Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To this day, Christian baptism requires a person to solemnly" renounce the devil and all his works" and to accept exorcism. Rereading biblical and extra biblical accounts of angels, I learned first of all what many scholars have pointed out: that while angels often appear in the Hebrew Bible, Satan, along with other fallen angels or demonic beings, is virtually absent. Source: MY COPY of The Origin of Satan by Elaine Pagels, introduction xvi, Copyright 1995
So why does anyone even want to think there is a supernatural being such as a Satan that can never die and would have to be immortal if he was equal unto the angels and still lives after 6,000 years, when Luke says those that obtain resurrection Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels
Luke 20:34 And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage:
35 But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:
36 Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.
Where does that leave the Satan Theory?

I don't know what type of Christianity you reference by "Christian baptism" but that is a new one on me.

Christian baptism is where a sinner meets the Holy Spirit and a new creation is made.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
He is known by a number of names but the one that his followers call him is "Lucifer."

Lucifer is not Satan and never was Satan, just a translation of Morning Star that referred to a Babylonian king who was arrogant . It's clear if you era all of Isaiah 24 and not just cherry-pick and make assumptions on verses 12-15 like many do.

Upvote 0

AFrazier

Site Supporter
Apr 1, 2016
Mauldin, South Carolina
✟160,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
To this day, Christian baptism requires a person to solemnly" renounce the devil and all his works" and to accept exorcism. Rereading biblical and extra biblical accounts of angels, I learned first of all what many scholars have pointed out: that while angels often appear in the Hebrew Bible, Satan, along with other fallen angels or demonic beings, is virtually absent. Source: MY COPY of The Origin of Satan by Elaine Pagels, introduction xvi, Copyright 1995
So why does anyone even want to think there is a supernatural being such as a Satan that can never die and would have to be immortal if he was equal unto the angels and still lives after 6,000 years, when Luke says those that obtain resurrection Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels
Luke 20:34 And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage:
35 But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:
36 Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.
Virtually absent is not absent. And he is mentioned plenty in other forms, such as Leviathan and the serpent. He is also mentioned plenty in the New Testament. If Luke is going to be considered a viable source, then that same source, and those he drew from, all mention Satan. There is also plenty of psuedopigraphical literature in ancient Hebrew that mentions him.

Upvote 0

LadyCrosstalk

Aug 19, 2006
✟30,242.00
Faith
Christian
Lucifer is not Satan and never was Satan, just a translation of Morning Star that referred to a Babylonian king who was arrogant . It's clear if you era all of Isaiah 24 and not just cherry-pick and make assumptions on verses 12-15 like many do.

I wouldn't know since I pay little attention to the "dark side". I just stated the stock answers I was taught.

Upvote 0

FrankDux

Dec 12, 2016
USA
✟14,876.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
When God was creating the heavens and the earth, His tip of the list Archangel was Lucifer (Light Bearer). However, Lucifer desired the earth to be his own, so he rebelled against God, and God created a separate place for him that we call hell. Because Lucifer was no longer a light bearer, he became satan (the accuser of the brethren). I don't capitalize the first letter, because that give him too much respect.

o really ?

Is that why the old city seal of Jerusalem was the pentagram that represented the conjunctions of Venus ?

lol

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Virtually absent is not absent. And he is mentioned plenty in other forms, such as Leviathan and the serpent. He is also mentioned plenty in the New Testament. If Luke is going to be considered a viable source, then that same source, and those he drew from, all mention Satan. There is also plenty of psuedopigraphical literature in ancient Hebrew that mentions him.
And what is your source of spurious Pseudepigraphical writings (other than the canonical books and the Apocrypha) professing to be Biblical in character spurious or pseudonymous writings, especially Jewish writings ascribed to various biblical patriarchs and prophets? Why does Paul and Matthew sat that angels are immortal? 1Co 15:42 for they are equal unto the angels; in spirituality, purity and immortality; See Gill on Mat 22:30. But are as the angels of God in heaven; or, as in Luke, "are equal unto the angels"; and which he explains their immortality: "neither can they die any more"; no more than the angels can: for this must not be extended to everything; not in everything will the saints be like, or equal to the angels; they will not be incorporeal, as the angels are, but then, even their bodies will be spiritual, and in some respects, like spirits; they will not stand in any need of sustenance, by eating and drinking, any more than the angels; nor will there be any such things as marriage, and procreation of children among them, any more than among angels; for they "are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection": they will then appear to be the children of God by adopting grace, through their enjoying the adoption, even the redemption of their bodies; and possessing, in soul and body, the heavenly inheritance they are heirs of: indeed, the souls of the saints before the resurrection, during their separate state, are in some sense like the angels, to which may be applied those words of Maimonides (d), [GILL]
So where does that leave your immortal Satan angel if he cannot die and is immortal?

