Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It has become very clear to me that there is a great deal of confusion in this section of CF as to what Orthodoxy, aka the Eastern Orthodox Church, teaches and exactly what it is.

Love dictates that we Orthodox tell you the truth about us, about our church, about our beliefs.

There are LDS people on this site who have claimed that their church, the LDS church is “true” Orthodoxy and that it is the “Restoration” of the Original Church, founded by Christ, and the Apostles after 33AD. We Orthodox are here to tell you that the Church founded by Jesus Christ in 33AD, through the authority of His Chosen Apostles, has not gone anywhere, has not been “removed from the Earth”, nor has it ever fallen into some sort of “apostasy”. The history of the Eastern Orthodox Church is clearly defined, and it is supported by Catholic historians and scholars, Protestant historians and scholars, and also secular historians and scholars. Orthodox cities and churches of vast historical significance, can be located and visited! J Orthodox teaching and true, unbroken, Apostolic succession can be objectively and thoroughly verified.

To my fellow posters: If you are Catholic or Protestant, please do not debate what we are saying here. We have a duty here, to tell the LDS people, the truth and any differences between our Church and yours are a different discussion altogether. For the purposes of this site, we need to stand unified in this particular matter. What we are saying here, in this context, is not directed at you. The whole history of Christianity holds many implications for all of us, Orthodox and non-Orthodox alike. Each must weigh it in his/her own conscience and faith, but let no one say that the LDS Church is the “restoration” of Christ’s church. In this matter, let us, Orthodox, Catholic and Protestant, agree on this:

Canon VII of the Third Ecumenical Council

"Let no one be permitted to bring forward, or write or compose a different faith besides that defined by the holy Fathers who assembled with the Holy Spirit in the city of Nicaea. And whoever dares to compose a different faith, or present, or offer [one] to those wishing to turn to the knowledge of the truth…let such, if they be bishops or belong to the clergy, be alien bishops from the episcopate, and clerics from the clergy--and if they be laymen, let them be given over to anathema."

Anathema is how Orthodoxy has preserved it’s Apostolic succession and teaching from the earliest times of the Church. The Church is a “hospital” for those that are spiritually sick and heresy is viewed as a spiritual sickness. Those that are within the Church must be protected against false teaching which leads us into spiritual error, and then, spiritual sickness. We believe that our salvation is at stake!

Orthodoxy is Christ’s church and has existed since the beginning of Christianity. Acts 11
25 Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul:
26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
27 And in these days came prophets from Jerusalem unto Antioch.

Jesus said:

Matthew 16

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

History places Peter as the Bishop of Rome, First among Equals. There were many (and still are) other Bishops who held equal power in the Church to direct it under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. This Apostolic succession of the Priesthood has continued today, unbroken through the Ordination of the Church and through the laying on of hands. Every Orthodox priest living today, can trace his spiritual authority directly back to the Apostles. The Roman Catholic Church, although no longer in communion with us, also can trace their spiritual authority back to Peter.

For the LDS to claim that we no longer exist, or that we need a “Restoration” is simply untrue. And I believe it is only because Orthodoxy is relatively “new” to the West, only a few hundred years in America. It has been called “America’s Best Kept Secret”. The Orthodox do not engage in the same evangelical style of missions and so this is another reason why many have never even heard of us.

(Its also quite rare for us to engage in debates or discussions outside of our own forum here at CF! LOL! The Ancient Way is our forum if you would like to “Come, and see!” J You may not debate there, according to forum rules, but you’re certainly welcome to look around and read all the threads and send me a pm with any questions.)

Although Orthodox Christianity itself prevents us Orthodox from “ecumenism” with other faiths, and traditions, we certainly do care about you and this does not mean we cannot be friends on an individual level. We simply cannot and are forbidden to compromise on what we believe and hold to be true.

We believe in the Nicene Creed. We believe in the infallibility of the Holy Bible. We believe that Holy Tradition is based upon the Bible and must never depart or be separated from it.

The Orthodox Church has a very wise saying: “We know where the Church is, but we do not know where it is not”. This means that we do not speculate about where the Holy Spirit is or is not. We simply say that the Orthodox Church contains the fullness of the Christian Truth. We also say, “We believe what all Christians, everywhere, have always believed, at all times.” This means that the Nicene Creed is very central to our faith and we cannot compromise on that.

