Not open for further replies.

TOmNossor

Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
✟1,236.00
Faith
Mormon
Suzannah said:
For everyone: I must take exception to Doc T's assertion that the "early Christians will just have to disagree with you on this one".

The Early Church Fathers have never taught that Jesus was only flesh and blood, thereby the God the Father being flesh and blood. They have also never taught that Jesus was only God. This is called the hypostatic union. Yes, it is true that Jesus became Man, and had a body of flesh and blood, but that is not all there is to who He is. Here are the Anathemas to this:

This document, including these Anathemas was written in 553 AD at the Second Council of Constantinople. This is still the teaching of the Eastern Orthodox Church.
Suzannah,
Suzannah,

Your history does not go far enough back.

First, the fact that in 533AD there were those who declared “such and such” anathema is evidence that “such and such” was believed at this time by “so and so.”

In 533AD the doctrine of the pre-existence was also condemned. LDS without reservation would say that to condemn this truth was an error by the council. You yourself suggested that the name of the Eastern Orthodox Church began to be formed in the 5th century. The issue would be what was believed before. You have provided evidence that what you call heretical was indeed believed earlier than this.

LDS do not see any apostolic authority post the end of John’s public ministry. As ordained Bishops who only possessed authority over their local churches met and argued about orthodoxy, error was introduced to the church.

Charity, TOm

Upvote 0

ChoirDir

Choir Director
Jan 19, 2004
South Carolina
Visit site
✟15,652.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Tom Nessor said:
LDS do not see any apostolic authority post the end of John’s public ministry. As ordained Bishops who only possessed authority over their local churches met and argued about orthodoxy, error was introduced to the church.
Well than you are going to have to throw away the NT since it was these Bishops who canonized the books of the NT.

Upvote 0

TOmNossor

Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
✟1,236.00
Faith
Mormon
ChoirDir said:
Well than you are going to have to throw away the NT since it was these Bishops who canonized the books of the NT.
I disagree with throwing away the New Testament.

Recognizing that it is not inerrant, yes, but discarding totally no.

LDS believe that the Bible is the word of God so far as it is translated correctly. I have never had any use for questioning translation. It seems the most of the time non-LDS scholars agree with LDS interpretation that we derive from authoritative interpretation by ordained leaders and thus I typically just suggest that LDS interpretations are within the spectrum of those held by non-LDS who embrace the Bible.

In any case, I believe that Joseph Smith was directed to use the KJV of the Bible because of the sufficiency of this translation and because of the importance of creating common ground from which to teach greater truths.

I am kind of partial to the Shepard of Hermas’ Visions and would have liked to see them included. But as Joseph Smith said of what Protestant’s call the apocrypha, if read with the Holy Spirit then benefit can be had, but these documents are not essential.

Charity, TOm

Upvote 0

ChoirDir

Choir Director
Jan 19, 2004
South Carolina
Visit site
✟15,652.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
But if the Apostacy occured after the last Apostle died then the Bible which was canonized by the Church would be a product of Apostacy. It should also be noted that the Church Fathers used the LXX for the OT. The Hebrew OT was rewritten after the fall of Jerusalem to exclude the "Apocrypha". EO Bibles include these books.

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
TOmNossor said:
Suzannah,
Suzannah,

Your history does not go far enough back.

First, the fact that in 533AD there were those who declared “such and such” anathema is evidence that “such and such” was believed at this time by “so and so.”

In 533AD the doctrine of the pre-existence was also condemned. LDS without reservation would say that to condemn this truth was an error by the council. You yourself suggested that the name of the Eastern Orthodox Church began to be formed in the 5th century. The issue would be what was believed before. You have provided evidence that what you call heretical was indeed believed earlier than this.

Charity, TOm
Hi . I will start with answering your other reply first. Then I will return to this issue.

Dear Tom,
First, thank you for expressing a personal interest in me. That is appreciated! Let me say that I was Orthodox before I became Orthodox. What I mean is, I studied Christian history and theology (both Protestant, Catholic/Apostolic) before my conversion for many years. "Becoming Orthodox" was a formal recognition for me of what I already knew to be true for some time. I studied Orthodoxy specifically for a year before I converted. Before that, I hashed out and agonized over just about every Protestant doctrine out there *wink*...That's probably more than you asked...sorry! :p

