Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think I'm just overwhelmed with really leaning into my beliefs, and truly letting myself believe in God and seeing and meeting others who believe in Him. Has anyone else experienced this? There's no one I can really talk to around me, and I get emotional talking about it with my parents. Can anyone give me some advice?

Hello Violetta!

If I want to say anything to you, it is that you are not alone. Salvation or regeneration of the soul to God via the redemptive work of Jesus effects everyone on a their own levels of experience. I seen the Lord take the most callus heart of one of my in laws, a bully thru and thru, and melt his heart to that of a teddy bear. Some people are not that effected in their conversions, and others are much more dramatic.

What you are experiencing is very normal. Not everyone is going to understand it and realistically they are not going to since they not been in your shoes. Despite that, you now have open and full access to the God of all creation and due to the work He has done in your heart. You are very sensitive to the work He is still doing. To me it sounds like you enter into His presence during the church service.

Now I have to warn you. There are churches that are God fearing, praying, and feeding the flock. There are many churches that are artificial, putting on a show to fake it and teach distortions. This has happened even since the beginning of the Church in the first century. Be weary that you are not being deceived by everything that is out there. Normally learning the Word of God helps you to navigate what is real and what is a lie. This takes a lifetime to learn. We are here to help if you have questions about anything you are running into that concerns you.

Stick to what you are doing, as the Lord God heals your heart, eventually you will find a way to talk to others about what you are going thru.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If it was me.. I would be looking for a WORD Church.. thats a Church that preaches the word. I remember we went to this Church where a Preacher was visiting. We had never been to that Church.. the second I walked in.. was the STRANGES Feeling.. I was home.. SO STRANGE

And Jesus said.. true worshipers will worship in spirit and truth and.. in that room alone you are where GOD wants you

Upvote 0

geodub

Jan 28, 2019
Memphis
Visit site
✟16,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This reply maybe late but, you are doing a great job to check in here. I am new to the forums. However, I have been a Christian for a few decades. Most of the time I struggle with where to fit in my church. There has been so much support here at the forums. You can find a lot of good advice.

For myself, being an introvert, I have found taking my time and watching people to see what is happening works well. And when I feel overwhelmed, I step back and pray. There have been several times I went to an empty room in the church or my house and prayed.

He will guide you. Posting here is a great step in the process to discovering your identity in Christ.

Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings and welcome to a lifelong journey where we experience Gods' love, mercy, grace and where He speaks to us through His Word and where He guides and directs us by His Holy Spirit to find and do His will for out lives. Our life, once we repent, is not our own it is God's bought by the shedding of the blood of Christ, His planned sacrifice for our sins. Our first and foremost objective is to read the Word of God daily and to pray privately to the author and finisher of our salvation.

This is a lifelong journey of dying to self and living a life in Gods' will. It is not a life of church or religion, but of setting aside self and being filled by the Spirit of God, to be a vessel available to be used by God to achieve His purpose on this earth. We can find like minded people in church and can exhort and encourage one another on this journey as well as care for and pray for one another. Church can be a place where we learn God's word in how He works among us. Church can also be a distraction from God. Read the Word, pray and seek the Lord. From that beginning will come much more. This is not an all inclusive description of what the Christian life is or is not but is the starting point. In Mathew 16 beginning with verse 24 Christ laid out a beginning place once one has repented - Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 25 For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. 26 What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? Die to self and live, through the power of the Holy Spirit a life committed to knowing and doing the will of God.

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

BlessedVegan

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2004
SC
✟59,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There are others like you. I have a hard time feeling comfortable telling my innermost spiritual beliefs because we didn’t talk much about religion most of my life.we have a scripture study every week which I enjoy,at the beginning we bring up any prayer requests we have. I had asked for a prayer request last week, and then the Rabbi mentions he doesn’t want to be the only one praying, he encouraged us to pray as we felt moved to. He meant praying out loud at the study. It was so awkward for me because I am super literal when I pray (“please help me find a better job”) whereas all the other people are much better at praying than me (they pray to know Gods will be revealed to them, etc). There’s nothing wrong with that but it’s not how I am and so I feel like I’ll sound ridiculous praying out loud like that. Anyway I got too long but just know others have been there!
I have been wanting to become more involved with my religion in the past year (my family is Christian but never goes to church or is particularly religious), but when I go to church, it feels both too real and also too little. I didn't grow up going, so I feel a little distant not having read the Bible and experiencing the services. At the same time, I feel overwhelmed being in a place of faith and worship and feeling so happy and at the same time feeling extremely emotional and overwhelmed - I don't really know how to describe it. The last time I went, I cried, and cried hard. I'm also not familiar with how services go and things that everyone seems to know by heart but I have no clue about. I truly believe in God, but for me worship has always been in private. I feel awkward telling my parents I want to attend services, and it's weird being in a place with other people who share the same faith as I do (church), because I'm so used to just praying alone in my room. I think I'm just overwhelmed with really leaning into my beliefs, and truly letting myself believe in God and seeing and meeting others who believe in Him. Has anyone else experienced this? There's no one I can really talk to around me, and I get emotional talking about it with my parents. Can anyone give me some advice?

Upvote 0