I would also like to address this issue of the LDS claiming that we Orthodox have taught that men can become gods. This is untrue. Orthodoxy does not teach this and never has. We believe that man can become “godly” or holy, through a long process of sanctification, but at no time do we believe that men become divine or gods in themselves. This is a heresy in the view of the Orthodox. The Orthodox doctrine of Theosis has never taught that men , or women for that matter, become gods. It only teaches that we must become sanctified and godly and that after death, the soul will be united with God.

I hope that you will receive these Truths in the spirit they are given. They are not given as a harsh criticism of you and your church. We are simply defending our own Faith. It is One Faith, and it has always been One Faith, since 33AD.

In love, we proclaim to you that Orthodoxy is:

Jude, Chapter 1:
3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Dear Ammon,
We do not have "denominations". Orthodoxy spread into many lands and was given in one whole piece, to the people, in their own language. There is no deviation from one Jurisdiction to another. Serbian Orthodox is the same as Greek Orthodox. Only the language of the people differ. We keep the title "Serbian" because the faith was delivered to Serbia, and they have their Serbian bishops who are in communion and full agreement with every other jurisdiction. Just an example. We do not have "denominations". We have one faith, everywhere at all times. Every Sunday, the Liturgy is the same in Serbia as it is in Greece.

Upvote 0

happyinhisgrace

Blessed Trinity
Jan 2, 2004
✟19,496.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Suzannah said:
It has become very clear to me that there is a great deal of confusion in this section of CF as to what Orthodoxy, aka the Eastern Orthodox Church, teaches and exactly what it is.

Love dictates that we Orthodox tell you the truth about us, about our church, about our beliefs.

There are LDS people on this site who have claimed that their church, the LDS church is “true” Orthodoxy and that it is the “Restoration” of the Original Church, founded by Christ, and the Apostles after 33AD. We Orthodox are here to tell you that the Church founded by Jesus Christ in 33AD, through the authority of His Chosen Apostles, has not gone anywhere, has not been “removed from the Earth”, nor has it ever fallen into some sort of “apostasy”. The history of the Eastern Orthodox Church is clearly defined, and it is supported by Catholic historians and scholars, Protestant historians and scholars, and also secular historians and scholars. Orthodox cities and churches of vast historical significance, can be located and visited! J Orthodox teaching and true, unbroken, Apostolic succession can be objectively and thoroughly verified.

To my fellow posters: If you are Catholic or Protestant, please do not debate what we are saying here. We have a duty here, to tell the LDS people, the truth and any differences between our Church and yours are a different discussion altogether. For the purposes of this site, we need to stand unified in this particular matter. What we are saying here, in this context, is not directed at you. The whole history of Christianity holds many implications for all of us, Orthodox and non-Orthodox alike. Each must weigh it in his/her own conscience and faith, but let no one say that the LDS Church is the “restoration” of Christ’s church. In this matter, let us, Orthodox, Catholic and Protestant, agree on this:

Canon VII of the Third Ecumenical Council

"Let no one be permitted to bring forward, or write or compose a different faith besides that defined by the holy Fathers who assembled with the Holy Spirit in the city of Nicaea. And whoever dares to compose a different faith, or present, or offer [one] to those wishing to turn to the knowledge of the truth…let such, if they be bishops or belong to the clergy, be alien bishops from the episcopate, and clerics from the clergy--and if they be laymen, let them be given over to anathema."

Anathema is how Orthodoxy has preserved it’s Apostolic succession and teaching from the earliest times of the Church. The Church is a “hospital” for those that are spiritually sick and heresy is viewed as a spiritual sickness. Those that are within the Church must be protected against false teaching which leads us into spiritual error, and then, spiritual sickness. We believe that our salvation is at stake!

Orthodoxy is Christ’s church and has existed since the beginning of Christianity. Acts 11
25 Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul:
26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
27 And in these days came prophets from Jerusalem unto Antioch.

Jesus said:

Matthew 16

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

History places Peter as the Bishop of Rome, First among Equals. There were many (and still are) other Bishops who held equal power in the Church to direct it under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. This Apostolic succession of the Priesthood has continued today, unbroken through the Ordination of the Church and through the laying on of hands. Every Orthodox priest living today, can trace his spiritual authority directly back to the Apostles. The Roman Catholic Church, although no longer in communion with us, also can trace their spiritual authority back to Peter.

For the LDS to claim that we no longer exist, or that we need a “Restoration” is simply untrue. And I believe it is only because Orthodoxy is relatively “new” to the West, only a few hundred years in America. It has been called “America’s Best Kept Secret”. The Orthodox do not engage in the same evangelical style of missions and so this is another reason why many have never even heard of us.