You mentioned some past discussions of imputed righteousness. It is true I may have disagreed on certain points, but I am also certain I have never completely discounted works as integrated with faith. Certainly I have always admired the LDS admonitions toward "works"...these are very good things. But by themselves, without right belief and faith, they are questionable at best. My only issue on either side of this would be: a) faith without right doctrine would be a false faith and b) works without right faith and doctrine together would be incomplete. So yes, I can say that faith completely alone is incomplete. I can also say works integrated with improper belief is also incomplete. I will say that right faith plus right belief plus striving for godliness (works) is the best combination. If I said "faith alone" what I really meant and do mean is/was: right faith, right belief, right actions in accordance with the former. If I said "salvation by Grace", what I really mean is: It is grace! It is grace that we are given the ability to have faith. It is grace that we have the ability to integrate works with faith. It is grace if we are "saved" in spite of sinful selves. While I do not believe that salvation depends completely on "right belief" I also do not believe in salvation on the basis of works. We can have all the right doctrine in the world, and still go to hell because we do not have love. We can have all the love and best intentions in the world, and if our faith is misplaced because of willful unbelief in right teaching, we just might go to hell. Notice I said "willful" and "might". We must strive always for right faith, right belief, righteousness and above all LOVE. If we do not struggle for ALL these things, we cannot be His. Eastern Orthodoxy teaches this. Additionally many Protestants believe it as well. I believed it before I became Orthodox. If I did not state my position perfectly in the past, I apologize and I am certain I will make errors of omission from time to time as I am one of the worlds biggest bozos. Thank you for asking for clarification. I hope we can move past this now.

Thank you for pointing out what you believe to be "healthy" in the EO.
As to your concerns, please allow me to offer the following.

TOm:
It is important that I let Orthodox Christians define what it is to believe in deification within the Easter Orthodox tradition, but LDS should define what our concept of deification is.
Thank you! We feel we have done that and we hope it is now extremely clear. Oblio, myself, Patristic, Choir Dir and Dismas have all offered various sources of information about this.

TOm:
Could a faithful Eastern Orthodox Christian say, "Men may become gods by partaking of the divine nature through Jesus Christ and uniting with the Holy Trinity?"

Me: I feel that this has already been adequately addressed in the various posts already made. Men do not, in Eastern Orthodox teaching, become gods of their own planets with wife-goddesses, procreating throughout eternity. They do not become individual gods.

TOm:
On to more pressing matters. I have looked briefly into the Eastern Orthodox Church. They do not have the huge difficulty required of Catholics to explain the development of the Papacy (but it should be noted that the concept of a Patriarch is also a development). They do not have the "fatal flaw" (in my opinion) of no priesthood authority passed down from the apostolic foundations of the first century like all solely "priesthood of all believers" churches. Great! I am very happy about this and I hope you will continue to study it even if for no other reason than your own knowledge.
But I do see some reason for concern.

Me:
Okay! :)
Patriarch is the same as a Bishopric. It simply implies that he is head of that Jurisdiction. He is still equal among all other Patriarchs in communion.

TOm:
Is revelation over? Is there absolutely no revelation? Do councils comprised of ordained authorities have the ability to tape into the powers of heaven and define tradition in ways aided by deity?
Me:
We accept the Seven Ecumenical Councils. It is entirely possible that another Council could occur under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. We believe that the Holy Spirit has always guided and protected the Church, indeed although other groups have left us and times have been turbulent, the Orthodox Church has remained on Earth at all times pursuant to Jesus: "Thou art Peter and upon this rock, I will build my Church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."
Even Soviet Communism, one of the greatest enemies of Christianity, could not erase 1000 years of Russian Orthodoxy, Serbian Orthodoxy, Bulgarian Orthodoxy, Romanian Orthodoxy.....In fact, these churches thrived and their witness has been an inspiration to the entire Christian world.
For as long as one Apostolic Successor, one Bishop remains upon the Earth, there is Orthodoxy! :)
Therefore, since Orthodoxy has been continuous since 33AD, and no one can provide evidence to the contrary, we must assume that our Lord told us the truth.
TOm:
I do not know the answer to the above questions in accordance with Eastern Orthodox Christianity, but I believe one answer produces a church far less likely to be God's church on earth than the CoJCoLDS and the other answer results in a "fatal flaw." I will await your answer and then explain why I believe this. Like I said, I have not extensively reviewed the doctrines of the Eastern Orthodox Church, so I could be missing some things.

