that is sold. NOT! I'm a fellow traveler that is interested in the history of the New Testament Church and found the book to be challenging in my view of today's institutional church and how much of it is not sound in a biblical sense.

Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

BFOJ

Site Supporter
Dec 11, 2018
Boondocks
✟49,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I read the book maybe 10 years ago. I was initially attracted to it because the reviews indicated that the authors were going down the same path I had been on since the late 80s.

As I read through, I found it an excellent read and immensely useful in confirming many things I already suspected or had found for myself elsewhere.

So, yes, I recommend it. However if you want to get the best out of it, read it prayerfully and with an open mind.

It's so refreshing to hear from someone that has actually read it and I too am going down that same path that you are on, though I am a novice relative to you. Do I agree with all that is written, not necessarily, but it was a refreshing look at why the church is as it is in today's world and is no longer the force it once was in this secular world.

Upvote 0

BFOJ

Site Supporter
Dec 11, 2018
Boondocks
✟49,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You know, like creating the Catholic Church, becoming the new Pope or something like that.

It does cover that aspect of the Catholic Church and even the churches after the Reformation period through today.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sure, I get a 20% commission on each book that is sold. NOT! I'm a fellow traveler that is interested in the history of the New Testament Church and found the book to be challenging in my view of today's institutional church and how much of it is not sound in a biblical sense.

Thank you, and sorry you saw it as an unfair question.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps you could explain the intent of your question. Maybe it is I who misunderstood what you meant by your question?

It was to find out if you were genuinely interested in the book or if you were trying to market it.

Upvote 0

BFOJ

Site Supporter
Dec 11, 2018
Boondocks
✟49,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It was to find out if you were genuinely interested in the book or if you were trying to market it.

I see. I'd never had thought that someone was marketing a book, especially on a Christian forum. Has this happened previously that led you to wonder? My apologies to you, my brother.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see. I'd never had thought that someone was marketing a book, especially on a Christian forum. Has this happened previously that led you to wonder? My apologies to you, my brother.

I wasn't after apology, I asked a simple and fair question then politely thanked you when you answered. And yes, people, on occasion, try to advertise on forums in one form or another..

• Agree
Reactions: BFOJ
Upvote 0

BFOJ

Site Supporter
Dec 11, 2018
Boondocks
✟49,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I wasn't after apology, I asked a simple and fair question then politely thanked you when you answered. And yes, people, on occasion, try to advertise on forums in one form or another..

The problem with forums and FB and other social media is that one can misconstrue the intent of that which is posted. In this case, I did read something into your original response that you didn't intend, however I do have to say I did feel that my intention was being questioned. I do very much appreciate what you have written.

Upvote 0