(Its also quite rare for us to engage in debates or discussions outside of our own forum here at CF! LOL! The Ancient Way is our forum if you would like to “Come, and see!” J You may not debate there, according to forum rules, but you’re certainly welcome to look around and read all the threads and send me a pm with any questions.)

Although Orthodox Christianity itself prevents us Orthodox from “ecumenism” with other faiths, and traditions, we certainly do care about you and this does not mean we cannot be friends on an individual level. We simply cannot and are forbidden to compromise on what we believe and hold to be true.

We believe in the Nicene Creed. We believe in the infallibility of the Holy Bible. We believe that Holy Tradition is based upon the Bible and must never depart or be separated from it.

The Orthodox Church has a very wise saying: “We know where the Church is, but we do not know where it is not”. This means that we do not speculate about where the Holy Spirit is or is not. We simply say that the Orthodox Church contains the fullness of the Christian Truth. We also say, “We believe what all Christians, everywhere, have always believed, at all times.” This means that the Nicene Creed is very central to our faith and we cannot compromise on that.

I would also like to address this issue of the LDS claiming that we Orthodox have taught that men can become gods. This is untrue. Orthodoxy does not teach this and never has. We believe that man can become “godly” or holy, through a long process of sanctification, but at no time do we believe that men become divine or gods in themselves. This is a heresy in the view of the Orthodox. The Orthodox doctrine of Theosis has never taught that men , or women for that matter, become gods. It only teaches that we must become sanctified and godly and that after death, the soul will be united with God.

I hope that you will receive these Truths in the spirit they are given. They are not given as a harsh criticism of you and your church. We are simply defending our own Faith. It is One Faith, and it has always been One Faith, since 33AD.

In love, we proclaim to you that Orthodoxy is:

Jude, Chapter 1:
3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

I am not a member of the Orthodox (big O) church but I am a member of the body of believers in the true Jesus and I believe that we both worship the same triune God of the Bible. One of the churches I attend for worship is an Anglican church and we recite the nicene creed each service and I agree with it's simple wording of the triune God. I think we can learn much from each other, you and I. I appreciate your post suzhanna, and look forward to reading more of them.

God Bless,
Grace

Upvote 0

AMMON

LATTER-DAY SAINT
Jan 30, 2004
Sacramento, California
Visit site
✟2,223.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Suzannah said:
Dear Ammon,
We do not have "denominations". Orthodoxy spread into many lands and was given in one whole piece, to the people, in their own language. There is no deviation from one Jurisdiction to another. Serbian Orthodox is the same as Greek Orthodox. Only the language of the people differ. We keep the title "Serbian" because the faith was delivered to Serbia, and they have their Serbian bishops who are in communion and full agreement with every other jurisdiction. Just an example. We do not have "denominations". We have one faith, everywhere at all times. Every Sunday, the Liturgy is the same in Serbia as it is in Greece.

My reference was to your call that all (e.g., Catholics, Baptists, etc.) be united in a front against The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. If your united, why are you not united?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Ammon said:
So, if you are united, why do you have so many demoninations? Why not just jetison your titles and form one church... The Christian Church? What are the differences that keep you from doing this?
Whatever differences there are between the Orthodox Church and Protestantism are small compared to the differences brought about by Mormonism. If anything is apostate, it is certainly Mormonism. Mormons aka LDS do not worship the God of the Bible nor do they regard biblical truth as a standard. So if you feel there is a wound in the Church established by Jesus Christ, you cannot heal it with Mormon heresy.

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Dear Ammon, '
You are asking why we are not in communion with the Catholics and Protestants, I guess? The answer is, Orthodoxy accepts the Seven Ecumenical councils. We believe that that Roman Church, originally Orthodox, left us in 1054. Protestantism came from the Roman Church. We have remained the same since 33AD and all of our Bishops and Priests are in communion with one another. So yes, we are United in One Orthodox body, but we are not in communion with Catholics and Protestants.

The reason that I called for Catholics and Protestants to unite in this thread is because on this matter, of the LDS claims, we all agree: The LDS faith is schismatic because:
it denies the Holy Trinity
it denies the inerrancy of the Holy Bible and brings forth "new revelation"
it preaches that men become gods
it says that Jesus is not fully God, as part of the Holy Trinity, but is a "spirit brother" of Lucifer.

There are many other differences between LDS and historical Orthodox Christianity. In these matters, Orthodox would agree with the Protestants.