Regarding the above: You, the LDS members of this forum have failed to provide any evidence whatsoever of any apostacy. You have cited no sources. The above quoted anathemas are simply in response to various heresies that had been going on for some time. I did not assert that Orthodoxy began in the 500's. You are attempting to set up a straw man and you have used my comment "It was not called Orthodoxy until..." to create a frivilous argument. The Church was ONE from the beginning, 33AD. You state that all this error crept in after John's death...this still goes back to our original problem: if error crept in why did not Jesus prevent it by not giving the keys to Peter in the first place? You attempt several insinuations and yet do not provide sources for your claims.
And ChoirDir's question is also legitimate in response to this.

As I said, Tom, I hope you will continue your studies. My very best wishes to you.

Upvote 0

TOmNossor

Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
✟1,236.00
Faith
Mormon
I need to go for a while. I think that the Protestant belief that the Bible was compiled by God through men who were trying to exercise authority they really didn’t have is not wholly flawed.

I choose not to embrace this particular idea, although I bet some LDS have claimed that they believe this.

I believe that the Bible has been reviewed by God’s chosen restoration prophet, Joseph Smith. His approval which I think is a product of two things mentioned in my previous post elevates the books of the Bible far above the Shepard of Hermas.

Also, I believe that the authority of the Bishop continued for some time past the death of the last apostle (potentially until 1819, but I would generally doubt it). Some inspiration could have been involved in the selection of the books of the Bible.

In any case, the Bible is not the source of the doctrine of the CoJCoLDS. God is the source of LDS beliefs, and the Bible is one source of these God breathed doctrines.

I believe the rejection of the apocrypha was a curious result of the reformation.

I believe God inspired Joseph Smith to choose the KJV of the Bible (including the rejection of the apocrypha) partially to create parallels from which to share greater light and knowledge.

I do not even thing that the absence of the apocrypha or the seeming reliance upon the 4th Century Canonization efforts is a “fatal flaw” even for sola scripturist. But for LDS who are not sola scripturist, I do not think that there is a real issue.

Charity, TOm

Upvote 0

happyinhisgrace

Blessed Trinity
Jan 2, 2004
✟19,496.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I need to go for a while. I think that the Protestant belief that the Bible was compiled by God through men who were trying to exercise authority they really didn’t have is not wholly flawed.

This makes no sense to me. When did it become a prodestant believe that the Bible was compiled through men who were trying to exercise authority they really didn't have? Prodestants believe the Bible is the Word of God and that it has been preserved just how God wanted it to be. I don't know any prodestant that believes that the men who "compiled" the books in the Bible were just trying to exercise athority that they really didn't have. Before you speak of what prodestants believe, maybe you should find out first what it really is that they do believe.

Grace

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TOmNossor

Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
✟1,236.00
Faith
Mormon
happyinhisgrace said:

This makes no sense to me. When did it become a prodestant believe that the Bible was compiled through men who were trying to exercise authority they really didn't have? Prodestants believe the Bible is the Word of God and that it has been preserved just how God wanted it to be. I don't know any prodestant that believes that the men who "compiled" the books in the Bible were just trying to exercise athority that they really didn't have. Before you speak of what prodestants believe, maybe you should find out first what it really is that they do believe.

Grace
HappyinHisgrace,

Me thinks you protest too much. [Pun intended].

The Bible was compiled in the 4th century by men who believed they where ordained of God.

I said that you who believe that God worked through these men do not have a “fatal flaw” in this aspect of your belief. It is possible for God to work through men who do not have authority the Protestant churches recognize and preserve the Bible.

I doubt very seriously that there is any misunderstanding in my knowledge concerning this aspect of the Bible and Protestant belief. If you really disagree it is you who need to study more. The Bible (New Testament) did not appear in 33AD as some God breathed book. The individual books were written over the course of prolly less than 100 years. Many other books proclaiming to be important accounts of God’s dealing with man were also written during this timeframe. The early Church choose some and rejected others.

Charity, TOm

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi Ammon,

In the Orthodox view of Christianity, the Bible must be interpreted as a whole, with Holy Tradition. However, the Orthodox do not "endorse" one version over another, and allow the whole to be interpreted together. Rather, by comparing the original Greek of the New Testament for example, with English texts one can then compare the teachings of the Holy Fathers on any particular passage and come away with a greater understanding.

Sola scripturists, have a different view, but that is another thread, I'm sure.
:)
In Christ,
Suzannah

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
TOmNossor said:
HappyinHisgrace,

The Bible was compiled in the 4th century by men who believed they where ordained of God.

I said that you who believe that God worked through these men do not have a “fatal flaw” in this aspect of your belief. It is possible for God to work through men who do not have authority the Protestant churches recognize and preserve the Bible.