Upvote 0

mcarmichael

Novice
Sep 8, 2014
✟56,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When God was creating the heavens and the earth, His tip of the list Archangel was Lucifer (Light Bearer). However, Lucifer desired the earth to be his own, so he rebelled against God, and God created a separate place for him that we call hell. Because Lucifer was no longer a light bearer, he became satan (the accuser of the brethren). I don't capitalize the first letter, because that give him too much respect.
Right, because he was cursed in the garden of Eden right along with Adam and Eve, wasn't he?

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Untrue--read the first chapter of the Book of Job. Job has been called the oldest book of the Hebrew Bible by Hebrew scholars.
The book' of Job, too, describes the satan as a supernatural messenger, a member of God's royal court: But while Balaam's satan protects him from harm, Job's satan takes a more adversarial role. Here the Lord himself admits that the satan incited him to act against Job. (2:3 )..The story begins where the Satan appears as an angel, a "son of.God" -(ben'elohim), a term that, in Hebrew idiom, often means "one of the divine beings." Here this angel; the satan, comes with 'the rest of the heavenly Host; on the day appointed for them to "present themselves before the Lord.” When the Lord asks whence he comes, the satan answers, "From roaming on the earth, and walking up and down on it." Here the., storyteller plays on the similarity between the sound of the Hebrew satan and shut, the Hebrew word "to roam;" Suggestirig that the satan's special role,in the heavenly court is that of a kind of roving intelligence agent, like those whom many Jews of the time would have known—and detested—from the king of Persia's elaborate system of secret police and intelligence officers known as "the king's eye" or "the king'sear," those agents roamed the empire looking for signs of disloyalty among the people. God boasts to the satan about one of his most loyal subjects:Have you considered my servant Job, that there is no one like him on earth, a blessed and upright-man, who fears God and turns away from evil?"? The, satan then challenges the Lord to put Job to the test:(Job was written around (550 B.C.E.)
Source: MY BOOK Copyright 1995 The Origin of Satan, by Elaine Pagels
Then Job addresses those and says: Job_19:21 Have pity upon me, have pity upon me, O ye my friends; for the hand of God hath touched me.
Job 2:10 But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Right, because he was cursed in the garden of Eden right along with Adam and Eve, wasn't he?
Yep! And who created ALL things including the snake?
You must know that this God, in whom, alas, you have not yet come to believe, made both the snake along with the lower creatures, and the sun along with other exalted creatures. Moreover, among still more exalted creatures, not heavenly bodies, but spiritual beings, He has made what far surpasses the light of the sun, and what no carnal man can perceive, much less you, who, in your condemnation of flesh, condemn the very principle by which you determine good and evil. For your only idea of evil is from the disagreeableness of some things to the fleshly sense; and your only idea of good is from sensual gratification.
BOOK XXI,] TWO PRINCIPLES 383 -386 REPLY TO FAUSTUS THE MANICHAEN

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
  • Satan appears 49x in the Bible.
  • Demons, the offspring of angels appears 45x in the Bible
  • The reason why we find no mention of Fallen Angels is that it is a modern word. In the Bible they are known as the sons of God, chief princes, powers, thrones, dominions, angels that left their former estate, wandering stars, falling stars etc.
  • You cannot distinguish between what God does in mercy and what He does in judgment, because you can neither understand nor use the words of our Psalter " I will sing of mercy and judgment unto Thee, 0 Lord." Accordingly, whatever in the feebleness of your frail humanity seems amiss to you, you separate entirely from the will and judgment of God : for you are provided with another evil god, not by a discovery of truth, but by an invention of folly ; and to this god you attribute not only what you do unjustly, but also what you suffer justly. Thus you assign to God the bestowal of blessings, and take from Him the infliction of judgments, as if He of whom Christ says that He has prepared everlasting fire for the wicked were a different being from Him who makes His sun to rise upon the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. Why do you not understand that this great goodness and great severity belong to one God, but because you have not learned to sing of mercy and judgment Is not He who causes the sun to rise on the evil and good and sends rain on the just and the unjust, the same who also breaks off the natural branches, and engrafts contrary to nature the wild olive tree ? Rom i. 24, 25, 28. John ix. 39. Ps. Xxxvi. 6 Rom xi. 23. Ps ci. 1
So you think snakes are made by en evil being; while you consider the sun so great a good, that you believe it to be not the creature of God, but an emission from His substance. You must know that the this God, in whom, alas, you have not yet come to believe, made both the snake along with the lower creatures, and the sun along with other exalted creatures. Moreover, among still more exalted creatures, not heavenly bodies, but spiritual beings, He has made what far surpasses the light of the sun, and what no carnal man can perceive, much less you, who, in your condemnation of flesh, condemn the very principle by which you determine good and evil. BOOK XXI,] TWO PRINCIPLES 383 -386 REPLY TO FAUSTUS THE MANICHAEN

