Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Example to illustrate what you are discussing above?

Just go back in this thread, maybe back to page 89, and read from there. Examples have been given repeatedly. Too repeatedly, in fact.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Oh, please. I set a trap and you fell right into it.

So you deliberately stated this falsehood? That's what you're saying?

Seriously, and with all due respect, if you need me to explain my question just ask.

Rhetorical questions are rarely worth answering.

My point is to illustrate the absurdity of the argument being made by those wailing over the persecution of gays in context of a cake or pizza shop. Iran and other Muslim countries consider homosexuality a crime punishable by death, a belief they put into practice.

Which is a ridiculous argument. We have the Constitution to protect people's rights, Iran does not.

Yet you defend Iran and attack Christianity.

Nope. I just point out when people tell lies about them. My religion teaches that is wrong.

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟511,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just go back in this thread, maybe back to page 89, and read from there. Examples have been given repeatedly. Too repeatedly, in fact.

I have read those four or five example you provided. I addressed some of them but I am trying to assess what is your point in relation to those examples?

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟511,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As far as I recall, there have been no examples. Only unsupported assertions.

Well, he conjured some examples and they are most intriguing because they involve potential 1st Amendment free speech rights on behalf of the bakeries.

Upvote 0

JohnLocke

Sep 23, 2006
✟16,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Libertarian
And if you don't...?

snip

She would be held responsible -- except that banks "willingly" instruct their employees to always cooperate with robbers.

Many businesses have similar rules; there have been cases of business employees heroically foiling would-be robbers, only to be fired by their bosses for noncompliance.

Absolutely and entirely false. The reason a bank teller is not charged with robbery or accessory to robbery is the legal defense of DURESS which simple put says, "No person shall be convicted of a less than capital crime if the person committed the crime under the threat of violence to themselves or those close to them."

There simply is no "willing" in the face of a imminent threat of death. At least not in the United States.

Businesses adopt "comply with robbery" policies to avoid the liability associated with their employees and customers getting injured or dead in the course of the robbery.

By the by, the victim of a robbery or any other crime does not have veto power of the state prosecuting such a case and can, in most instances, be compelled to testify against their will.

Before you make pronouncements over the status of the law, I would suggest that you read some of it first.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Businesses adopt "comply with robbery" policies to avoid the liability associated with their employees and customers getting injured or dead in the course of the robbery.

Including banks, correct?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Should the children of the bank teller and/or robber be held responsible for the robbery?

You realize you're just going further off topic, right? Is that intentional?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
She would be held responsible -- except that banks "willingly" instruct their employees to always cooperate with robbers.

Many businesses have similar rules; there have been cases of business employees heroically foiling would-be robbers, only to be fired by their bosses for noncompliance.

Here's another case for you to consider then. If a woman is being raped by a man with a gun, and she submits to the rape, is she truly being raped since she submitted to the rape. Remember, she could still resist but would probably get shot. So was she willingly raped?

Be careful how you answer this one.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
A wedding cake is a wedding cake. In all the cases I'm aware of in which a baker has refused service to a same-sex couple, no mention has been made of any decorations. Just of the baker refusing to provide any cake at all.

(How, in your opinion, would a straight-themed cake differ from a gay-themed cake anyway?)

By decorating it with gay-themed decorations (2 men or 2 women on top, gay pride flag, etc.).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

David Brider

Aug 18, 2004
With the Lord
✟81,010.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
By decorating it with gay-themed decorations (2 men or 2 women on top, gay pride flag, etc.).

Would simply selling a cake without any such decorations be okay, in your opinion?

And what if neither member of the same-sex couple getting married is actually gay? If they're both bisexual or pansexual, having little figurines on top of the cake to represent them wouldn't really be "gay-themed", would it? (Would you say that having figurines on top of a cake to represent an opposite-sex couple is really "straight-themed" anyway? Even if they're both straight, it's more "wedding-themed" than anything else. I'd've thought.)

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Here's another case for you to consider then. If a woman is being raped by a man with a gun, and she submits to the rape, is she truly being raped since she submitted to the rape. Remember, she could still resist but would probably get shot. So was she willingly raped?

Be careful how you answer this one.

You want an answer from a legal, moral, or Biblical perspective?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I'm asking your opinion. Besides, I wouldn't put much stock in your biblical perspective anyway.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Would simply selling a cake without any such decorations be okay, in your opinion?

I've answered this before--many times. I'm tired of the repetition.

And what if neither member of the same-sex couple getting married is actually gay? If they're both bisexual or pansexual, having little figurines on top of the cake to represent them wouldn't really be "gay-themed", would it? (Would you say that having figurines on top of a cake to represent an opposite-sex couple is really "straight-themed" anyway? Even if they're both straight, it's more "wedding-themed" than anything else. I'd've thought.)

You're splitting hairs now. Are you asking me for my own opinion about what I'd do if I was a baker? I would want to let my conscience decide in each of these cases.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

David Brider

Aug 18, 2004
With the Lord
✟81,010.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
I've answered this before--many times. I'm tired of the repetition.

Well, it's a simple yes or no answer - I'm sure repeating it once more for clarity wouldn't hurt.

You're splitting hairs now.

Habit of mine.

Are you asking me for my own opinion about what I'd do if I was a baker? I would want to let my conscience decide in each of these cases.

Right now I'm less questioning what you'd do if you were a baker, more your imprecise use of the word "gay". But, since you ask...were you a baker, and were my wife and I (assuming we were actually unmarried and planning our wedding) to approach you and ask you to bake us a cake - with cake toppers and our names on the cake - would your conscience allow you to provide such a cake? And would that decision change if we were to tell you that actually, one of us is bisexual? Would you consider the resulting cake to be "straight-themed" or not?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Right now I'm less questioning what you'd do if you were a baker, more your imprecise use of the word "gay". But, since you ask...were you a baker, and were my wife and I (assuming we were actually unmarried and planning our wedding) to approach you and ask you to bake us a cake - with cake toppers and our names on the cake - would your conscience allow you to provide such a cake? And would that decision change if we were to tell you that actually, one of us is bisexual? Would you consider the resulting cake to be "straight-themed" or not?

If you are a man and she's a woman, I see no problem.

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
If you are a man and she's a woman, I see no problem.

Let's say he's a polygamist and this woman would be his seventh wife (and polygamy was not against the law). You wouldn't have a problem with that? After all, he's a man and she's a woman. I'm just curious to know where you would draw the line.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Let's say he's a polygamist and this woman would be his seventh wife (and polygamy was not against the law). You wouldn't have a problem with that? After all, he's a man and she's a woman. I'm just curious to know where you draw the line.

You could ask me about every situation under the sun. Is it my opinion here that is of so much value to everyone? I can't speak for anyone else when it comes to personal decisions of conscience.

To answer this one now--I'd probably have some problem with it, but I'm not sure if I would make a firm stand either way. I'm not a baker, or any kind of business owner, so it would be something I'd have to be right there in the actual situation to be able to say one way or the other.

Reactions: Red Fox
Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single

I believe the biblical perspective is if the woman doesn't cry out, it isn't rape.

"If within the city a man comes upon a maiden who is betrothed, and has relations with her, you shall bring them both out of the gate of the city and there stone them to death: the girl because she did not cry out for help though she was in the city, and the man because he violated his neighbors wife."
Deuteronomy 22:23-24

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.