I doubt very seriously that there is any misunderstanding in my knowledge concerning this aspect of the Bible and Protestant belief. If you really disagree it is you who need to study more. The Bible (New Testament) did not appear in 33AD as some God breathed book. The individual books were written over the course of prolly less than 100 years. Many other books proclaiming to be important accounts of God’s dealing with man were also written during this timeframe. The early Church choose some and rejected others.

Charity, TOm
Dear Tom,
As a former Protestant I will say that many Protestant denoms are sola scripturists. That being said, all Protestant denoms agree that the Bible, excluding the Apocrypha, are inspired by God and were preserved by the Holy Spirit, through the men in charge of this task, which historically speaking were Orthodox. We, the Orthodox are still waiting for your evidence that there was apostasy in the Orthodox church. We are also still waiting for your evidence that the men who approved the cannon were in Apostasy. We also would like you to address this question: If Jesus is the Son of God, and He knows the future, why did he give the "keys of heaven" to Peter if he presumably, if he's God, knew that Peter could not be trusted? Choir Dir has yet to hear from you on his point also: if the early church experienced "apostasy", then why do the LDS use the Bible they, the "apostate" cannonized?

In your last paragraph, you discuss how the canon was approved.
May I just offer that the cannon which we Orthodox know today includes ALL those books to which you refer. The exclusion of the Apocrypha came about from the Protestant Reformation. So when you say the "early Church choose some and rejected others", this is entirely untrue. I do hope you will continue your studies.
Best wishes!
In Christ,
Suzannah

Upvote 0

TOmNossor

Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
✟1,236.00
Faith
Mormon
Suzannah said:
Dear Tom,
As a former Protestant I will say that many Protestant denoms are sola scripturists. That being said, all Protestant denoms agree that the Bible, excluding the Apocrypha, are inspired by God and were preserved by the Holy Spirit, through the men in charge of this task, which historically speaking were Orthodox. We, the Orthodox are still waiting for your evidence that there was apostasy in the Orthodox church. We are also still waiting for your evidence that the men who approved the cannon were in Apostasy. We also would like you to address this question: If Jesus is the Son of God, and He knows the future, why did he give the "keys of heaven" to Peter if he presumably, if he's God, knew that Peter could not be trusted? Choir Dir has yet to hear from you on his point also: if the early church experienced "apostasy", then why do the LDS use the Bible they, the "apostate" cannonized?

In your last paragraph, you discuss how the canon was approved.
May I just offer that the cannon which we Orthodox know today includes ALL those books to which you refer. The exclusion of the Apocrypha came about from the Protestant Reformation. So when you say the "early Church choose some and rejected others", this is entirely untrue. I do hope you will continue your studies.
Best wishes!
In Christ,
Suzannah
Suzannah:

May I just offer that the cannon which we Orthodox know today includes ALL those books to which you refer. The exclusion of the Apocrypha came about from the Protestant Reformation. So when you say the "early Church choose some and rejected others", this is entirely untrue.

TOm:

The Gospel of Thomas, the Pastor of Hermas, Secret Mark, the Protoevangelism of James, … these are just a few books that existed early on. The Pastor of Hermas’ writings were likely used in church services significantly more than the book of Revelations before the canonization efforts. Some books like Revelations, barely got into the Bible. Some books like 1st Clement were barely excluded.

Concerning the Reformist rejection of the apocrypha, if I were to choose who was right and who was wrong based solely on the history I know, I would say that the Protestants erred in rejecting the apocrypha. Luther prolly would have rejected the Book of James if he thought he could.

I was not referring to these books when I said, choose some and rejected others. I was referring to the books I mentioned in the first paragraph.

Most of my apostasy ideas have circulated around the development of the Papacy. You and I agree this was a non-authoritative development. I also agree with you that the emergence of Patriarchs as first among equals is not near so concerning as the Primacy of Rome. However, if the councils and the Bishops have the ability to authoritatively interpret tradition, then the creation of the Papacy is not necessarily any greater of a fatal flaw than other “natural revelations.”

In the 19th Century a brilliant scholar wrote a book entitled “An Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine.” In the absence of the Restoration, I would be a Catholic who believes as Cardinal Newman proposed, that is in “natural revelation” for the authoritative definition of tradition.

However, before the 19th Century who wrote of this idea. It certainly does not have early witness in writings. The history of the church shows men who disagreed. Men who fought. Men who burned the writings of those who lost the battles and who shunned the losers. Men who appealed to secular authority to enforce their decisions. Men who relied on secular authorities to call councils. I do not believe it a “fatal flaw” to postulate that this was the way God intended for “the gates of hell” to not prevail, but it is quite a leap.

