Original sin, yes, no, or not that important?

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Recently, a poster questioned the concept of Original Sin. He/she quoted Ezekiel 18 as a counter argument. My view is that there is a great deal of support for the idea that people are born sinners. Much of Romans 5 can be seen as supporting the concept of original sin.

Let's allow that the doctrine of Original Sin is incorrect or at least, not proven. It still leaves humanity with an insoluble problem. God created Adam and Eve "good" but they were incomplete. That is apparent from the provision of two unique trees in the garden of Eden. There was the tree of Life and the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. God warned Adam that the fruit of the knowledge tree was deadly. There was no other restriction placed on Adam.

We know the sorry story. Eve was deceived by the Serpent and Adam chose to join in her disobedience. The history of the human race demonstrates just how bad Adam's decision turned out to be.

Now God warned Adam that he would die. Please note that God did not say, "Adam, I will kill you". Adam did not die physically. His soul did not die. He could still think, feel and choose. So what did God mean? What God referred to was the spirit of man. Man died spiritually. Death is not the end of existence. We can see from the Genesis account that man still existed. But the man and the woman immediately covered up and hid from God.

The next thing was that they pushed the blame elsewhere. Adam blamed God - it was Eve's fault and God gave him Eve. Eve blamed the Serpent. And so it has been since that terrible day. How often have unbelievers told us that they are good people, in spite of blindingly obvious sin in their lives.

God closed access to the Tree of Life. From that time on, man had to live only by the knowledge of Good and Evil.

There is a great deal more to say on this subject, but I realise that people do not like to read overly long dissertations. Congratulations if you've got this far!

The Lord Jesus told us why He came to this earth 2,000 years ago. Most Christian teaching focuses on forgiveness of sins. I believe that this emphasis is overblown and does a great disservice to God's people. It fails to address a fundamental problem. All people are born spiritually dead to God. God will not dwell in the realm of death. He is the Author of life.

Lord Jesus came that we might have abundant life (John 10:10). Indeed, Lord Jesus is the Life (John 14:6). He offers eternal life to those who believe (John 3:36)

Much is made of being saved by grace. Yes. Romans 5:10 tells us that we are saved by His Life. Grace = life of Christ.

We need the forgiveness of sins in order to be made right with God. We need much more that that if we are to live a life that pleases God. Sin/repent/confess/be cleansed is a cycle of defeat that is a blessing to no one. What we need is the power to live the life that we know we should be living.

The only Person ever to live the life that pleased God is Lord Jesus. He offers His own life to the believer so that we may have the power to live in a way pleasing to God.

The question remains the same as confronted Adam in Eden. Will we choose life? Or will we choose the knowledge of good and evil instead? Every Christian knows Lord Jesus to be the Way and the Truth. Every Christian will agree that the Lord Jesus is the Life, as stated in John 14:6. It is a shame that few Christians know the Lord Jesus as the Life in their experience.

In Adam, all die. Only in Christ shall all be made alive. If you are in Christ, then you are alive. The question then becomes, are you living by the principle of Good and Evil, trying to establish your own righteousness? Or are you depending on the Life of Christ within you to be all that you need to be but cannot be? The difference is stark. Only those who experience the Life of Christ know victory over sin, Satan and the world.

sportsfan

Dec 4, 2019
Cottonwood
✟20,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Recently, a poster questioned the concept of Original Sin. He/she quoted Ezekiel 18 as a counter argument. My view is that there is a great deal of support for the idea that people are born sinners. Much of Romans 5 can be seen as supporting the concept of original sin.

Let's allow that the doctrine of Original Sin is incorrect or at least, not proven. It still leaves humanity with an insoluble problem. God created Adam and Eve "good" but they were incomplete. That is apparent from the provision of two unique trees in the garden of Eden. There was the tree of Life and the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. God warned Adam that the fruit of the knowledge tree was deadly. There was no other restriction placed on Adam.

We know the sorry story. Eve was deceived by the Serpent and Adam chose to join in her disobedience. The history of the human race demonstrates just how bad Adam's decision turned out to be.

Now God warned Adam that he would die. Please note that God did not say, "Adam, I will kill you". Adam did not die physically. His soul did not die. He could still think, feel and choose. So what did God mean? What God referred to was the spirit of man. Man died spiritually. Death is not the end of existence. We can see from the Genesis account that man still existed. But the man and the woman immediately covered up and hid from God.

