Visit site
✟435,670.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Here's a relevant question that might help. I've had an iPad and iPod for awhile now. The iPad caused me to discover how tightly Apple controls it, and hiw they DON'T want you putting your stuff on it, only their stuff.

So the question is, how stuck are you with Samsung and HTC? I mean, especially regarding your own files (I have tons of docs - GKC, Lewis, Belloc, Charles Williams, etc), songs and what-not. And are there as many apps as Apple?

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,670.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Day 2 of my new iphone 4s, and I'm lovin' it. I don't care about the lack of 4g where I am, this thing is superfast. Plus, siri makes it all that much more amazing.

My iPad was fast at first, but over time it slowed down.

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Here's a relevant question that might help. I've had an iPad and iPod for awhile now. The iPad caused me to discover how tightly Apple controls it, and hiw they DON'T want you putting your stuff on it, only their stuff.

So the question is, how stuck are you with Samsung and HTC? I mean, especially regarding your own files (I have tons of docs - GKC, Lewis, Belloc, Charles Williams, etc), songs and what-not. And are there as many apps as Apple?
This highlights the difference between Android and iPhone. Android is built to be open and accessible. Apple products are built to be closed and restrictive.

If you are easily enchanted by shiny things though, the Apple is just fine. :p They are highly functional, and well made. Don't take my teasing too seriously.

Take a look the batteries of the two phones... Well, you can't look at the iPhone battery, can you? They aren't replaceable by end user. With Androids, you just buy a new battery, and pop it in. You can even have backup batteries, for trips, if you like. With the iPhone, you have to take it to a shop to have the battery replaced, and it isn't cheap. Under warranty, it's free if the battery capacity drops below 50%. That's all fine and good, if you don't mind not having the ability to so such a simple task on your own.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dan, your sentiments have pretty much been mine. Everyone I know who has an I-Phone is usually a hardcore Mac fan. I have always been a PC guy so I think android is more my style. But I also have considered all you said and you only re-affirmed my thinking. I appreciate it.

Kate and I bought an HTC 1 X today. 4G. Super fast, really user friendly (contrary to what so many say, I Phones are not the only user-friendlies out there)...

We got them both for $156 after trading in our old Blackberry Torches...not bad

htc-one-x.jpg

Upvote 0

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟23,127.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Enjoy your new phone! :D

Rus: If you want to get documents onto your iPad/iPhone, there are ways to do that - kindle and ibooks will both take pdfs, or you can convert documents to epub which both those apps can read too. I use kindle 90% of the time

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi All,

That two-year contract is up, and it's time to upgrade from my beloved Blackberry Torch....two years later and my baby is already outdated....

Kate and I are looking at either I-Phone 4s or a Samsung Galaxy II....

What do you guys think? Any Orthodox smartphone input you can give me?

I'm a huge Apple fan, I always have been, so my response will be biased. I will note as objectively as possible that my wife has had an HTC incredible for almost two years and has replaced it three times. I've had my iPhone 4 the same amount of time and have had zero problems whatsoever with it.

In fact, I'm passing it along to her when my iPhone 5 comes in on October 26.

There are a lot of people who prefer Android over iOS or Blackberry OS either because they're programmers and enjoy the amount of flexibility that Android offers or simply because they dislike Apple for one reason or another.

I would highly recommend an iPhone though, whether you go for the 4S or the 5, they're quality products that you can feel when you hold them. In addition to that iOS is an excellent mobile operating system second in security only to Blackberry OS. I really can't complain about the features or build quality of my iPhone. I don't have a case or insurance on it because I treat my things (especially my Apple things) as if they were faberge eggs but there have been 1-2 accidents in the last couple of years but neither of them have inflicted damage of any measure on the phone.

I will admit though, the Galaxy S III is a very attractive phone, two of my co-workers have it and I have to say that if Verizon didn't carry the iPhone I definitely would've gotten the S III.

My vote goes to the iPhone though, just because you can see the quality that they put into each unit, the materials are the best and the operating system is top notch. :cool:

EDIT: Bollocks, I just realized I'm late... gah I have to stop posting just after reading the OP. Oh well, let us know how you like the One X!

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,670.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Rus: If you want to get documents onto your iPad/iPhone, there are ways to do that - kindle and ibooks will both take pdfs, or you can convert documents to epub which both those apps can read too. I use kindle 90% of the time

Thanks, Kyriaki.
Yes, I know about PDFs and that docs can be converted. The main problem, I think, is doing them one-by-one on hundreds of documents, when I just want to throw folders that are extensively organized onto the reader.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I missed the joke?

