NW England
✟1,050,217.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 8:10 uses “laws” in place of “Torati”.

James says that the royal law is to love our neighbour as ourselves, James 2:8, which is what Jesus taught, Luke 10:27-28.
It does not say "OT hygiene laws".

Jeremiah 31:33 –
You said “many” meaning “not all”?

I said that because I haven't looked up all the feasts or discovered if Jesus has fulfilled them.

Mark 7:19 reads, "Because it enters not into his heart, but into his belly, and goes out into the draught, purging all meats." (KJV) The last three words do not mean all unclean food is now cleansed as deceived translators of modern version would have us believe. Yeshua simply meant that waste food was carried off by the digestive tract. The digestive system was cleansed of whatever was eaten. The word “draught” in the KJV would refer to the toilet bowl in our day.

That's how you interpret it; you don't know what he meant and weren't around to read his thoughts. Jesus was talking to his disciples - different audience - inside the house - different place - on a different subject.

Trimming the beard was lawful.

Leviticus 19:27 says "do NOT clip off the edges of your beard".

• Agree
Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
James says that the royal law is to love our neighbour as ourselves, James 2:8, which is what Jesus taught, Luke 10:27-28.
It does not say "OT hygiene laws".
Now why would you want to keep that Old Covenant law of loving your neighbor (Leviticus 19:18)? Why do you want to live under the Old Covenant? ;)

Let’s read a few passages from James that will help to understand some of Paul’s writings.

James 1:22-25 – “For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: For he beholds himself, and goes his way, and straightway forgets what manner of man he was. But whoso looks into the perfect law of liberty, and continues therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.”

What is the perfect law of liberty? First, Psalm 19 says the Law of YHWH is perfect. It is a perfect law. Secondly, James 2:8-12 tells us what the perfect law of liberty is.

“If you fulfill the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself, you do well: But if you have respect to persons, you commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors. For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if you commit no adultery, yet if you kill, you are become a transgressor of the law. So speak you, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.”
The law of verses 8-11 is the Old Covenant law. In verse 8, James is quoting the second greatest commandment which is actually an Old Covenant commandment found in Leviticus 19:18. In verse 9, the law he is referring to is the Old Covenant law. Verse 10 is often used by those opposed to obeying the Old Covenant laws. They say, “if you break one law you’ve broken them all, so why even try to keep the law?” So verse 10 is also speaking of the Old Covenant law. Of course, verse 11 is quoting two of the Ten Commandments which are also Old Covenant laws. In verse 12, James is saying that people are going to be judged by that same law. So, in order to receive a good judgment, speak and do according to those laws.

Paul said the same thing in Romans 2:12,13;

“For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.”
Not that the law justifies us. We are justified by grace through faith. However, a saving faith will be evidenced by good works, among which include obedience to the law.

Why does James call the Old Covenant law “the law of liberty”? Well, one reason has to do with obedience. When the law is lawfully used, when it is obeyed through the motivation of love without seeking to be justified or saved by it, we walk at liberty. We do not sin by breaking the law. When we do break the law, we come under bondage to sin until we repent and are cleansed and freed by the blood of Yeshua.

That's how you interpret it; you don't know what he meant and weren't around to read his thoughts. Jesus was talking to his disciples - different audience - inside the house - different place - on a different subject.
I don't have to read his thoughts. The text makes the situation perfectly clear.

Leviticus 19:27 says "do NOT clip off the edges of your beard".
The Hebrew word "shachath" translated "clip off" means to destroy. The Hebrew word "peah" translated "edges" means sides or borders (like the "corners of Moab" meaning the borders of Moab - Numbers 24:17). As I understand the command, it means to not destroy the borders of your beard meaning the outline that forms the actual beard (the hair that meets the cheeks, neck, etc.). I don't take "peah" to mean the tips of each hair.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,217.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now why would you want to keep that Old Covenant law of loving your neighbor (Leviticus 19:18)? Why do you want to live under the Old Covenant? ;)

Jesus affirmed, and summed up, the 10 commandments - love the Lord your God and love your neighbour as yourself.
He also gave us a new commandment which was to love as he loved us. If we kill, commit adultery with, steal from or covet anything belonging to, our neighbour, we are not loving as Jesus loved us.