The next thing was that they pushed the blame elsewhere. Adam blamed God - it was Eve's fault and God gave him Eve. Eve blamed the Serpent. And so it has been since that terrible day. How often have unbelievers told us that they are good people, in spite of blindingly obvious sin in their lives.

God closed access to the Tree of Life. From that time on, man had to live only by the knowledge of Good and Evil.

There is a great deal more to say on this subject, but I realise that people do not like to read overly long dissertations. Congratulations if you've got this far!

The Lord Jesus told us why He came to this earth 2,000 years ago. Most Christian teaching focuses on forgiveness of sins. I believe that this emphasis is overblown and does a great disservice to God's people. It fails to address a fundamental problem. All people are born spiritually dead to God. God will not dwell in the realm of death. He is the Author of life.

Lord Jesus came that we might have abundant life (John 10:10). Indeed, Lord Jesus is the Life (John 14:6). He offers eternal life to those who believe (John 3:36)

Much is made of being saved by grace. Yes. Romans 5:10 tells us that we are saved by His Life. Grace = life of Christ.

We need the forgiveness of sins in order to be made right with God. We need much more that that if we are to live a life that pleases God. Sin/repent/confess/be cleansed is a cycle of defeat that is a blessing to no one. What we need is the power to live the life that we know we should be living.

The only Person ever to live the life that pleased God is Lord Jesus. He offers His own life to the believer so that we may have the power to live in a way pleasing to God.

The question remains the same as confronted Adam in Eden. Will we choose life? Or will we choose the knowledge of good and evil instead? Every Christian knows Lord Jesus to be the Way and the Truth. Every Christian will agree that the Lord Jesus is the Life, as stated in John 14:6. It is a shame that few Christians know the Lord Jesus as the Life in their experience.

In Adam, all die. Only in Christ shall all be made alive. If you are in Christ, then you are alive. The question then becomes, are you living by the principle of Good and Evil, trying to establish your own righteousness? Or are you depending on the Life of Christ within you to be all that you need to be but cannot be? The difference is stark. Only those who experience the Life of Christ know victory over sin, Satan and the world.

Great Post Aussie and I feel that Adam and Eve are great example as they chose to listen to a lie and thanks to them I have to deal with the fallout of their sin since brought into the world illness, wars, death. I am just glad that Jesus came to set us free from sin and death and he promised he was preparing a place for us and that in reality you can't lose your name from the Lamb's Book of Life but in my world of paranoid schizophrenia I see a blue light and I have fear but I am starting to come around to the truth despite these nightmares. I am starting to realize that I don't have the Mark of the Beast and that the Yellow Light is truly nothing people see the Holy Spirit in my life. They know my heart and it is never to worship Satan but Jesus and Jesus knows that it was my illness that caused me to bow to the Yellow Light. I realize that Satan has much better candidates to be a False prophet/Antichrist. Once your a Christian your saved by the blood and you can't lose the blood of Jesus the sun looking different and the knuckles is a hallucination. My cousin was telling me in the facility where she works clients are worried there soul is stolen but once you trust Jesus you can't have your soul stolen. Satan can't be in my heart and brain from a yellow light it isn't in the Bible. One day I will get to Heaven and I will ask God why he allowed me to see the Yellow Light/Cross there must be a reason God allowed me to get sick. Adam and Eve caused my sickness by their sin the Yellow Light wouldn't be a fair temptation anyway since Jesus doesn't warn about one and it isn't tangible like an Apple. I think that is why my parents are so calm is they realize the Yellow Light isn't blasphemy of the Holy Spirit nor is it the Mark of the Beast it isn't out yet as were under the new covenant and I don't think God would allow Satan to tempt a mentally ill person with the Mark or no mentally ill person would be in Heaven. I really wish Adam and Eve didn't sin my life would be less confusing. I am just glad from listening to scripture at night and praise music I realize that there is no yellow light mentioned which means it isn't real which means I am okay with God and truly in the Lamb's Book of Life Aussie great post.

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Sin is used in scripture as a verb and a noun.

For example, when the scripture says, "your sins have separated you from your God," this is sin used as a verb. the actions of sin has separated

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

For example, when the scripture says, "your sins have separated you from your God," this is sin used as a verb. the actions of sin has separated

Wrong button-will continue

When sin is used as a noun the definite article is used in the Greek and it becomes "the sin."