I believe to be Catholic or Eastern Orthodox one must believe that in the Old Testament supernatural revelation was used for God to communicate with man. In the New Testament supernatural revelation was used for God to communicate with man. But in the Newman Testament (my name for post New Testament time) God choose to use “natural revelation” which is indistinguishable from the thinking of men who use philosophy and logic.

Contrast this with the Restoration Testament which says that God has not changed the methods through which he interacts with his church.

I leave you with the task of showing why God changed? Who explained the change to? And were is it documented that he changed?

Concerning Matthew 16:18. The most simple argument about this revolves around the word “prevail.” To prevail is to win in the end. This does not mean there will not be an Apostasy, but that God will prevail in the end. Also, the “gates of Hades” is not properly understood to be the power of the devil. Barry Bickmore does an extensive review of these words. Scott Pierson has promised a book that will use Matthew 16:18 as a key point in showing the validity of the Restoration. But for know let me leave you with the words of a Catholic scholar from Barry Bickmore.

Michael M. Winter, former lecturer in Fundamental Theology at St. John's Seminary (Roman Catholic), in his excellent scholarly defense of the papacy, admits that "although some writers have applied the idea of immortality to the survival of the church, it seems preferable to see it as a promise of triumph over evil."

Newman relies quite heavily on the thought that the church could not vanish based on the above passage. I do not think the above passage is any such promise.

Suzannah:

Choir Dir has yet to hear from you on his point also: if the early church experienced "apostasy", then why do the LDS use the Bible they, the "apostate" cannonized?

TOm:

I do think I have commented on this now. Quite simply the scriptures are a tool to know God by. They are not the only tool, but they are a good tool and the Prophet of God prayed to know (as we all should) and discovered that they were good for the church. I take whatever is good and wonderful from all churches, and I think the Catholics and Eastern Orthodox Churches for preserving the Bible and the witness of Jesus Christ. I believe it was men who had first limited and by 1819 no authority who did this, but I still find wonderful things from Protestants who never had any authority. This is not a problem for me.

Suzannah:

We, the Orthodox are still waiting for your evidence that there was apostasy in the Orthodox church.

TOm:

I will try to provide some more in a while, but here is a quick summary:

1. LDS interpret the Bible as prophesying an apostasy.

2. The Shepard of Hermas’ Vision was not describing the end of the world. The angel said that “a lesser organization” would be in place at the completion of the tower.

3. The supernatural revelation vs. natural revelation issue discussed above.

4. How do you an Eastern Orthodox embrace the “natural revelation” of the first 7 councils, but reject the Papacy. What happened? This is why I would be Catholic without the Restoration if the Restoration never happened. If “natural revelation” is the guiding force of God’s church, why are you correct and not the Catholics. If you can find the place where God said, “Now I will lead by ‘natural revelation’” next you must find the place where God said, “’Natural revelation’ is done the 7 councils are enough.”

5. The reality and miracles of the restoration witness to the reality of an apostasy.

6. Most important, one must pursue spiritual witness of the truth. Augustine was lead into error by his intellect, but he taught that the spiritual witness is to come first/with the intellectual witness. I expect no one to reject intellectual argument, but spiritual witness is critical.

Charity, TOm

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

happyinhisgrace

Blessed Trinity
Jan 2, 2004
✟19,496.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
HappyinHisgrace,

Of course I do, because I disagree with your misrepresentations of prodestant beliefs.

And?

Prodestants believe that the Holy Spirit worked through these men to preserve Gods word, therefore they had athority to do so. The athority of the Holy Spirit.

I doubt very seriously that there is any misunderstanding in my knowledge concerning this aspect of the Bible and Protestant belief.

You also believe that early Christians taught and understood that man can become gods and you have been shown that you were wrong on that one but you still choose to embrase that false belief.

If you really disagree it is you who need to study more.

Of course, because I disagree with your misrepresentations of prodestant beliefs, that means I must study more, right?

The Bible (New Testament) did not appear in 33AD as some God breathed book. The individual books were written over the course of prolly less than 100 years. Many other books proclaiming to be important accounts of God’s dealing with man were also written during this timeframe. The early Church choose some and rejected others.

And? I already knew that, what is your point with that? Because the manuscripts were later compiled into what is now called "the Bible" you assume this means they were not God breathed? It is unfortunate that you do not believe the compiled books of the Bible were God breathed, guess you best throw them out if they are not the true word of God, hu.