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I once explained to a cousin that Satan is a god and he accused me of showing Satan too much respect. I guess if you aren't haranguing with bloodshot eyes and red in the face and yelling condemnations against the Devil when discussing him you will be considered suspect. I just had one of my explanations about that abominable beast sarcastically tagged as being friendly.

Reactions: Gojira323
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Is it true or false that the enemy is jealous of our salvation? Some Christians believe it, others don't.

He hates man and wishes for our destruction because God loves us.

Reactions: Waggles
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
So its not his real name?

People argue whether or not if Hebrew is really the heavenly/pre babel language.

No it is his description. HaSatan is the accuser or adversary.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
OP: Origin of Satan...Q: the Satan Theory?
A: He is a REAL spirit being, NOT a "Theory".

A. NAMES: satan = devil = fallen Lucifer = serpent = dragon ...and his mission / purpose is clearly described in the Bible.

he is:

1. creature...(Ezek 28:14)
2. spirit being...(Eph. 6:11-12)
3. highest angelic order ...(Ezek 28:12-14)

His Personality / Character:

1. murderer...(John 8:44)
2. liar...(John 8:44)
3. confirmed sinner...( 1 John 3:8 )
4. accuser...(Rev 12:10)
5. adversary...(1 Pet 5:8)
AND...“ruler of demons” (Matt. 9:34; ...“the ruler of this world” (Jn. 12:31; 14:30; 16:11),
Mk. 3:22), “the prince of the power of air” (Eph. 2:2),
“the tempter” (Matt. 4:3; 1 Thess. 3:5).

The remainder of the unholy 3:

B. beast = anti-christ = man of lawlessness = 666
c. false prophet = anti-spirit

Revelation 20:10
And the "devil" who deceived them was thrown into the "lake of fire" and brimstone,
where the "beast" and the "false prophet" are also;
and they (3) will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

1 John 3:8 (all NASB)
... for the devil has sinned from the beginning (Eden).
The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil.

1 John 4:4
You are from God, little children, and have overcome them;(devil/followers)
because greater is He who is in you (God the Holy Spirit) than he who is in the world (kosmos).(satan)

Revelation 12:9
And the great dragon was thrown down,
(from heaven)
the serpent of old who is called the devil and satan, who deceives the whole world;
he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels (demons) were thrown down with him.

Revelation 20:2
And he laid hold of the dragon, the serpent of old, who is the devil and Satan,
and bound him for a thousand years;

The very names and descriptions used to describe satan in the New Testament reveal his evil character.
satan is called “Abaddon” (Rev. 9:11) or “Appollyon” (Rev. 9:11) meaning “the destroyer.”

He is the “devil” (Matt. 4:1, 5; 25:41; Jn. 6:70; 13:2; Eph. 4:27; 6:11; 1 Tim. 3:6, 7),

the accuser of the brethren” (12:10; Ps. 109:6), and our “adversary” (1 Peter 5:8).

He is called “Beelzebul” (Matt. 12:24; Mk. 3:22), and “Belial” (2 Cor. 6:15).

He is “the deceiver of the whole world” (Rev. 2:9),

the great dragon” (Rev. 12:9), ...“the ancient serpent” (Rev. 12:9)

and an enemy” (Matt. 13:28-29).

