Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I just watched the replay of it on the O'Reily Factor.

Mr. Donahue is wrong on one big topic. He repeatedly says that "we are sending young men and women to Iraq and thus needlessly exposing them to death or injury.

I strongly disagree with this because everyone in the military is there of their own free will, no one was "sent there" such as during Vietnam when we had the draft. No has been forced into the military, and to accuse someone of not "sending their kids to war" is an incredibly foolish and ignorant thing to say.

As a liberal Democrat I was surprised to find myself in agrement with O'Reilly, but Donahue's position is really extreme.

Upvote 0

Smoke Screen

America Can Do Better!
Jul 10, 2005
Near Seattle
✟10,227.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Crusader05 said:

Mr. Donahue is wrong on one big topic. He repeatedly says that "we are sending young men and women to Iraq and thus needlessly exposing them to death or injury.

I strongly disagree with this because everyone in the military is there of their own free will, no one was "sent there" such as during Vietnam when we had the draft. No has been forced into the military, and to accuse someone of not "sending their kids to war" is an incredibly foolish and ignorant thing to say.

As a liberal Democrat I was surprised to find myself in agrement with O'Reilly, but Donahue's position is really extreme.

I agree with most of what Donahue said. When he said, "we are sending young men and women to Iraq and thus needlessly exposing them to death or injury," I think he was referring to the means in which the war in Iraq was started. Sending them to Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11 and thus was "needlessly exposing them to death or injury." There was no reason to invade Iraq. Iraq was not a threat to America.

Not everyone was sent to Iraq on their own free will. What about those called up on Stop Loss (aka "backdoor draft)? They served their time, yet were sent to Iraq for who knows how long. Many against their own free will.

I have a friend who was called up on Stop Loss after serving four years in the military. He was stationed in Mosul, Iraq for over one year and barely survived the mess hall attacks. He is a gunner and rolled his Stryker vehicle on two separate occasions after hitting roadside bombs. The first roadside bomb he hit, his vehicle ran off the road and overturned in a canal. If it wasn't for his buddies, he would have drowned. If you were to talk to him, I guarantee he'd tell you he had not choice in the matter, and had to go to Iraq not on his own free will. Thankfully, he'll be coming home soon!

Upvote 0

Crusader05

Veteran
Jan 23, 2005
Omaha, NE
✟22,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You make a good point about Stop Loss, the situation is never 100% cut-and-dried.

Nevertheless, those who join the military know full well that they may be in combat someday.

I agree that this was a war of choice and has been terribly mismanaged dispite the best efforts of our military leadership.

Upvote 0

Smoke Screen

America Can Do Better!
Jul 10, 2005
Near Seattle
✟10,227.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Crusader05 said:
You make a good point about Stop Loss, the situation is never 100% cut-and-dried.

Nevertheless, those who join the military know full well that they may be in combat someday.

I agree that this was a war of choice and has been terribly mismanaged dispite the best efforts of our military leadership.

Like many other soldiers, my friend joined the military to protect and fight for America, not invade and occupy a sovereign country.

Upvote 0

Crusader05

Veteran
Jan 23, 2005
Omaha, NE
✟22,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Like many other soldiers, my friend joined the military to protect and fight for America, not invade and occupy a sovereign country."

Again, you make a valid point.

btw, I love the Limbaugh quote, how deliciously ironic.

Upvote 0

Smoke Screen

America Can Do Better!
Jul 10, 2005
Near Seattle
✟10,227.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Crusader05 said:
"Like many other soldiers, my friend joined the military to protect and fight for America, not invade and occupy a sovereign country."

Again, you make a valid point.

btw, I love the Limbaugh quote, how deliciously ironic.

LOL! It's a classic! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

zoink

:-)
Apr 13, 2004
West of the rockies
✟1,969.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Smoke Screen said:
LOL! It's a classic! :thumbsup:

boondocks.jpg

http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/limbaugh2.asp

Sincerely,
zoink

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

u2bonoman

Sep 19, 2005
Mocksville, NC
✟180.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Smoke Screen said:
Lol! Ok...

