Overcoming anger.

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I blow my top easily. It doesn't matter who is talking to me, or what they're saying usually they make me blow my top.

I have repented to God and to others idk how many multitudes of times. The more I try to stop being angry the more angry I become. Its true, we're all sinners, Christ died for all our sins past, present, and future but I dont need to be reminded more and more each day im alive just how much I fail God seemingly more and more everyday im alive.

Im getting a little sick of blowing my top, getting angry and apologizing 2 minutes later despite still being extremely angry. I mean? God freed me from a lot of sins but its disheartening having to wait for death to see the completion of God's work. I like every other Christian want it now and maybe that makes me a litt.e angry at God.

Unlike him, I can't see the end of my labor. I cannot see my glory. Instead I just have to hang onto his promises because they are our only hope at sanctification and ultimately our glorification. Paul promised that all things work together for good but... where is the good in my anger? Or my body for that matter? There is no good in me, I'm only evil and it is only evil that I keep on doing. Why?

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I blow my top easily. It doesn't matter who is talking to me, or what they're saying usually they make me blow my top.

I have repented to God and to others idk how many multitudes of times. The more I try to stop being angry the more angry I become. Its true, we're all sinners, Christ died for all our sins past, present, and future but I dont need to be reminded more and more each day im alive just how much I fail God seemingly more and more everyday im alive.

Im getting a little sick of blowing my top, getting angry and apologizing 2 minutes later despite still being extremely angry. I mean? God freed me from a lot of sins but its disheartening having to wait for death to see the completion of God's work. I like every other Christian want it now and maybe that makes me a litt.e angry at God.

Unlike him, I can't see the end of my labor. I cannot see my glory. Instead I just have to hang onto his promises because they are our only hope at sanctification and ultimately our glorification. Paul promised that all things work together for good but... where is the good in my anger? Or my body for that matter? There is no good in me, I'm only evil and it is only evil that I keep on doing. Why?
It's easy for me not to be angry since I believe God causes all situations and they work for my good. You are angry with him if you are angry at all.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

I had similar issues. I recommend two books, both by Puritan authors.

The Art of Divine Contentment: An Exposition of Philippians 4:11 (eBook) | Monergism

This one is free online. It’s about contentment. Discontentment is a major source of anger.

https://www.amazon.com/Cure-Unjust-Anger-John-Downame-ebook/dp/B0876FM1NZ

The Kindle edition is pretty cheap.

Both are very readable. By God’s Providence, I read them together. Tremendous help.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Its true, we're all sinners, Christ died for all our sins past, present, and future

Past, yes, present and future if we ask, and try to do good. It ain't over till it's over. Jesus told us when he gave us the Lord's Prayer, to ask forgiveness daily. If it were a done deal, he would not have told us to continue to ask forgiveness.

God freed me from a lot of sins but its disheartening having to wait for death to see the completion of God's work.

You just found some sins easier to quit. This is something you need to get a hold of, God will help, and gives you great initiative, but you need to gey busy and do it.

Some sin was hard for me to quit as well, some easy. My best advice is practice makes perfect. It took some time but it worked for me....finally, whew! :)

You have full control of yourself, now take hold, and tame what is not tamed. I never had any bad anger issues but what I did have, I was able to deal with it much like I did others sin, as in the following, talking to myself.

"Dude, what is wrong with you, dont you have the least bit of self control, I mean how pitiful a little man you are to not be able to stop such a petty thing"

Or something along those lines. But it was true, what kind of individual are we if we can't control what is out of control?

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟736,252.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I used to have an anger problem with my wife. God showed me that, when I was overcome by angry emotions, I was allowing Satan's emotions to flow through me. The feelings of anger, that we get, often strong feelings, feelings that we may feel are justified, actually come from the devil. Once I realized this, I stopped allowing the overwhelming feeling to consume me. I would pause, stop, and let the emotion pass. Rather than vent these emotions, we need to let them rest in us, for the brief time we feel them. There are very few times in life that we should ever be angry.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Matthew 5:44
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

If you need forgiveness, forgive those who hurt you.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

This is, as all sin is, just a symptom of Self, the "old Man" the apostle Paul called it, in control of you rather than the Holy Spirit. You've probably developed some biochemical pathways that assist your bad temper, too. Anyway, God's answer to all sin - including temper - is the same: repent, confess, and submit.

I have repented to God and to others idk how many multitudes of times. The more I try to stop being angry the more angry I become.

The answer is to look at Jesus, to fix your "inner gaze" upon him, not at the strain of overcoming your temper. (See Hebrews 12:2-3 and 2 Corinthians 3:18)

Its true, we're all sinners, Christ died for all our sins past, present, and future but I dont need to be reminded more and more each day im alive just how much I fail God seemingly more and more everyday im alive.