Grace

Upvote 0

TOmNossor

Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
✟1,236.00
Faith
Mormon
happyinhisgrace said:
HappyinHisgrace,

Of course I do, because I disagree with your misrepresentations of prodestant beliefs.

And?

Prodestants believe that the Holy Spirit worked through these men to preserve Gods word, therefore they had athority to do so. The athority of the Holy Spirit.

I doubt very seriously that there is any misunderstanding in my knowledge concerning this aspect of the Bible and Protestant belief.

You also believe that early Christians taught and understood that man can become gods and you have been shown that you were wrong on that one but you still choose to embrase that false belief.

If you really disagree it is you who need to study more.

Of course, because I disagree with your misrepresentations of prodestant beliefs, that means I must study more, right?

The Bible (New Testament) did not appear in 33AD as some God breathed book. The individual books were written over the course of prolly less than 100 years. Many other books proclaiming to be important accounts of God’s dealing with man were also written during this timeframe. The early Church choose some and rejected others.

And? I already knew that, what is your point with that? Because the manuscripts were later compiled into what is now called "the Bible" you assume this means they were not God breathed? It is unfortunate that you do not believe the compiled books of the Bible were God breathed, guess you best throw them out if they are not the true word of God, hu.

Grace
HappyinHisgrace,

I truly do think you are finding reason to disagree and “protest” when there is none. Perhaps SOMEONE can explain how I am saying different things concerning the beliefs of Protestants than you are.

HappyinHisgrace:

TOm:

Perhaps this is the only issue. Did you know that those men thought they had valid holy orders and where ordained as priests and bishops within the Early Church (this is the belief of the Catholic and the EO church. Protestants reject this authority. When I said that God can use men who Protestants don’t believe have authority, how was this different than you saying that the authority is the Holy Spirit? You do not intend to differentiate between the Holy Spirit and God do you? Do you really think my claim that they didn’t have any authority but God used them was an attempt to deny the authority of the Holy Spirit?

HappyinHisgrace:

TOm:

It seems to me that you recognize that in truth I do not misunderstand nor misrepresent Protestant beliefs and so now you bring this up. You are correct. I do not believe that the early Christians would have balked at the statement than men may become gods. Nobody has ever succeeding in convincing me that this is not a true belief of the ECF. I will provide 4-5 quotes. From these you may argue that I am wrong when I say that Early Christians would baulk at the above statement. Enjoy!

Jerome - Homily 14 ...That we are gods, not so by nature, but by grace. "But as many as received him he gave power of becoming sons of God." I made man for that purpose, that from men they may become gods. (The Fathers of the Church 48.106)

Origen - Comm. on John 2.2,3. ...the Savior says in His prayer to the Father, "That they may know Thee the only true God;" but that all beyond the Very God is made God by participation in His divinity...And thus the first-born of all creation, who is the first to be with God, and to attract to Himself divinity, is a being of more exalted rank than the other gods beside Him, of whom God is the God, as it is written, "The God of gods, the Lord, hath spoken and called the earth." It was by the offices of the first-born that they became gods, for He drew from God in generous measure that they should be made gods, and He communicated it to them according to His own bounty. The true God, then, is "The God", and those who are formed after Him are gods, images, as it were of Him the prototype. ...Now it is possible that some may dislike what we have said representing the Father as the one true God, but admitting other beings besides the true God, who have become gods by having a share of God. They may fear that the glory of Him who surpasses all creation may be lowered to the level of those other beings called gods. We drew this distinction between Him and them that we showed God the Word to be to all the other gods the minister of their divinity.(ANF 10.323).

Thomas Aquinas - Opusculum 57.1-4 The only-begotten Son of God, wanting to make us sharers in his divinity, assumed our nature, so that he, made man, might make us gods. (Catechism of the Catholic Church, p. 116).

*Maximos the Confessor - Various Texts on Theology 2.26 When the Logos of God became man, He filled himan nature once more with the spiritual knowledge that it had lost; and steeling it against changefulness, He deified it, not in its essential nature, but in its quality. He stamped it completely with His own Spirit, as if adding wine to water so as to give the water the quality of wine. For He becomes truly man so that by grace He may make us gods. (The Philokalia 2.193)

Augustine - On the Psalms 50.2 It is evident then, that He hath called men gods, that are deified of His Grace, not born of His Substance. For He doth justify, who is just through His own self, and not of another; and He doth deify who is God through Himself, not by the partaking of another. But He that justifieth doth Himself deify, in that by justifying He doth make sons of God. "For He that given them power to become sons of God". If we have been made sons of God, we have also been made gods: but this is the effect of Grace adopting, not of nature generating. For only the Son of God, God, and one God with the Father, Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, was in the beginning the Word, and the Word with God, the Word God. The rest that are made gods, are made by His own Grace, are not born of His Substance, that they should be the same a He, but that by favour they should come to Him, and be fellow-heirs with Christ. ..."But we know," he saith,"that when He shall have appeared, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is." The Only Son is like him by birth, we like by seeing.(PNF 8.178).