This is in reference to the origin of sin in identification such a person, place, or thing.

Rom. 5:12
12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

The first use of sin here is a noun, it has the definite article, the last use of sin is the verb.

What we have is original sin entered the world and all were made sinners (the act of sinning).

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As I was walking my dog through the park there was a Christian Church singing. I pondered the Christian emphasis on the redemptive blood of Christ. I began to think that it is not so much blood as it is the LOVE that brought it. The blood is symbolic and proof of the love of Jesus which is the love of God flowing through him. Without the love there would be no significance to the blood. It would be just like any blood. But now his blood signifies God's love and takes away sin because that love reorients us and gives us a new relationship with sin. We are no longer lost in it or gripped by it. Sin is almost insignificant in light of the love we share. Sins can be forgotten and we start over again and again as we try in good faith to be holy. There is power in the love.

Just a thought while walking Ruby.

Reactions: fhansen
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Great Post Aussie and I feel that Adam and Eve are great example as they chose to listen to a lie and thanks to them I have to deal with the fallout of their sin since brought into the world illness, wars, death. I am just glad that Jesus came to set us free from sin and death and he promised he was preparing a place for us and that in reality you can't lose your name from the Lamb's Book of Life but in my world of paranoid schizophrenia I see a blue light and I have fear but I am starting to come around to the truth despite these nightmares. I am starting to realize that I don't have the Mark of the Beast and that the Yellow Light is truly nothing people see the Holy Spirit in my life. They know my heart and it is never to worship Satan but Jesus and Jesus knows that it was my illness that caused me to bow to the Yellow Light. I realize that Satan has much better candidates to be a False prophet/Antichrist. Once your a Christian your saved by the blood and you can't lose the blood of Jesus the sun looking different and the knuckles is a hallucination. My cousin was telling me in the facility where she works clients are worried there soul is stolen but once you trust Jesus you can't have your soul stolen. Satan can't be in my heart and brain from a yellow light it isn't in the Bible. One day I will get to Heaven and I will ask God why he allowed me to see the Yellow Light/Cross there must be a reason God allowed me to get sick. Adam and Eve caused my sickness by their sin the Yellow Light wouldn't be a fair temptation anyway since Jesus doesn't warn about one and it isn't tangible like an Apple. I think that is why my parents are so calm is they realize the Yellow Light isn't blasphemy of the Holy Spirit nor is it the Mark of the Beast it isn't out yet as were under the new covenant and I don't think God would allow Satan to tempt a mentally ill person with the Mark or no mentally ill person would be in Heaven. I really wish Adam and Eve didn't sin my life would be less confusing. I am just glad from listening to scripture at night and praise music I realize that there is no yellow light mentioned which means it isn't real which means I am okay with God and truly in the Lamb's Book of Life Aussie great post.
Thanks for your kind words. You are standing firm and that gladdens my heart. The grace of God is sufficient, even in what seems to be impossible situations!

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Wrong button-will continue

When sin is used as a noun the definite article is used in the Greek and it becomes "the sin."

This is in reference to the origin of sin in identification such a person, place, or thing.

Rom. 5:12
12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

The first use of sin here is a noun, it has the definite article, the second use of sin is the verb.

What we have is original sin entered the world and all were made sinners (the act of sinning).
I would say this is a very good case for the sin nature of man.

• Agree
Reactions: Aussie Pete
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

You get no argument from me on that. But sin also kills. Even if an individual lives a "good" life by most standards, they are born dead to God. (Romans 5:12)

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
As I was walking my dog through the park there was a Christian Church singing. I pondered the Christian emphasis on the redemptive blood of Christ. I began to think that it is not so much blood as it is the LOVE that brought it. The blood is symbolic and proof of the love of Jesus which is the love of God flowing through him. Without the love there would be no significance to the blood. It would be just like any blood. But now his blood signifies God's love and takes away sin because that love reorients us and gives us a new relationship with sin. We are no longer lost in it or gripped by it. Sin is almost insignificant in light of the love we share. Sins can be forgotten and we start over again and again as we try in good faith to be holy. There is power in the love.

Just a thought while walking Ruby.
Without the shedding of blood, there is no possibility of forgiveness. The OT animal sacrifices were only covering up sin. The blood of Christ removes sin completely, as if it never happened. It is not some kind of symbol. God's love is demonstrated by the death of Christ and His power by the resurrection. Trying to be holy is futile. Lord Jesus implants His life within those who are born again so that His life produces in us all that God requires us to be.

