Visit site
✟32,051.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Being in a traditionally orthodox country, I am very impressed by the ones which struggle for Christ on the right path more or less alone - without having a society to help them in their pursuit for the Kingdom of Heavens.

That's why I tried to gather some resources specially targeted at them - you can read the post here.

Praying for you all!

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Looks good, although I still wonder what "thoughts" are that we are not to listen to.

I think he is telling us to remain watchful just as St. Hesychios tells us in the Philokalia.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think he is telling us to remain watchful just as St. Hesychios tells us in the Philokalia.
Fair, but I could use a little specification. All these materials warn again "thoughts" as a category, but thoughts like "Oh, I should confess this!" are not a problem...as I assume "Oh I need to remember to turn off the burner" is not...

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think being vigilant of sinful thoughts relates to what the Lord preaches in Matthew 5. What St. Paul preaches in Philippians 3 seems like the commitment aspect these ascetic efforts relate to.

I do not claim any high ground in my post because I have much to answer for.

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Fair, but I could use a little specification. All these materials warn again "thoughts" as a category, but thoughts like "Oh, I should confess this!" are not a problem...as I assume "Oh I need to remember to turn off the burner" is not...

I agree that "normal" thoughts are not an issue.

I can only advise checking the Philokalia Vol 1 - St. Hesychios - On Watchfullness and Holiness. It explains it much clearer than I could ever hope to.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I agree that "normal" thoughts are not an issue.

I can only advise checking the Philokalia Vol 1 - St. Hesychios - On Watchfullness and Holiness. It explains it much clearer than I could ever hope to.
Will do, thanks for redirecting me away from an ambiguity I could get hung up on...

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Will do, thanks for redirecting me away from an ambiguity I could get hung up on...

You're welcome.

I'd also just like to say that Lukaris made a great post by pointing to Holy Scripture as that's undoubtedly what the writers of the Philokalia are expanding upon.

Upvote 0

JohnTh

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
✟32,051.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
To everyone - about the watchfulness (from Philokalia), some very, very clear and useful links are the following ones (if someone have questions I am eager to answer, God willing):

Link #1
Link #2

With regards to:
All these materials warn again "thoughts" as a category, but thoughts like "Oh, I should confess this!" are not a problem...as I assume "Oh I need to remember to turn off the burner" is not...

Saint Paisios gives a wonderful example on how to choose.

Besides that, Saint Barsanouphios solves the problem in a marvelous way (adapted):

When you are in a skyscraper at 100th floor and someone is passing on the street and he is swearing against you, you will ignore him.

If that person will enter in the skyscraper and continues to swear but he just remains at the fist floor, you will still ignore him but keep an eye on the problem.

If that person will come at your floor but he doesn't know where you live and he is just wandering around swearing you, you will be attentive at what is happening but you will still remain silent.

However if that one person starts to hit the door of your conscience continuously swearing you, well then you will call the spiritual police, that is you will confess it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Confession by phone or e-mail? I guess if that's the only possible way?

you can do confession over the phone, but you can't receive absolution over the phone.

• Informative
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

Coolbutclueless

Jul 9, 2019
United States
✟26,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I appreciate this post. Living in America I have greatly struggled with being orthodox. We are few and far between, sometimes traveling a significant distance to get to church. Building community is hard enough in our society but add in all the distance and pulls against the faith it is very hard to keep the path.

Upvote 0

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
you can do confession over the phone, but you can't receive absolution over the phone.

Reminds me of the first episode of Ballykissangel... A confessional arrived for the local church, with electric doors, air conditioning (I think), and a built in fax machine! LOL
(Yes, for the culturally deprived, it was a BBC North Ireland comedy series)

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Reminds me of the first episode of Ballykissangel... A confessional arrived for the local church, with electric doors, air conditioning (I think), and a built in fax machine! LOL
(Yes, for the culturally deprived, it was a BBC North Ireland comedy series)

haha, sounds about right.

Upvote 0