Organizers Shut Down 'My Little Pony' convention in Moscow, as Russian Police Raid Event for "LGBTQ+ propaganda"

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Loaded question. I don't know if they were mean, but they certainly did commandeer the word.

Interesting side note: many New Atheists wanted to commandeer the word "bright". They want to be called brights rather than atheists (I'm not making this up). So far it doesn't seem to have caught on, and I hope it doesn't because there's that other Christmas song that says "may your days be merry and bright", and I'd have to cross that song off my list too.
That's all very hard on the semi=literate who struggle with the idea that a word can have more than one meaning depending on the context.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,740.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That's all very hard on the semi=literate who struggle with the idea that a word can have more than one meaning depending on the context.
Okay well then, I propose to replace the word Christian with "intelligent", therefore everyone who isn't Christian is unintelligent.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Loaded question. I don't know if they were mean, but they certainly did commandeer the word.

Interesting side note: many New Atheists wanted to commandeer the word "bright". They want to be called brights rather than atheists (I'm not making this up). So far it doesn't seem to have caught on, and I hope it doesn't because there's that other Christmas song that says "may your days be merry and bright", and I'd have to cross that song off my list too.

From what I can remember, a lot of atheists didn't want to use that term themselves. Too much unneeded baggage.

I don't really care for people who frequently use the term "woke" be it positively or negatively. Typically two types of bad people in my opinion.

Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Did the mean gay people take away a favorite word?
gay means happy, cheerful. and I personally love that Christmas song...don't know why anyone would be against it *shrug*

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,740.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
From what I can remember, a lot of atheists didn't want to use that term themselves. Too much unneeded baggage.
Hmm, I don't really see any baggage associated with the word bright. I think people just realized it was stupid and a blatant copycatting of what homosexuals did.
I don't really care for people who frequently use the term "woke" be it positively or negatively. Typically two types of bad people in my opinion.
Two types of bad people? The woke crowd is who adopted and popularized the word. I guess they thought it sounded really cool, man. Well they made their bed and now they can lie in it. I will continue to use the word without a shred of guilt.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hmm, I don't really see any baggage associated with the word bright. I think people just realized it was stupid and a blatant copycatting of what homosexuals did.

The baggage being a lot of people don't want to be associated with a movement that implies that they're smarter than others. Same problem with woke really.. Both terms can come across as arrogant.

Two types of bad people? The woke crowd is who adopted and popularized the word. I guess they thought it sounded really cool, man. Well they made their bed and now they can lie in it. I will continue to use the word without a shred of guilt.

Use it all you want. I originally wanted to use the term mockingly too; but unfortunately, it's now more culturally associated with the right using it for everything they don't like with little real thought behind it. If I were to use the term mockingly now, it would just paint an inaccurate picture of my own politics.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,740.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The baggage being a lot of people don't want to be associated with a movement that implies that they're smarter than others. Same problem with woke really.. Both terms can come across as arrogant.

Use it all you want. I originally wanted to use the term mockingly too; but unfortunately, it's now more culturally associated with the right using it for everything they don't like with little real thought behind it. If I were to use the term mockingly now, it would just paint an inaccurate picture of my own politics.
Okay, fair enough. I'm just a little slow to change. For example, when my white friends are acting up, I still call them "jive turkeys".

Upvote 0