Reactions: Jesus is YHWH
Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
You get no argument from me on that. But sin also kills. Even if an individual lives a "good" life by most standards, they are born dead to God. (Romans 5:12)
I believe we are all born dead to God, and it is the working of the Holy Spirit through the hearing of the Gospel to make us alive if we will only submit to the call.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sportsfan

Dec 4, 2019
Cottonwood
✟20,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for your kind words. You are standing firm and that gladdens my heart. The grace of God is sufficient, even in what seems to be impossible situations!

I have to Aussie I have to keep my faith in Jesus he has never failed me yet. I don't think the supernatural temptation with the Yellow Light was real since Jesus would warn about it in the Bible if there was a Yellow Light that gave the Mark of the Beast I truly believe now that I am schizophrenic and not a Holy Spirit blasphemer with the Mark. I do believe I mixed up Satan and Jesus but it was an accident and I was praying to Jesus when it happened and Jesus knows that the enemy knows that I fear blasphemy and I opened a window by falling for his yellow light but it isn't scriptural. Jesus would have a strong warning if you could get the Mark of the Beast from a Yellow Light.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Watch a sinful little kid throwing a fit so as to get what they want.

Hard to believe but, I don't think Jesus ever did that.
M-Bob

• Agree
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Without the shedding of blood, there is no possibility of forgiveness. The OT animal sacrifices were only covering up sin. The blood of Christ removes sin completely, as if it never happened. It is not some kind of symbol. God's love is demonstrated by the death of Christ and His power by the resurrection. Trying to be holy is futile. Lord Jesus implants His life within those who are born again so that His life produces in us all that God requires us to be.

How does physical blood remove moral sin? If not for the love that shed it?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

God is all powerful.
You can choose not to believe that.

There seems to be a problem.......

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
God is all powerful.
You can choose not to believe that.

There seems to be a problem.......
Could you give a bit more detail? I agree with you but I don't get your point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Could you give a bit more detail? I agree with you but I don't get your point.

There seems to be a disconnect. God is all powerful, wants us to be saved....
yet for some reason we don't have to believe it.

There seems to be a problem here...........sin.
An inherent base disconnect.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
There seems to be a disconnect. God is all powerful, wants us to be saved....
yet for some reason we don't have to believe it.

There seems to be a problem here...........sin.
An inherent base disconnect.
The first thing Adam and Eve did was to cover up and hide from God. Humanity has being doing the same ever since. We should not be surprised that most people reject Christ. We should be amazed that anyone receives Him. It takes a mighty work of the Holy Spirit, through the preaching of the gospel, to bring anyone to salvation.

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
FAQ: According to Jer 31:29-30 and Ezek 18:20, the father's guilt is not laid to the account of his posterity for the evil he has done. So then, how was it legal for God to condemn the entire human race to death for what Adam did?

A: According to Deut 5:1-3, Rom 4:15, Rom 5:13, and Gal 3:17, the laws of God do not have ex post facto jurisdiction; viz: they aren't retroactive. So at the time of the forbidden fruit incident, God was at liberty to impute the guilt of Adam's transgression to his entire posterity, which of course began with Eve seeing as how according to Gen 2:21-23, her flesh and bones were made of his flesh and bones. In effect; Eve was Adam's first child; and from her came everyone else. (Gen 3:20)
_

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
FAQ: According to Jer 31:29-30 and Ezek 18:20, the father's guilt is not laid to the account of his posterity for the evil he has done. So then, how was it legal for God to condemn the entire human race to death for what Adam did?

A: According to Deut 5:1-3, Rom 4:15, Rom 5:13, and Gal 3:17, the laws of God do not have ex post facto jurisdiction; viz: they aren't retroactive. So at the time of the forbidden fruit incident, God was at liberty to impute the guilt of Adam's transgression to his entire posterity, which of course began with Eve seeing as how according to Gen 2:21-23, her flesh and bones were made of his flesh and bones. In effect; Eve was Adam's first child; and from her came everyone else. (Gen 3:20)
_
The deeper issue is that Adam died spiritually to God. His dead nature was passed on to his offspring. Lord Jesus was the exception. He was born of a woman but conceived by the Holy Spirit. Lord Jesus did not inherit Adam's fallen nature.

Upvote 0