You only have to show me the verse where Jesus says "all Gentiles have to accept me and then live according to the Jewish hygiene laws" - and argument over. I won't hold my breath.

Jesus didn't even address the many other laws such as not touching women, dead bodies or anyone with a skin disease - maybe that was because he did all those things.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Jesus affirmed, and summed up, the 10 commandments - love the Lord your God and love your neighbour as yourself.
He also gave us a new commandment which was to love as he loved us. If we kill, commit adultery with, steal from or covet anything belonging to, our neighbour, we are not loving as Jesus loved us.
But if the Ten and the two greatest commandments are Old Covenant Law, why are you keeping them? And why do you abolish the Sabbath if it is part of the Ten? You are coming against me for saying we should obey the dietary laws by telling me I'm living under the OC. If that is so, then so are you. The fact of the matter is, your argument is absurd.

You only have to show me the verse where Jesus says "all Gentiles have to accept me and then live according to the Jewish hygiene laws" - and argument over. I won't hold my breath.
Matthew 5:17-19.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The new covernant only requires that we love God/Jesus and that we love others in the same self sacrificing way.

That's what you say.

What does Yahshua say?

(CLV) Mk 12:29
Jesus answered him that "The foremost precept of all is: Hear, Israel! the Lord our God is one Lord.

(CLV) Mk 12:30
And, You shall be loving the Lord your God out of your whole heart, and out of your whole soul, and out of your whole comprehension, and out of your whole strength. This is the foremost precept.

"If you love Me, you will keep My commands."

Yahshua was reciting the Shema. Notice that he did not negate any other part of Yahweh's word. It is also notable that the Shema is not part of the Ten Words (Commandments). .....Which leads us to the next statement...

(CLV) Mk 12:31
And the second is like it: `You shall be loving your associate as yourself.' Now greater than these is not other precept."

Notice that Yahshua has still not negated any other part of Yahweh's word. In fact he quoted Leviticus 19:18, again, not the Ten Words (Commandments)

(CLV) Lv 19:18
You shall not avenge nor shall you be resentful »against the sons of your people. You will love your associate as yourself: I am Yahweh.

(CLV) Mk 12:32
And the scribe said to Him, "In truth, Teacher, Thou sayest ideally that He is One, and there is not other more than He.

Scribe agrees; but doesn't negate any other Part of Yahweh's word.

(CLV) Mk 12:33
And to be loving Him out of your whole heart, and out of the whole understanding, and out of the whole soul, and out of the whole strength, and to be loving the associate as yourself, is excessively more than all the ascent approaches and the sacrifices."

Scribe continues to agree with Yahshua that loving Yahweh is what is MOST important; but he still does not negate a single part of Yahweh's word.

(CLV) Mk 12:34
And Jesus, perceiving him, that he answered apprehendingly, said to him, "Not far are you from the kingdom of God." And not one dared to inquire of Him any longer.

Yahshua agrees with the scribe; and he still does not negate a single part of Yahweh's word.

What else does Yahshua have to say concerning Yahweh's word?

(CLV) Mt 5:18
For verily, I am saying to you, Till heaven and earth should be passing by, one iota or one serif may by no means be passing by from the law till all should be occurring.

Now here Yahshua boldly claims that none of Yahweh's word will pass by before heaven and earth pass. That hasn't happened.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's what you say.

What does Yahshua say?

Jesus answered him that "The foremost precept of all is: Hear, Israel! the Lord our God is one Lord.

And, You shall be loving the Lord your God out of your whole heart, and out of your whole soul, and out of your whole comprehension, and out of your whole strength. This is the foremost precept.

Yahshua was reciting the Shema. Notice that he did not negate any other part of Yahweh's word. It is also notable that the Shema is not part of the Ten Words (Commandments). .....Which leads us to the next statement...

And the second is like it: `You shall be loving your associate as yourself.' Now greater than these is not other precept."

Notice that Yahshua has still not negated any other part of Yahweh's word. In fact he quoted Leviticus 19:18, again, not the Ten Words (Commandments)

You shall not avenge nor shall you be resentful »against the sons of your people. You will love your associate as yourself: I am Yahweh.

And the scribe said to Him, "In truth, Teacher, Thou sayest ideally that He is One, and there is not other more than He.