TOm:

Let us also remember that I do not claim that the writings of the ECF witness to the identical deification which LDS believe in. Ex-Catholic Priest Father Vajda 5 years before leaving the Catholic Church to become a LDS wrote a masters thesis where he compared the ECF’s statements about deification. This is from an introduction to this document:

"The underlying motive for this thesis," Father Vajda states in the new introduction that he has written for FARMS, "was my . . . perception that one connection between the Catholic Church and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints lay in the fact that those who sought to deny the label 'Christian' to the LDS Church were, more often than not, the very same people who would then turn around and attempt to deny this label to the Catholic Church with the same reasons often being used in both instances to justify the conclusion. And since it was easy enough for me to see through the many half-truths, misunderstandings, and even outright errors alleged against the Catholic Church, I suspected that similar critiques leveled against the LDSChurch as to its 'non-Christian' status were equally flawed." Accordingly, he decided that he "wanted to reach beyond the rhetoric and discover for [himself] what the LDS Church actually taught," in the hope of encouraging responsible and accurate interfaith dialogue.

"I firmly maintain," writes Father Vajda, "that the Latter-day Saints are owed a debt of gratitude by other Christians because the Saints remind us all of our divine potential. The historic Christian doctrine of salvation theosis, i.e., human divinization for too long has been forgotten by too many Christians." "Members of the
LDSChurch," he promises near the beginning of his thesis, "will discover unmistakable evidence that their fundamental belief about human salvation and potential is not unique nor a Mormon invention. Latin Catholics and Protestants will learn of a doctrine of salvation that, while relatively foreign to their ears, is nevertheless part of the heritage of the undivided Catholic Church of the first millennium. Members of Eastern Orthodox and EasternCatholicChurches will discover on the American continent an amazing parallel to their own belief that salvation in Christ involves our becoming 'partakers of the divine nature.'"

TOm:

I also know two faithful committed Catholics who also believe that the ECF wrote of deification. But you are free to see whatever you wish to see. When you say things have been shown to me, I think you would be wise to let me determine what has been shown to me and what have been presented unconvincingly to me.

HappyinHisgrace:

TOm:

Pls show me where I have questioned the Bible as being God breathed.

I would be happy if someone other than you could explain to me what you are saying and/or explain to you what I am saying. Me really thinks ye doth protest too much, and I do not think it is a product of real issues.

Charity, TOm

Upvote 0

happyinhisgrace

Blessed Trinity
Jan 2, 2004
✟19,496.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok, I don't know what I did but somehow I erased the entire legnthy repsponce I just wrote...ggggrrrr. I am going to just flat out tell you right now, I do not want to write all that again...LOL

Ok, so here we go with a condensed version.

I protest to much in your mind because I don't agree with you and why in the world would anyone not agree with you? LOL

Toms777 and DelArtur have both shown you several times to be incorrect in your assurtions that the early church taught and believed that man can become gods. They have told you in detail how you misrepresent what the quotes say of early church leaders and they have given you other writings by early church fathers that prove your statements to be wrong. You have just made the choice to not acknowlege it.

As far as the whole statement of the Bible not being God Breathed, here is what you said:

The Bible is a compilation of God Breathed manuscripts. Therefore the Bible is God Breathed, just because all the books were not put into one large complete book until later, does not mean that it was not ALWAYS God Breathed, because it WAS. The Word of God has always been God breathed. And NO, I will not say that God breathed is different than breathed of by the Holy Spirit, they are one in the same God so if the Spirit breathes it, so does God the Father. I still find it unfortunate that you think that it was not so.

I have realized that you are trying to turn the topic of the thread into a "prodestant authority vs. EO athority" in attempt to distract from your false claims of what early church leaders taught and believed. Ok, you sucked me in this time with your false claims of what prodestants believe but I have learned from this and won't let it be so again.

Now, back to the orginal topic of the thread which by the way, has nothing to do with current Prodestant belief but rather the lds claims of what the early church taught compared to what the early church actually DID teach. Carry on!

