truthseeker32

Lost in the Cosmos
Nov 30, 2010
✟16,510.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Most Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox Christians I have talked to seem to see it as myth containing truth (i.e. god created the earth, but not necessarily in 7-24 hour days, The flood didn't cover the whole globe, etc.) I personally don't take it literally, especially the pre- Abraham bits.

Upvote 0

cobweb

Cranky octogenarian at heart
Jan 12, 2006
Georgia, USA
✟20,938.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It can be read either way and I personally know devout Orthodox who believe young earth creation and others just as devout (including clergy) who believe theistic evolution.

My husband's godfather is an anthropologist. He does a very nice seminar on science and Orthodoxy.

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It can be read either way and I personally know devout Orthodox who believe young earth creation and others just as devout (including clergy) who believe theistic evolution.

My husband's godfather is an anthropologist. He does a very nice seminar on science and Orthodoxy.

Tthe late Fr Seraphim Rose said this about Genesis

"Some Protestant fundamentalists tell us it is all (or virtually all) 'literal.” But such a view places us in some impossible difficulties: quite apart form our literal or non-literal interpretation of various passages, the very nature of the reality which is described in the first chapters of genesis the very creation of all things) makes it quite impossible for everything to be understood 'literally'; we don't even have words, for example, to describe 'literally' how something can come from nothing. How does God “speak”? - does He make a noise which resounds in an atmosphere that doesn't yet exist?”

Fr Seraphim Rose, (2000) Genesis Creation and Early Man: The Orthodox Christian Vision, (Saint Herman of Alaska Brotherhood; Platina, CA), p69.

He says that we should just believe, even if we don't understand

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
if you really want to know how the Church has historically interpreted Genesis, then you should really order Fr. Seraphim's book "Genesis, Creation, and Early Man" at Genesis, Creation and Early Man (Second Edition). It is by far the most in-depth and honest look at the issue from an Orthodox POV, and includes Fathers and Saints all the way from Scripture through the 20th centuries. People today will give you all kinds of opinions about this, but Fr. Seraphim and Fr. Damascene simply allow the Saints to speak.

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
St. Basil gives some sound wisdom on how to understand Genesis, which I have found all the Church Fathers to follow:

Hexameron 9:1
Those who do not admit the common meaning of the Scriptures say that water is not water, but some other nature, and they explain a plant and a fish according to their opinion.... (But) when I hear "grass," I think of grass, and in the same manner I understand everything as it is said, a plant, a fish, a wild animal, and an ox. Indeed, "I am not ashamed of the Gospel (Rom. 1:16)."... (Some) have attempted by false arguments and allegorical interpretations to bestow on the Scripture a dignity of their own imagining. But theirs is the attitude of one who considers himself wiser than the revelations of the Spirit and introduces his own ideas in pretense of an explanation. Therefore, let it be understood as it has been written.
similarly, St. John Chrysostom states:

Homilies on Genesis 13:4
Perhaps one who loves to speak from his own wisdom here also will not allow that the rivers are actually rivers, nor that the waters are precisely waters, but will instill, in those who allow themselves to listen to them, the idea that they (under the names of rivers and waters) represented something else. But I entreat you, let us not pay heed to these people, let us stop up our hearing against them, and let us believe the Divine Scripture, and following what is written in it, let us strive to preserve in our souls sound dogmas.
and St. Augustine says:

On Genesis: The Refutation of the Manichees 2.3
So then, this whole text must first be discussed in terms of history, and then in terms of prophecy. In terms of history deeds and events are being related, in terms of prophecy future events are being foretold.One should not look with a jaundiced eye, to be sure, on anyone who wants to take everything that is said here absolutely literally, and who can avoid blasphemy in doing so, and present everything as in accordance with Catholic faith; on the contrary one should hold up such a person as an outstanding and holy admirable understander of the text

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
The Saints who wrote on the Creation event commented on the Holy Sctiptures, and not on any secular science. When I approach the Holy Scriptures, I submit my understanding to those Holy and God-Bearing Fathers. I understand that this makes me a fool in the eyes of the modernists; the scientists. I accept this.

Indeed, there are Orthodox who believe in evolution... I believe they are sincere, but sincerely wrong. Still, I can't judge them; to their own Master they stand or fall, and God is able to make them stand (cf Romans 14:4).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Dec 6, 2009
✟8,005.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Interesting. I was expecting EO beliefs about evolution to be similar to RC beliefs.

There is a considerable amount of variety. Broadly, I fall in theistic evolution camp, as do my priests and bishop. That said, that doesn't mean I don't understand Genesis literally in many cases in a variety of ways.

There is also a creationist presence among the traditional Catholics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2009
Sydney
✟16,052.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
I believe it as it is written and try not to question it. If God intended it to be metaphorical then He will advise me should I reach heaven, if it is meant to be literal then He will advise me should I reach heaven.

The Assyrian Church is unwavering in it's dogma concerning creation, this may seem quite stubborn but we tend not to compromise our faith, not for anyone or anything.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2009
✟8,005.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
The Assyrian Church is unwavering in it's dogma concerning creation, this may seem quite stubborn but we tend not to compromise our faith, not for anyone or anything.

Would you mind elaborating what you mean by "dogma concerning creation"?

Upvote 0