Visit site
✟83,698.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Often it is. The LORD (YHWH) as the father is mentioned many times in the Old Testament.

Deuteronomy 14:
1a You are the children of the LORD your God.

NIV Deuteronomy 32:
6 Is this the way you repay the LORD, you foolish and unwise people? Is he not your Father, your Creator, who made you and formed you?

Psalm 103:
13 As a father has compassion on his children,
so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him.

Isaiah 63:
16 “But you are our Father, though Abraham does not know us or Israel acknowledge us; you, LORD, are our Father, our Redeemer from of old is your name.”
The above OT verses depict YHWH as a father.

Now, Isaiah 42:
8a I am the LORD, that is My name; And My glory I will not give to another.

But then, Jesus claimed to have this glory before the world existed in John 17:
5 And now, O Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was.

The above two verses can be harmonized by Jesus' proclamation in John 10:
30 I and the Father are one.

These are strong indications that OT LORD (YHWH) is the NT Father.

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Often it is. The LORD (YHWH) as the father is mentioned many times in the Old Testament.

Deuteronomy 14:

NIV Deuteronomy 32:

Psalm 103:

Isaiah 63:

Now, Isaiah 42:

Why would any Christian think otherwise.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Deuteronomy 14:

NIV Deuteronomy 32:

Psalm 103:

Isaiah 63:

Now, Isaiah 42:

The Father and Son are one in principle and character ... that's why Jesus says .... He who has seen me has seen the Father.

Jesus is creator ... everything made by Him and subject to Him ... and He always pleases the Father. God the Father entrusts everything to Jesus.... they are in complete harmony with one another in principle and character ... always have been and always will be.

There is no reason for other than Jesus to interact with anything ... He is trusted completely and fully by the Father ... this relationship is never changing ... it has always been ... and will always be.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,698.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Father and Son are one in principle and character ... that's why Jesus says .... He who has seen me has seen the Father.

Jesus is creator ... everything made by Him and subject to Him ... and He always pleases the Father. God the Father entrusts everything to Jesus.... they are in complete harmony with one another in principle and character ... always have been and always will be.

There is no reason for other than Jesus to interact with anything ... He is trusted completely and fully by the Father ... this relationship is never changing ... it has always been ... and will always be.
Thanks for sharing.

So OT YHWH = NT Father?

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,321.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Well, almost. YHWH is the one trinitarian God; The Father is YHWH, the Son is YHWH, the Holy Spirit is YHWH. So, we can rightly say that Jesus Christ is YHWH in flesh. This is particularly clear in John 1, where it reads concerning Christ, the Word:

John 1:1-3: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him was not any thing made that was made.”

John 1:14: “And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen His glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.”

Now, let's remember the great Shema, Deuteronomy 6:4: "Hear, O Israel: YHWH our God, YHWH is one."

So, God is one, and the one God is YHWH.

With this in mind, Joel 2:32 reads: "And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls on the name of the LORD (YHWH) shall be saved." Paul references this verse and applies the word “LORD (YHWH)” to Christ in Romans 10:9-13. So the way Paul uses "Lord" is not a generic "lord" or "master", but "YHWH" or "GOD".

Paul spoke both Hebrew and Greek (Acts 21-22) — perhaps Aramaic and some Latin too. He wrote his epistles in Greek and would have been familiar with both the Hebrew and Greek OT. In the LXX (the Greek OT) "Kyrios" is used in place of YHWH. So, when Paul referenced Joel 2:32 and applies this "Kyrios" to Jesus, which is the Greek translation of the Hebrew YHWH (which he undoubtedly knew), he is calling Jesus YHWH. In short, although it's not immediately clear in English, he explicitly identifies Jesus as God in flesh in Romans 10:9-13. And this is also very clear from Colossians 2:9, where it’s written concerning Christ that “in Him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily”.

As Christians, it’s certainly good and appropriate to call on the name of YHWH. However, it’s good to appreciate that God has given us a new Holy name, namely, Jesus Christ.

God bless!

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for sharing.

So OT YHWH = NT Father?
Everything goes through Jesus.

