✟5,294.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

Whenever I feel the temptation to do something bad, I see root cause is simply my own weakness but I can always work on overcoming it. If I understand correctly, Christians believe that this temptation comes from the devil. Is my viewpoint incompatable with the Christian faith?

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,013,150.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The evil one latches onto our weaknesses. He tries to tempt us to sin. To get us away from God.

I know what that is like. It can be a daily battle.

Just be assured and determined that however many battles the evil one may win, he aint ever going to win the war!

God bless you

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

Whenever I feel the temptation to do something bad, I see root cause is simply my own weakness but I can always work on overcoming it. If I understand correctly, Christians believe that this temptation comes from the devil. Is my viewpoint incompatable with the Christian faith?

Paul agrees with you ... for the most part christians have no idea who the devil is ...

Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

I believe it is our own human nature (often referred to as "sin"). The Christian idea of the devil always takes the blame for this. Some folks just have to have something else to blame for their own failings.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

I agree. The flesh is weak on it's own.
Blessings

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Is my viewpoint incompatable with the Christian faith?
No, but possibly with the views of humans within Christianity looking for loopholes to take responsibility off of themselves. Some prefer to blame an outside source but the truth is we are all guilty of putting our will ahead of the will of God, from the Adversary on down to all of us. God asked us to repent of such actions so the onus is on us to correct our behaviour. He even give us numerous examples so that we may understand how our selfishness leads to trouble for ourselves and others.

• Winner
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hello,

In Christianity it's not an either-or situation.

The devil does tempt.

But our own weakness, what the New Testament often calls "the flesh", is itself inwardly directed and inclined to obey the passions--doing the things we know we shouldn't, failing to do the things we ought to do.

I'm quite capable of being a sinner without the devil's lying tongue. But his lying tongue is still real.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Christianity it's not an either-or situation.

The devil does tempt.

But our own weakness, what the New Testament often calls "the flesh", is itself inwardly directed and inclined to obey the passions--doing the things we know we shouldn't, failing to do the things we ought to do.

I'm quite capable of being a sinner without the devil's lying tongue. But his lying tongue is still real.

-CryptoLutheran
when we worship the devil, the god of this world, as the devil tempted jesus to do, we are drawn away of our own lust, it is god that does not tempt any man, but when men are of their father the devil, they hear the king over all the children of pride, and serve sin. [ the devil]

Upvote 0