He is the “evil one” (13:19, 39; Jn. 17:5; 1 Jn. 2:13-14),

the father of lies” and “liar” (Jn. 8:44),

the “god of this world (osmos)” (2 Cor. 4:4),

Genesis 3: The Prophesy of the "seed" of woman
14 The Lord God said to the serpent,

“Because you have done this,
Cursed are you more than all cattle,
And more than every beast of the field;
On your belly you will go,
And dust you will eat
All the days of your life;
15 And I will put enmity
Between you and the woman,
And between your seed and her "seed"; (Women have eggs!)
He (Jesus) shall bruise you on the head, (death blow)
And you shall bruise Him on the heel.” (bloody crucifixion)

murderer” (Jn. 8:44),

ruler of demons” (Matt. 9:34; ...“the ruler of this world” (Jn. 12:31; 14:30; 16:11),

Mk. 3:22), “the prince of the power of air” (Eph. 2:2),

the tempter” (Matt. 4:3; 1 Thess. 3:5).

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Untrue--read the first chapter of the Book of Job. Job has been called the oldest book of the Hebrew Bible by Hebrew scholars.

Only by those who don't pay attention to style and language. The subject of Job is portrayed as before Moses, but the writing of the book is much later.

Upvote 0

Waggles

Acts 2:38
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
South Oz
Visit site
✟112,244.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
Seems to be a lot of confusion and some very muddled doctrines in your OP.
1. I have never known of a water baptism ceremony that you describe.
New converts confess their faith in Jesus as their Lord and God and their Saviour. They are asked if they
believe that Jesus died for them for the remission of their sins and that he rose from death to give them
new life in him. Words to that effect. Confessing the gospel of salvation.

Satan, along with other fallen angels or demonic beings, is virtually absent.
Perhaps you should actually read the Bible for your truth and information.
My copy of Nave's Topical Bible (1979 ed) page 1238 SATAN has several pages of scriptures under this heading. There are many many verses pertaing to Lucifer, Satan, serpent, Morning Star, dragon, the devil, demons, adversary, evil one, murderer, liar ...
Even Jesus himself spoke of Satan directly: John 8:44
There are no shortages of scriptures directly referring to Satan, demons and the Devil.
"Set thou a wicked man over him: and let Satan stand at his right hand."
Psalm 109:6
Also look up in your Nave's Topical Bible the subject headings for SIN and for EVIL.
Again you will see how these verses also embrace the concept of Satan, rebellion and self-will.

Angels are eternal. And we as believers and disciples of Jesus have faith in our future immortality
when we are transformed from flesh to angelic beings.
So obviously if angels do not die then Satan and his fallen brethren (demons, etc.) have existed since
the beginning from when they were created by God.
That is why in the end Satan will be condemned to an eternal place of damnation - because spiritual
beings do not die in the sense that we mere mortals know of death...
"And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and
the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
Revelation 20:10

Upvote 0

Waggles

Acts 2:38
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
South Oz
Visit site
✟112,244.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
1 And they came over unto the other side of the sea, into the country of the Gadarenes.
2 And when he was come out of the ship, immediately there met him out of the tombs a man with
an unclean spirit,
3 Who had his dwelling among the tombs; and no man could bind him, no, not with chains:
4 Because that he had been often bound with fetters and chains, and the chains had been plucked asunder by him, and the fetters broken in pieces: neither could any man tame him.
5 And always, night and day, he was in the mountains, and in the tombs, crying, and cutting himself
with stones.
6 But when he saw Jesus afar off, he ran and worshipped him,
7 And cried with a loud voice, and said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of the most high God? I adjure thee by God, that thou torment me not.
8 For he [Jesus] said unto him, Come out of the man, thou unclean spirit.
9 And he asked him, What is thy name? And he answered, saying, My name is Legion: for we
are many.

10 And he besought him much that he would not send them away out of the country.
11 Now there was there nigh unto the mountains a great herd of swine feeding.
12 And all the devils besought him, saying, Send us into the swine, that we may enter into them.
13 And forthwith Jesus gave them leave. And the unclean spirits went out, and entered into the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the sea, (they were about two thousand)
and were choked in the sea.
14 And they that fed the swine fled, and told it in the city, and in the country. And they went out to see what it was that was done.
15 And they come to Jesus, and see him that was possessed with the devil, and had the legion, sitting, and clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid.
16 And they that saw it told them how it befell to him that was possessed with the devil,
and also concerning the swine.
17 And they began to pray him to depart out of their coasts.
18 And when he was come into the ship, he that had been possessed with the devil prayed him that he might be with him.
19 Howbeit Jesus suffered him not, but saith unto him, Go home to thy friends, and tell them how great things the Lord hath done for thee, and hath had compassion on thee.
20 And he departed, and began to publish in Decapolis how great things Jesus had done for him:
and all men did marvel.
Mark 5:1-20

Upvote 0