Organizers Shut Down 'My Little Pony' convention in Moscow, as Russian Police Raid Event for "LGBTQ+ propaganda"

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So Russia is only partially based. Quasi-based? Not sure what the right word would be. "Half-based." Thats my candidate. As in: "Dont do anything half-based, the revered Ayatollah used to say."

Based is all a bunch of RW online "bro" talk.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,142.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So Russia is only partially based. Quasi-based? Not sure what the right word would be. "Half-based." Thats my candidate. As in: "Dont do anything half-based, the revered Ayatollah used to say."
No. Again, as I said, there's a dilemma. There needs to be balance, and sometimes there's a fine line that needs to be walked. But in a world where most people cower in fear over being called [insert your pet word]-phobic, it's enough just to speak up to be "based".

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,142.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Soon it will be a quaint as "all your based are belong to us", and we'll have to find a new hip code word.
Well, I look forward to the day when "woke" is returned to its rightful place as a past tense verb.

On second thought, maybe not. It's probably better when code words help you to know your enemy.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Well, I look forward to the day when "woke" is returned to its rightful place as a past tense verb.

On second thought, maybe not. It's probably better when code words help you to know your enemy.
It may take on a life of its own. Like "gay".

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
"Woke" has been used in political context for more than 50 years. Back then it was about staying aware of the political situation.
At this point "woke" is more of a RW word. Exactly what is "woke" and what is not, but it is some sort of grab-bag of things RWers don't like in politics or culture.

Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,323.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
No. Again, as I said, there's a dilemma. There needs to be balance, and sometimes there's a fine line that needs to be walked. But in a world where most people cower in fear over being called [insert your pet word]-phobic, it's enough just to speak up to be "based".

Most people? I have not seen anyone cower from this except maybe some on the left who fear not being seen as progressive enough. Certainly have not seen many on the right who appear overly bothered by it, let alone "cower" from it.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,142.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It may take on a life of its own. Like "gay".
I'm personally involved in a lifelong boycott of that Christmas song where they don gay apparel. I don't want to be. It shouldn't have to be this way. It's sad. Tragic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,142.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
"Woke" has been used in political context for more than 50 years. Back then it was about staying aware of the political situation.
I didn't say otherwise. And it was just as stupid back then.
At this point "woke" is more of a RW word. Exactly what is "woke" and what is not, but it is some sort of grab-bag of things RWers don't like in politics or culture.
Of course it's more of an RW word - because it's been successfully mocked enough by people like me that even the LW recognizes it's stupid and is ashamed of it and wants to abandon it. But we're not going to let them off the hook that easily...

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,142.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Most people? I have not seen anyone cower from this except maybe some on the left who fear not being seen as progressive enough. Certainly have not seen many on the right who appear overly bothered by it, let alone "cower" from it.
Don't get around much, do you? But I will agree with you that the left has to fear the left just as the rest of us.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,323.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Don't get around much, do you?
I travel a fair bit but I admit I do not get into more conservative areas of late. Do you see large swaths of people who are incredibly afraid of being negatively labeled?

But I will agree with you that the left has to fear the left just as the rest of us.
I think they have more to fear. I hear tales of people being castigated and losing their circle of friends. Virtue signaling gone feral.

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,157.00
Faith
Christian
I'm personally involved in a lifelong boycott of that Christmas song where they don gay apparel. I don't want to be. It shouldn't have to be this way. It's sad. Tragic.

Gotta admit I had to google this.
Obviously I don't know my carols very well - I thought you must be talking about the Steve Kardynal version of "All I Want For Christmas"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,142.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I travel a fair bit but I admit I do not get into more conservative areas of late. Do you see large swaths of people who are incredibly afraid of being negatively labeled?
"of late"? The formulation of cancel culture goes back at least to the 1970's. That's how people like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton got rich and famous, with Mafia-style tactics of "strong-arming" or extorting companies with threats of getting them negatively labeled.
I think they have more to fear. I hear tales of people being castigated and losing their circle of friends. Virtue signaling gone feral.
I heard of Joseph Stalin sending two missions halfway around the world in order to kill Trotsky with an ice pick, so yeah, if you're a Leftist, better keep an eye on your fellow Leftists.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,323.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
"of late"? The formulation of cancel culture goes back at least to the 1970's. That's how people like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton got rich and famous, with Mafia-style tactics of "strong-arming" or extorting companies with threats of getting them negatively labeled.

Okay then. You have fun with that.
I heard of Joseph Stalin sending two missions halfway around the world in order to kill Trotsky with an ice pick, so yeah, if you're a Leftist, better keep an eye on your fellow Leftists.
1708980798653.gif

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,558.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Did the mean gay people take away a favorite word?

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,142.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Did the mean gay people take away a favorite word?
Loaded question. I don't know if they were mean, but they certainly did commandeer the word.

Interesting side note: many New Atheists wanted to commandeer the word "bright". They want to be called brights rather than atheists (I'm not making this up). So far it doesn't seem to have caught on, and I hope it doesn't because there's that other Christmas song that says "may your days be merry and bright", and I'd have to cross that song off my list too.

Upvote 0