And to be loving Him out of your whole heart, and out of the whole understanding, and out of the whole soul, and out of the whole strength, and to be loving the associate as yourself, is excessively more than all the ascent approaches and the sacrifices."

Scribe continues to agree with Yahshua that loving Yahweh is what is MOST important; but he still does not negate a single part of Yahweh's word.

And Jesus, perceiving him, that he answered apprehendingly, said to him, "Not far are you from the kingdom of God." And not one dared to inquire of Him any longer.

Yahshua agrees with the scribe; and he still does not negate a single part of Yahweh's word.

For verily, I am saying to you, Till heaven and earth should be passing by, one iota or one serif may by no means be passing by from the law till all should be occurring.

Now here Yahshua boldly claims that none of Yahweh's word will pass by before heaven and earth pass. That hasn't happened.

And how is Love God and others in the same way Jesus does somehow a breaking of the law?

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
That's what you say.

What does Yahshua say?

"If you love Me, you will keep My commands."

Jesus wasn’t reciting anything.

Jesus said TWO NEW commandments I give you.

What part of NEW do you understand to be ‘old’.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Jesus wasn’t reciting anything.

Nonsense. You would do well to study your Bible.

Jesus answered him that "The foremost precept of all is: Hear (SHEMA!), Israel! the Lord our God is one Lord.

(CLV) Dt 6:4
Hear (SHEMA!), Israel! Yahweh is our Elohim; Yahweh the only One.

(CLV) Dt 6:5
So you will love Yahweh your Elohim with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your intensity.

(CLV) Dt 6:6
These words which I am instructing you today will come to be in your heart.

NEXT!

You'd also do well to study my posts before you present arguments against them.

You shall not avenge nor shall you be resentful against the sons of your people. You will love your associate as yourself: I am Yahweh.

Jesus said TWO NEW commandments I give you.

Bald assertion fallacy.

Yahshua didn't mention anything about these precepts being new. If care to refute this assertion; you know the drill, book, chapter, verse. I'll be anxiously awaiting your citation.

What part of NEW do you understand to be ‘old’.

Moot point. Your conclusion rest on a faulty premise.

Shabbat Shalom

HARK!

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,217.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But if the Ten and the two greatest commandments are Old Covenant Law, why are you keeping them?

Because they carry over into the New Testament.
Jesus taught us to pray to God, to trust God, to hallow God's name, to put God first, Matthew 6:33, and that we cannot serve two masters, Luke 16:13. That is the first two commandments - love the Lord with all your heart, serve no one else but God and put no one above God.

Jesus taught us to treat others as we would like to be treated, Matthew 13:7, to love our enemies, Matthew 5:44, and if we judge, and fail to forgive, others, God will treat us in the same way, Luke 11:4 and Matthew 7:1-2. He said that anyone who looks at someone lustfully has committed adultery in his heart, and that anyone who calls his brother a fool has committed murder. That is the last 6 commandments - do not take anything belonging to your neighbour; his life, his wife, his donkey or any other possessions; do not even covet them.

And why do you abolish the Sabbath if it is part of the Ten?

Who said anything about abolishing the Sabbath?
God rested after he had finished his work, and gave us a day of rest too; a day to think about, make time for and worship him.

The early church chose to meet together to worship on the 1st day of the week, because that was when Jesus rose again. Worshipping on the first day does not mean that we can't rest on the 7th. But anyway, Jesus said that the Sabbath was created for man, not man for the Sabbath. God gave us a day of rest for OUR benefit; not his. Personally, I try to pray and worship God every day, not just on a Sabbath.

[QUOTE="gadar perets, post: 72025340, member: 387143" You are coming against me for saying we should obey the dietary laws by telling me I'm living under the OC. [/QUOTE]

Dietary laws are not part of the 10 commandments and were not taught by Jesus or the early church. They do not save and are not necessary for salvation and eternal life.
As I said, all you have to do is show me ONE verse, or passage, where Jesus says, "follow me, receive eternal life but make sure you keep obeying the dietary laws". Or "teach all gentiles to keep the dietary and hygiene laws; I forgot to do that, but it's important."
He didn't say that. I've told you what he said about food, but you have another interpretation of those verses. As for hygiene rules, Jesus touched people with skin conditions, a woman who was bleeding and a girl who had died.