God has many names .... His names (the names used) are descriptive of His character
Abba, Adonai, El Elyon, El Olam, El Roi. El Shaddai. Elohim, Yahweh

The Father and the Son are one in character and the same in divine nature and therefore share the same descriptive names.

The qualities and powers exhibited in the Son and the Holy Spirit are also those of the Father. (Gen. 1:1; Deut. 4:35; Ps. 110:1, 4; John 3:16; 14:9; 1 Cor. 15:28; 1 Tim. 1:17; 1 John 4:8; Rev. 4:11.)

God the Father is our Father through Jesus .... through Jesus we become Gods children.

The teaching of Scripture is that Jesus is indeed Yahweh, the I AM, the God of the Old Testament.

This was a very big issue with the Israeli clergy of the day .... Jesus claimed to be God (I am) and they considered it blasphemy.

It certainly was not blasphemy.

1 Corinthians 8:6 – “Yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom all things are and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are and through whom we exist.”

They are equal in divine nature as the above verses states ... same divine character for both.

Is Jesus God? YES ... Is Jesus Yahweh? YES, both having all divine attributes completely.

John 8:58 ESV​

Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.”

John 10:30 ESV

I and the Father are one.”

John 20:28 ESV

Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!”

So, Jesus states He is I AM (God in the OT) .... are we not to believe it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Are you using the word "therefore" in the First-Order Logical sense?
therefore mean ... for that reason .... what is the reason? The Father and the Son are one in character and the same in divine nature

Logic is God thinking. Christ himself is represented as wisdom, logic, or right thinking. In the beginning was the Logos, and the Logos was with God, and the Logos was God. Jn. 1:1.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Yes, YHWH is the Father. And the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

One God, Holy Trinity.

"Sh'ma Yisrael YHWH Eloheinu, YHWH echad"
"Hear O Israel, YHWH our God, YHWH is one" - Deuteronomy 6:4

"We worship one God in Unity, and Unity in Trinity, neither confusing the Persons nor dividing the Substance" - The Athanasian Creed

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, almost. YHWH is the one trinitarian God; The Father is YHWH, the Son is YHWH, the Holy Spirit is YHWH. So, we can rightly say that Jesus Christ is YHWH in flesh. This is particularly clear in John 1, where it reads concerning Christ, the Word:

John 1:1-3: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him was not any thing made that was made.”

John 1:14: “And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen His glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.”

Now, let's remember the great Shema, Deuteronomy 6:4: "Hear, O Israel: YHWH our God, YHWH is one."

So, God is one, and the one God is YHWH.

With this in mind, Joel 2:32 reads: "And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls on the name of the LORD (YHWH) shall be saved." Paul references this verse and applies the word “LORD (YHWH)” to Christ in Romans 10:9-13. So the way Paul uses "Lord" is not a generic "lord" or "master", but "YHWH" or "GOD".

Paul spoke both Hebrew and Greek (Acts 21-22) — perhaps Aramaic and some Latin too. He wrote his epistles in Greek and would have been familiar with both the Hebrew and Greek OT. In the LXX (the Greek OT) "Kyrios" is used in place of YHWH. So, when Paul referenced Joel 2:32 and applies this "Kyrios" to Jesus, which is the Greek translation of the Hebrew YHWH (which he undoubtedly knew), he is calling Jesus YHWH. In short, although it's not immediately clear in English, he explicitly identifies Jesus as God in flesh in Romans 10:9-13. And this is also very clear from Colossians 2:9, where it’s written concerning Christ that “in Him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily”.

As Christians, it’s certainly good and appropriate to call on the name of YHWH. However, it’s good to appreciate that God has given us a new Holy name, namely, Jesus Christ.

God bless!
Which makes Rom10:9 that if you confess with your mouth the LORD Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Rom. 10:9 NKJ) quite a profound verse, especially to a Judean at the time, let alone now. And it's not just the LORD Jesus that's stated that is profound, but also the death & resurrection and who resurrected Him.

Nice work. Thank you.

Reactions: Daniel9v9
Upvote 0