Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Of course the reader informs the reading, which is why exegesis must always remain a communal practice rather than an individual effort. Sola Scripura is not "me and my Bible in a closet" but that ultimately everything must find its source and end in the real meaning of Scripture. If there are places where there is an ambiguity the community of voices contributes especially the historic positions, but that is a far cry from a professional clergy running rough shod over their congregations through "sacred tradition."

Here's an example of why I personally don't feel the need for an infallible authority although I respect those who do. I had a church Zoom meeting earlier this evening run by two ministers (both female I might add but that's a side issue and need not sidetrack us!) and we were looking at a particular Bible passage. The format was mainly that the ministers asked us questions about what we thought various parts of the passage meant and they were happy to use their knowledge to give some direction and help to the discussion. But they were not directional and there was something not just therapeutic, although it was that, but very educational too in listening to people trying to discern meaning in the passage and how it related to their own lives. I did feel I learnt something that I probably wouldn't have got if the teaching style had been a more expounding one. Of course, if the people running the session weren't as skilled as they were here it could have been chaotic and so I think there is a need to balance informed opinion with personal experience. And I agree with you, community is essential, whether that involves church establishment figures or just other church members.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Here's an example of why I personally don't feel the need for an infallible authority although I respect those who do. I had a church Zoom meeting earlier this evening run by two ministers (both female I might add but that's a side issue and need not sidetrack us!) and we were looking at s particular Bible passage. The format was mainly that the ministers asked us questions about what we thought various parts of the passage meant and they were happy to use their knowledge to give some direction and help to the discussion. But they were not directional and there was something not just therapeutic, although it was that, but very educational too in listening to people trying to discern meaning in the passage and how it related to their own lives. I did feel I learnt something which wouldn't have got if the teaching style had been a more expounding one. Of course, if the people running the session weren't as skilled it could well have been chaotic so I think there is a need to balance informed opinion with personal experience. And I agree with you, community is essential, whether that involves church establishment figures or just other church members.
If I may enter in here, I agree with this and have participated in many a bible study with the same kind of give and take, where everyone's personal experience is sought and appreciated. But while we all must decide for ourselves the truth of one matter or another, and while the individual conscience is "king", so to speak and must not be denied, I wouldn't want a majority vote of bible students- or bible scholars, even- to decide the church's position on say, abortion. In any case it should be expected that much wisdom and understanding has preceded each of us-and we can at least give that the benefit of the doubt when weighing any issue for ourselves.

Reactions: Hmm
Upvote 0

Hmm

Hey, I'm just this guy, you know
Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
In any case it should be expected that much wisdom and understanding has preceded each of us-and we can at least give that the benefit of the doubt when weighing any issue for ourselves.

Good point. The community that we need to be a part of also includes everyone who has preceded us and who may very well have a wisdom that we have lost.

• Agree
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0