Upvote 0

Blonde

Oct 30, 2007
✟15,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey Gurney, hope you are liking your new phone.

We are doing the same debate - although after watching a few youtube videos about Siri (IP5) vs. SVoice (GSIII) the decision is pretty clear. The SVoice doesn't compete at all. Siri is way smarter. I think I might make her voice British if I can, LOL!

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All the customers and cellular employees at Target, where I got my HTC phone, were telling me that Siri really ATE UP their data FAST! So watch out there! But, I've heard she'll do your dishes for you and mow the lawn so there are advantages....I'm hoping that we can eventually have Siri take over the parenting for some of the deadbeat moms and dads at my school! ^_^

Hey Gurney, hope you are liking your new phone.

We are doing the same debate - although after watching a few youtube videos about Siri (IP5) vs. SVoice (GSIII) the decision is pretty clear. The SVoice doesn't compete at all. Siri is way smarter. I think I might make her voice British if I can, LOL!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
All the customers and cellular employees at Target, where I got my HTC phone, were telling me that Siri really ATE UP their data FAST! So watch out there! But, I've heard she'll do your dishes for you and mow the lawn so there are advantages....I'm hoping that we can eventually have Siri take over the parenting for some of the deadbeat moms and dads at my school! ^_^

That's probably true... that's something I should keep an eye on when my iPhone 5 comes in (since VZW didn't grandfather my unlimited data :( ). I don't know about other carriers, but I know VZW has an app called "My Verizon" where you can monitor all of your usage information and set up alerts—which I plan to do so I don't go over my limit.

Upvote 0

John Constantine

Evangelical Orthodox Catholic
Oct 6, 2012
✟7,673.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Thanks, Kyriaki.
Yes, I know about PDFs and that docs can be converted. The main problem, I think, is doing them one-by-one on hundreds of documents, when I just want to throw folders that are extensively organized onto the reader.

If you have Adobe Pro you can do a batch conversion for all files in a folder, without having to do it one by one. Please feel free to let me know if this would be an option for you.

Peace.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some of my friends, when I told them I bought the droid, acted like I quit pulling for the Giants and became a Dodgers fan or something....something unthinkably awful! LOL...All my friends are I-Phone Apple people.....

I have a weird gene in me that HATES the crowd, hates the general trends and hipster collective cool "everybody is doing it, man!" stuff. All my friends for years were Ford or Chevy guys. I bought Dodge! LOL....My friends were all raging liberals or hardcore conservatives, I voted independent and for either party. Many folks I know are DC and hate Marvel or Marvel and hate DC, I like both. Everyone I know is a meat-eater, I'm a vegetarian. All my Mac-obsessed friends, and I liked PC's. Most people I know are dog people, I'm cat. Catholic? Protestant? I'm Orthodox, by choice....I'm just a guy that bucks the trends. I HAD to not buy an I-Phone! Everyone loves 'em! LOL^_^

Gurney - no joke, just a big smile. I have a droid and love it despite being an apple person in every other device :)

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Some of my friends, when I told them I bought the droid, acted like I quit pulling for the Giants and became a Dodgers fan or something....something unthinkably awful! LOL...All my friends are I-Phone Apple people.....

I have a weird gene in me that HATES the crowd, hates the general trends and hipster collective cool "everybody is doing it, man!" stuff. All my friends for years were Ford or Chevy guys. I bought Dodge! LOL....My friends were all raging liberals or hardcore conservatives, I voted independent and for either party. Many folks I know are DC and hate Marvel or Marvel and hate DC, I like both. Everyone I know is a meat-eater, I'm a vegetarian. All my Mac-obsessed friends, and I liked PC's. Most people I know are dog people, I'm cat. Catholic? Protestant? I'm Orthodox, by choice....I'm just a guy that bucks the trends. I HAD to not buy an I-Phone! Everyone loves 'em! LOL^_^

I tend to be the same way with most stuff except Apple, since compared to my friends I consider myself an "OG Apple Fan" cause I've been using their products since 1989 and my dad since the early 80's. It's in my blood to prefer Apple stuff whether it's a Mac, iPod, iPhone or iPad. :D

Upvote 0