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
happyinhisgrace said:
I am not a member of the Orthodox (big O) church but I am a member of the body of believers in the true Jesus and I believe that we both worship the same triune God of the Bible. One of the churches I attend for worship is an Anglican church and we recite the nicene creed each service and I agree with it's simple wording of the triune God. I think we can learn much from each other, you and I. I appreciate your post suzhanna, and look forward to reading more of them.

God Bless,
Grace
May God bless you and cause His face to shine upon you! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AMMON

LATTER-DAY SAINT
Jan 30, 2004
Sacramento, California
Visit site
✟2,223.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Suzannah said:
Dear Ammon, '
You are asking why we are not in communion with the Catholics and Protestants, I guess? The answer is, Orthodoxy accepts the Seven Ecumenical councils. We believe that that Roman Church, originally Orthodox, left us in 1054. Protestantism came from the Roman Church. We have remained the same since 33AD and all of our Bishops and Priests are in communion with one another. So yes, we are United in One Orthodox body, but we are not in communion with Catholics and Protestants.

The reason that I called for Catholics and Protestants to unite in this thread is because on this matter, of the LDS claims, we all agree: The LDS faith is schismatic because:
it denies the Holy Trinity
it denies the inerrancy of the Holy Bible and brings forth "new revelation"
it preaches that men become gods
it says that Jesus is not fully God, as part of the Holy Trinity, but is a "spirit brother" of Lucifer.

There are many other differences between LDS and historical Orthodox Christianity. In these matters, Orthodox would agree with the Protestants.

So are those denominations, including the Catholic Church, that broke from your communion, still authorized to act in holy matters, or are they apostate? And if you can unite, why not do so and throw out all your differences? They must not matter if you can truly unite.

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
GodsWordisTrue said:
Whatever differences there are between the Orthodox Church and Protestantism are small compared to the differences brought about by Mormonism. If anything is apostate, it is certainly Mormonism. Mormons aka LDS do not worship the God of the Bible nor do they regard biblical truth as a standard. So if you feel there is a wound in the Church established by Jesus Christ, you cannot heal it with Mormon heresy.
God bless you! With God all things are possible.
:)

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Ammon said:
What ARE the differences? And why can't you put them aside if they are so trivial?
There are different interpretations of what is trivial. I said the differences are small compared to the differences between us and Mormonism. Instead of being concerned with the differences between the Orthodox Church and a Protestant one, you should be concerned about the heresies in Mormonism. Mormons have the wrong god. If that's not serious, nothing is!

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Dear Ammon,
You are setting up a red herring. This discussion is another discussion and you are certainly welcome to ask this in pm. But that is not the purpose of the original post. I will say it again: the purpose of my original post was to address the LDS claims of "orthodoxy".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AMMON

LATTER-DAY SAINT
Jan 30, 2004
Sacramento, California
Visit site
✟2,223.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
GodsWordisTrue said:
There are different interpretations of what is trivial. I said the differences are small compared to the differences between us and Mormonism. Instead of being concerned with the differences between the Orthodox Church and a Protestant one, you should be concerned about the heresies in Mormonism. Mormons have the wrong god. If that's not serious, nothing is!

If the differences are so trival, why not throw them out and unite in one body, as Christ founded originally? Why so many denominations and debates between them? For example, don't some of you say baptism is required for salvation while others do not? That difference seems pretty important to me. If one is wrong about that doctrine, and does not get baptized, and the other is right, the ones who do not believe in baptism go to Hell. That is surely not trival. Is it?

Upvote 0

AMMON

LATTER-DAY SAINT
Jan 30, 2004
Sacramento, California
Visit site
✟2,223.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Suzannah said:
Dear Ammon,
You are setting up a red herring. This discussion is another discussion and you are certainly welcome to ask this in pm. But that is not the purpose of the original post. I will say it again: the purpose of my original post was to address the LDS claims of "orthodoxy".

I already have a thread about that, which I started before your thread. So, I assume that your thread was either designed to hijack my thread or discuss something different.

Upvote 0

happyinhisgrace

Blessed Trinity
Jan 2, 2004
✟19,496.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
GodsWordisTrue said:
hhhhmm, do the words "divide and conquer" come to mind at this time? Someone (not you Gwit) is trying to upset the applecart.

LOL
Grace

Upvote 0

AMMON

LATTER-DAY SAINT
Jan 30, 2004
Sacramento, California
Visit site
✟2,223.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
happyinhisgrace said:
hhhhmm, do the words "divide and conquer" come to mind at this time? Someone (not you Gwit) is trying to upset the applecart.

LOL
Grace

Since all the apples are of a different variety, someone needs to upset the cart. They don't belong together.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.