As the book of Hebrews says, when Jesus came, he brought in a new covenant, making the Old obsolete. He taught a new way to find forgiveness, become and live as God's Holy people.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Because they carry over into the New Testament.
They carry over simply because they are mentioned in the NT or because they are commanded again in the NT?

Jesus taught us to pray to God, to trust God, to hallow God's name
How do you hallow God's name if you don't use it?

Who said anything about abolishing the Sabbath?
God rested after he had finished his work, and gave us a day of rest too; a day to think about, make time for and worship him.

The early church chose to meet together to worship on the 1st day of the week, because that was when Jesus rose again. Worshipping on the first day does not mean that we can't rest on the 7th. But anyway, Jesus said that the Sabbath was created for man, not man for the Sabbath. God gave us a day of rest for OUR benefit; not his. Personally, I try to pray and worship God every day, not just on a Sabbath.
We are free to pray and worship 7 days a week, but we are NOT free to work on the 7th day. The early church, before corruption set in, was keeping the 7th day, not the first. There is no command from the Father, Son or any apostle to change the Sabbath to Sunday or to abolish it altogether as many Christian churches teach.

Dietary laws are not part of the 10 commandments and were not taught by Jesus or the early church. They do not save and are not necessary for salvation and eternal life.
So you only obey YHWH when your life depends on it?

As I said, all you have to do is show me ONE verse, or passage, where Jesus says, "follow me, receive eternal life but make sure you keep obeying the dietary laws". Or "teach all gentiles to keep the dietary and hygiene laws; I forgot to do that, but it's important."
I answered this in post #44. Matthew 5:17-19 includes the dietary and hygiene laws. They have not been fulfilled, nor has heaven and earth passed away.

As for hygiene rules, Jesus touched people with skin conditions, a woman who was bleeding and a girl who had died.
Yeshua did those things while living under the Old Covenant. Since he remained sinless, touching those people was not a sin even under the OC. It simply rendered him unclean for a time, during which he could not go to the Temple.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,217.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They carry over simply because they are mentioned in the NT or because they are commanded again in the NT?

I told you; Jesus taught us to love God, to worship him, trust him put him first etc.
He not only affirmed the 10 commandments, he lived them and taught us to do the same.

None of the 10 commandments have anything at all to do with food or the food laws. Why not; if they were so important?
Jesus did not teach his followers, whether Jew or Gentile, that they had to keep the food laws.

How do you hallow God's name if you don't use it?

Christians bear the name of Christ, and have Christ IN us.
We honour God by honouring, believing and receiving the One he sent, John 6:40. Jesus often said that very thing; whoever had seen him, had seen God and whoever welcomed him welcomed the one who sent him.

We are free to pray and worship 7 days a week, but we are NOT free to work on the 7th day.

So sitting around doing nothing on a Saturday is honouring to God? Great; that's pretty much what I do anyway. I don't agree with you, but you can be reassured that I'm doing what you say I should do.

So you only obey YHWH when your life depends on it?

Of course not.
But he hasn't told, far less commanded, me not to eat pork, or to throw out all my clothes and buy new ones that are made from only one fabric. I was brought up in the west, went to church, learnt about Jesus and became a Christian. Neither God, nor any clergyman or theologian in the past half century has told me to obey the laws that were given to the Israelites at Sinai. Only a few people on these forums seem to think that that is necessary.

I answered this in post #44. Matthew 5:17-19 includes the dietary and hygiene laws. They have not been fulfilled, nor has heaven and earth passed away.

It is your interpretation that this passage includes dietary laws.
Jesus was speaking to Jews. He said that until heaven and earth pass away, not one detail shall disappear from the law. No, quite right; it won't. That doesn't say, or prove, that Gentiles have to keep that law. It is still in force for those who live under, and abide by, the Jewish law. But, as a Gentile, Western, Christian woman; that's not me.
I am in Christ, who is the perfect Jew; the fulfillment of the law.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I told you; Jesus taught us to love God, to worship him, trust him put him first etc.
He not only affirmed the 10 commandments, he lived them and taught us to do the same.
Yeshua lived and taught EVERY law found in Torah. That is why he was sinless; because he OBEYED them all including the dietary laws. He did not obey them all so that you would be free to disobey them all.