Grace

Upvote 0

TOmNossor

Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
✟1,236.00
Faith
Mormon
happyinhisgrace said:
Ok, I don't know what I did but somehow I erased the entire legnthy repsponce I just wrote...ggggrrrr. I am going to just flat out tell you right now, I do not want to write all that again...LOL

Ok, so here we go with a condensed version.

I protest to much in your mind because I don't agree with you and why in the world would anyone not agree with you? LOL

Toms777 and DelArtur have both shown you several times to be incorrect in your assurtions that the early church taught and believed that man can become gods. They have told you in detail how you misrepresent what the quotes say of early church leaders and they have given you other writings by early church fathers that prove your statements to be wrong. You have just made the choice to not acknowlege it.

As far as the whole statement of the Bible not being God Breathed, here is what you said:

The Bible is a compilation of God Breathed manuscripts. Therefore the Bible is God Breathed, just because all the books were not put into one large complete book until later, does not mean that it was not ALWAYS God Breathed, because it WAS. The Word of God has always been God breathed. And NO, I will not say that God breathed is different than breathed of by the Holy Spirit, they are one in the same God so if the Spirit breathes it, so does God the Father. I still find it unfortunate that you think that it was not so.

I have realized that you are trying to turn the topic of the thread into a "prodestant authority vs. EO athority" in attempt to distract from your false claims of what early church leaders taught and believed. Ok, you sucked me in this time with your false claims of what prodestants believe but I have learned from this and won't let it be so again.

Now, back to the orginal topic of the thread which by the way, has nothing to do with current Prodestant belief but rather the lds claims of what the early church taught compared to what the early church actually DID teach. Carry on!

Grace
HappyinHisgrace:

TOm:

No you protest too much in my opinion because you find errors in my words that do not exist. I have not seen you say anything about Protestant beliefs that I did not already know.

HappyinHisgrace:

TOm:

I and many intelligent non-LDS scholars do not agree with them. They have proved nothing in my opinion. Perhaps you could start a new thread and address the 5 quotes I did post. Part of the reason I did include these 5 was because this is a response to some of the EO discussion, but I agree that we needn’t drag down the EO compared to LDS thread with Protestant concerns.

HappyinHisgrace:

As far as the whole statement of the Bible not being God Breathed, here is what you said:The Bible (New Testament) did not appear in 33AD as some God breathed book. The individual books were written over the course of prolly less than 100 years. Many other books proclaiming to be important accounts of God’s dealing with man were also written during this timeframe. The early Church choose some and rejected others.

TOm:

None of which was intended to question the “God breathed” status of the books. From many dozens of books claiming to discuss God, the early church choose ones that they believe were scripture. I have no problem with that choose. It is a Catholic and EO argument that Protestants are flawed for embracing the Bible compiled by Catholic or EO authority. I personally think it is not a strong point for Protestantism, but it is not a “fatal flaw.”

HappyinHisgrace:

TOm:

I agree it is important to get back to the topic at hand. I just pursued this because I could not fathom how you thought I had misrepresented your beliefs. I really did not intend to. If you thought I meant something different than what you corrected me to, then perhaps I am not a clear communicator.

My responses to the EO posters are still above, and I will hope that they will address what I have said.

If this thread is about patristics, I was not aware of this. I have been addressing LDS vs. EO beliefs. Patristics will be a part of this, but I can go into that more if our EO hosts wish.

Charity, TOm

Upvote 0

St. Tikon

Defender of Orthodoxy
Feb 28, 2004
Texas
✟7,874.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Ammon said:
What ARE the differences? And why can't you put them aside if they are so trivial?

The Holy Eastern Orthodox Church is the same as it was 1000 years ago.
We had no need of a "reformation" because we did not develop the "abuses" which were so prevalent.

The Protestant & Evangelical movements, though commendable for their attempt to "reform" Roman Catholicism tended to "throw the baby out with the bathwater" in a matter of speaking. Most rejected the writings of the Early Church Fathers, and the 7 Holy Ecumenical Councils, which define a large part of Basic Christianity.

Therefore, because of this problem, it is not possible for us to "join" together.

For more information on this subject, please reference the following link:
http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/ecumenism/jeremiah.htm

The title of the article is: The Three Answers of Patriarch Jeremiah II
to the Lutheran Scholars in Tubingen (1576-1581), or
A Commentary on Modern Ecumenical Dialogue With the Heterodox

God Bless!

Tikon+

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.