• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Outnumbered, Outgunned

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by numberprophet, Dec 13, 2005.

1. sallystrothers

sallystrothers Well-Known Member

+37
    Christian
    "Knock, and the door shall be opened to you"

What people seek as evidence of God's existance, many forget to include in their search what is inside their very own self.

What I have found in my heart when I was searching for God solidifies His proof beyond any other incredulous aura that may surround Him.

2. benjdm

benjdm Senior Veteran

+121
    Humanist
    US-Others
    Not only are we outgunned and outnumbered, we are apparently least liked:
    http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2005_12_11-2005_12_17.shtml#1134415292

3. Ameriskool

Ameriskool Member

+14
    Agnostic
    wooow
    nice

why must nerds always be so persecuted?
    -cries in the corner-

:p

4. Beastt

Beastt Legend

+973
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    Endocardium, valves and atherosclerosis prove the existence of God?

On a more serious note, my point is this: God is said to have created everything that is physical as well as all that is not physical. As animals, were are able to sense that which is physical in a number of different ways. We know of no situation where the physical is affected that evidence of interaction is not left behind. Yet the claim is that the most powerful and intelligent force ever conceived has left no solid, physical evidence. The story goes that all physical matter arose from that which is not physical at all. It's simply not a credible story. What you "feel", in your "heart" is as poor a line of evidence as humans can conjure. People feel in their heart that their spouse-to-be loves them. Six months later they're being murdered by their spouse for the insurance money. People feel in their heart that God will save them from the impending peril. People die everyday from impending peril. If you found out your heart were weakened to such a point that it would likely give out altogether in the next month, would you seek the assistence of the most powerful entity ever conceived, the assistence of a qualified doctor, or both? And if you would seek both, what is the point of looking for help from a mere human when you have the most powerful entity claimed to exist in all of the universe and beyond working on your side?

5. hordeprime

hordeprime God loves Atheists.

+69
    Atheist
  6. Received

Received True love waits in haunted attics

+732
    Christian
    Married
    Surprisingly, some 61% of those who seldom or never attend church are nevertheless convinced that God exists.

God is a nice little concept to hold when you don't have to think about Him; precisely the paradigmatic solution to all potential worries. He's in heaven, and I don't have to worry now, or later, because that means something positive. But it really means nothing at all.

7. benjdm

benjdm Senior Veteran

+121
    Humanist
    US-Others
    Well, to be fair, I am trying to break out the Pew poll demographically to see what the atheists thought of the theist groups. 'Our' favorable / unfavorable opinion of 'them' may be just as bad.

I'm pretty sure this is the Pew Research poll in question : http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?ReportID=252

Maybe someone else can find more, but the closest I can come is this bit:

"Question: Would you say you have a generally favorable or unfavorable opinion of Islam (... the Muslim religion)?
    Is your overall opinion of Muslim Americans very favorable, mostly favorable, mostly unfavorable, or very unfavorable?

Secular:
    42% favorable opinion of Islam
    29% unfavorable opinion of Islam
    50% favorable opinion of Muslim Americans
    22% unfavorable opinion of Muslim Americans"

8. rosenherman

rosenherman Sparkly rainbow butterfly kitten

+245
    Methodist
    US-Republican
    Nice try. Pity is the emotion to associate with y'all, not hatred. None is so blind as he that will not see.

9. Thirst_For_Knowledge

Thirst_For_Knowledge I Am A New Title

+327
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    You don't need to go to church, to trully follow Christ. The church simply exists so that certain denominations can tell you what their interpretation of the bible is. That doesn't make their interpretation any more right than Joe Shmoe on the street who reads the bible and interprets it his own way.

10. AirPo

AirPo with a Touch of Grey

+7,091
    Atheist
    Married
    Perhaps you're not aware of this. Some people find your pity offensive.

11. rosenherman

+245
    Methodist
    US-Republican
    I'm sorry if you are offended by my response to your situation.

12. AirPo

+7,091
    Atheist
    Married
    Well then I'm sure in the future you'll be more considerate.

13. rosenherman

+245
    Methodist
    US-Republican
    My/our pity remains for your execrable situation, but I'll endeavor to keep from offending your very tender sensibilities by telling you how deeply you and your ilk are pitied.

14. Thirst_For_Knowledge

Thirst_For_Knowledge I Am A New Title

+327
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    Did this get moved to Philosophy? I didn't think I came in here.

Odd.

15. AirPo

+7,091
    Atheist
    Married
    Thank you for your respect.

16. numberprophet

numberprophet Qu'ils mangent de la brioche.

+195
    Pantheist
    Single
    US-Others
    now i know this isn't your first day here....

17. justcallmejamie

justcallmejamie Well-Known Member

+73
    Non-Denom
    Private
    well they were all juicy...better is sort of relative isnt it?

18. justcallmejamie

justcallmejamie Well-Known Member

+73
    Non-Denom
    Private
    ease up

19. Natro

Natro Agnostic Atheist

+93
    Atheist
    I bet that time I invented the complete meal gum was the juiciest. [​IMG]Never could get the desert right.

20. elman

elman elman

+420
    Methodist
    Married
    I don't think you have talked to many people who said they could prove the existence of God. I continue to believe it because it makes sense and because I have seen things that support the idea. I have no burden to prove anything. You continue to believe God does not exist because you believe if you cannot see something it does not exist. You accept that as evidence to support your belief. I use my evidence to support my belief, but neither of us can prove it either way and since neither of us claim to have the proof to prove our belief to be true, neither of us have any burden of proof.