None of the 10 commandments have anything at all to do with food or the food laws. Why not; if they were so important?
Jesus did not teach his followers, whether Jew or Gentile, that they had to keep the food laws.
Matthew 5:19 - Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.​

Are you a teacher of them or a breaker of them?

Christians bear the name of Christ, and have Christ IN us.
We honour God by honouring, believing and receiving the One he sent, John 6:40. Jesus often said that very thing; whoever had seen him, had seen God and whoever welcomed him welcomed the one who sent him.
Yes, that is one way we honor Him, but that is different from "hallowing" (sanctify/set apart as Holy) His name.

So sitting around doing nothing on a Saturday is honouring to God? Great; that's pretty much what I do anyway. I don't agree with you, but you can be reassured that I'm doing what you say I should do.
See how you love to put words in my mouth? Again, you should be ashamed of yourself. Please address my words without twisting them to make me look like an idiot. However, its not that I didn't expect such treatment. When someone has no defense against their false teachings, they attack the messenger instead of addressing the message. You have such a false view of what keeping the Sabbath holy is. Your view stems from spiritual pride.

I was brought up in the west, went to church, learnt about Jesus and became a Christian. Neither God, nor any clergyman or theologian in the past half century has told me to obey the laws that were given to the Israelites at Sinai. Only a few people on these forums seem to think that that is necessary.
Thus is the state of the Christian church today. The same "church" that allows gay ministers/preachers/teachers leading our children. I can just hear a Jew in Yeshua's day telling Yeshua, "I'm a Jew. Neither God, nor any Rabbi over the past half century has ever told me that the Messiah would come out of Galilee or that I don't have to wash my hands before I eat or that I could heal a man on the Sabbath day." As if that makes Messiah's words false.

It is your interpretation that this passage includes dietary laws.
I doubt you will find a Christian teacher anywhere that does not believe the dietary laws are part of the "law" mention in Matthew 5:17-18.

Jesus was speaking to Jews. He said that until heaven and earth pass away, not one detail shall disappear from the law. No, quite right; it won't. That doesn't say, or prove, that Gentiles have to keep that law. It is still in force for those who live under, and abide by, the Jewish law. But, as a Gentile, Western, Christian woman; that's not me.
I am in Christ, who is the perfect Jew; the fulfillment of the law.
Yeshua was not yet dealing with Gentiles. He eventually sent Paul to teach them basically the same thing.

Romans 3:31 - "Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid; Yea, we establish the law."​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,217.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeshua lived and taught EVERY law found in Torah. That is why he was sinless; because he OBEYED them all including the dietary laws. He did not obey them all so that you would be free to disobey them all.

He did not teach us that we have to obey them.
Nowhere does he say "come to me for eternal life and then go away and follow all the Jewish food laws." When he spoke to his disciples before his ascension he told them to go into the world and teach, baptise and make disciples; not, "tell them they have to obey all the Jewish law."

Matthew 5:19 - Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.​

He was talking to Jews. If they rejected him, believed they were under the law and would be saved by the law, they had to keep ALL of it. James says the same thing; that if someone breaks even one law, they have broken all of it, James 2:10.
Paul, Peter and others taught against those who taught that Gentiles had to be circumcised either before, or after, they were saved. Circumcision doesn't save, food laws don't save and the kingdom of heaven is about more than eating and drinking.

See how you love to put words in my mouth?

I wasn't.
You said that we are not free to work on the Sabbath. Sabbath = seventh day of the week = Saturday. I was asking you a question - hence the question mark. If you don't believe that I should work on Saturday, how is refraining from work; sitting around, relaxing, honouring God?
And as I don't work, refraining from work is not a problem.

Again, you should be ashamed of yourself. Please address my words without twisting them to make me look like an idiot. However, its not that I didn't expect such treatment. When someone has no defense against their false teachings, they attack the messenger instead of addressing the message. You have such a false view of what keeping the Sabbath holy is. Your view stems from spiritual pride.

Ok, so in this thread you have accused me of distorting Scripture for my own ends, putting forward false teachings, holding a false view and being spiritually proud - which is being judgemental and flaming another forum user.

I'm not doing this any longer. If keeping the Jewish food laws are important to you, go for it; they won't do you any harm.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, it is time to cease a dialogue with you on this subject.

For anyone else, if you have any other refutation to obeying the dietary laws other than "Jesus did not teach us to obey them", feel free to post it.

Upvote 0