It's this failure that finally presses us in total dependence upon God, upon the Holy Spirit. Only when we are fully convinced we don't have what it takes to live God's way do we finally yield ourselves to Him as we must, waiting on Him to transform us as only He can do. If you'll look carefully at Scripture, there are many places where it says God takes the responsibility for changing us (Philippians 1:6; Philippians 2:13; 1 Corinthians 1:8-9; Romans 8:13; 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24, etc.) - but only as we constantly surrender to Him doing so (Romans 6:13-22; Romans 12:1; James 4:7; 1 Peter 5:6).

God freed me from a lot of sins but its disheartening having to wait for death to see the completion of God's work. I like every other Christian want it now and maybe that makes me a litt.e angry at God.

God has freed you - and all of His children - from the power of sin. Read Romans 6. Are you living by faith in the truths of that chapter?

There is no good in me, I'm only evil and it is only evil that I keep on doing. Why?

There are only two basic reasons: You love yourself more than you love God and you don't know who you really are in Christ. It's no more complicated than this.

Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Dear one,
You may need God’s strength not to be angry.

As we have heard:
The LORD is the strength of his people; he is the saving refuge of his anointed. -Psalms 28:8

Also, you may need to find God’s peace.

This is what we have heard:
You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. -Isaiah 26:3

Dear one, I hope God bring you relief soon. In His righteousness, He bring you out of this distress.

May God’s peace be with you always.

Upvote 0

turkle

Blessed
Jan 25, 2004
✟227,007.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is only one reason that we get angry: we are not getting what we want.

Paul acknowledged that we will anger, but he says that in our anger, we are not to sin. That is the sin that you are struggling with.

One of the fruits of the Spirit is self-control. It does not come naturally, it must be learned. 2 year olds throw tantrums (because they aren't getting what they want), but as they mature, most learn to control the impulse to lash out and cause harm to others and damage to their relationships. If you really want to learn this self-control, I recommend that you pray about it every morning, asking God to help you to control yourself when something or someone triggers you. Every time I have asked God to show me where I'm likely to sin with anger, He has shown me and given me grace to control it. He will do the same for you.

• Friendly
Reactions: SANTOSO
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I get angry because I don't get what I want. The more I lash out when I get angry, the less likely it is that I will get what I want. It is more likely that I will get what I don't want - if I break something, I have to clean it up or take time to fix it or spend money to replace it or deal with that broken thing until I take one of those choices. If I lash out in public, my reputation suffers and I potentially get arrested or get more abuse from the public. And so forth.

When I get angry, and it happens, I have to recognize it and hit an internal kill switch to mitigate the damage that I am doing to my own life, and the lives of those I care about.

It's still short of God's standards, but it is practicing self-control, such as it is. And that has merit.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Responding in anger is a choice and there must be a buy-in. You’re expressing yourself for a reason. The root can be limitless. Knowing your trigger is important. As is recognizing you’re in the driver’s seat. You can dial it back or shut it down. Don’t believe otherwise. Pray for self-control and keep affirming its fruit.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Responding in anger is a choice and there must be a buy-in. You’re expressing yourself for a reason. The root can be limitless. Knowing your trigger is important. As is recognizing you’re in the driver’s seat. You can dial it back or shut it down. Don’t believe otherwise. Pray for self-control and keep affirming its fruit.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Question, what if nothing is being done to remedy the triggers? How do I ignore it and just let it happen?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Question, what if nothing is being done to remedy the triggers? How do I ignore it and just let it happen?

The first step is recognizing the trigger. Recall the situations and what proceeded the outburst. For instance, let’s say it’s computers. You get upset when someone questions your knowledge or experience in a negative fashion.

Then you need to assess the richter scale. How bad do you trigger? The bigger the explosion the more diffusion and avoidance are a must. Maybe you’re an 8 on this subject.

Knowing all of that indulgence is futile. It will never go well. The topic is a landmine. Shutting it down or ending the discussion are your only options as is leaving the room. If you continue things will spiral.

That’s a workable framework to start with. Diagnose everything and pinpoint it on the scale.

Low: 1-3
Medium: 5-7
High: 8-10

Low reaction topics may be possible. You’ll have more success restraining yourself from anger. Medium reaction subjects should be diffused or redirected if possible. Don’t keep discussing it. High reaction topics should be stopped immediately.

~bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joined2krist

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

You have got to hand over your emotions to the Holy Spirit and allow Him produce His fruits in your life, one of them is self-control which you need to overcome your anger

Upvote 0