Lol is right. It was funny seeing O'Reilly stomp down Donahue's liberal nonsense.

In fact, I'd venture to say Bill was too easy on him. After the disrespect he showed Bill's nephew's service, and then going on to 'basically' say that anyone who supports the war is saying they don't mind sending our troops over to be killed?? I would have got security on him, and kicked his......:holy: well, I would have prayed for him. :D

Upvote 0

Smoke Screen

America Can Do Better!
Jul 10, 2005
Near Seattle
✟10,227.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
u2bonoman said:
Lol is right. It was funny seeing O'Reilly stomp down Donahue's liberal nonsense.

In fact, I'd venture to say Bill was too easy on him. After the disrespect he showed Bill's nephew's service, and then going on to 'basically' say that anyone who supports the war is saying they don't mind sending our troops over to be killed?? I would have got security on him, and kicked his......:holy: well, I would have prayed for him. :D

LOL! Donahue totally put the smack on "Billy." He didn't back down to O'Reilly's boisterous taunts. When O'Reilly would interrupt Donahue, Phil, stuck to his guns and fired back. All O'Reilly could do is yell and point his finger and try to act tough. I liked how he tried to make Iraq sound like a "terrorist state." Donahue said "Saddam was a ba$tard, but he was our ba$tard." All O'Reilly could say was that Saddam was a "swell guy." O'Reilly didn't even talk about what made Iraq a terrorist state. When Donahue brought up the picture taken with Rumsfeld shaking hands with Saddam in the 80's, O'Reilly shook his head and quietly said "allright, that's great." He had nothing to respond back to Donahue with.

Now comes the nephew part. Donahue said, "Now listen, you wouldn't send your children into this war Bill." The only thing O'Reilly could do was bring up his nephew's military service to include in his argument and tell Donahue he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. Then Phil said, "Congratulations, he's..." Then O'Reilly cuts him off and says in a whiny voice, "Yeah and he's a patriot so don't denegrate his service or I'll boot you right off the set." I liked Donahue's comment back to O'Reilly: In a calm parental tone, he said, "I'm not Jeremy Glick Billy. You can't intimidate me. I'm not somebody you can just spew all your loud...(Cut off)." Donahue said, "Your nephew is not your kid. (O'Reilly cut him off and said "He is my blood") You are part of a loud group of people who want to prove they are tough and send other peoples kids (Right here, O'Reilly is very flustered and said "Oh right" as he angrily looks down) to war to make the case." O'Reilly changes the subject by telling Donahue he has no clue on how to fight the war on terror. Where in this little segment did Donahue disrespect Bill's nephew's service? Donahue never said anything in that segment to disrespect Bill's nephew. What were you referring to?

Donahue totally had most of this 8 minute segment under control and treated "Billy" like he was a school kid. At the end, Billy had to back off from his stance on the Iraq War and say "The Iraq War is not something I embrace. It absolutely could be a tactical error. Optional war. And we have not waged it the way I had hoped we would have waged it." O'Reilly got whipped on this one. Maybe O'Reilly should have called security on Donahue, it would have saved him some embarrassment from getting schooled by a "Liberal."

Upvote 0

ballfan

Sep 6, 2005
NC
✟10,568.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Donahue never said anything in that segment to disrespect Bill's nephew. What were you referring to?

Its probably lucky for him that he didn't. He was warned not to right off. O'Reilly would have probably knocked his head off.

But thats often the way it is with people like Donahue. In a crowd where he has some protection he is liable to make about any iggnorant statement he can think of. One on one within arms reach he will be more careful especially if he knows what the consequences might be. Typical coward.

Upvote 0

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Crusader05 said:

Our troops are not in Iraq "of their own free will." Not even by the loosest definitons and interpretations of that phrase.

Just because it is a voluntary military that doesn't mean we justify how the troops are used based on that...and in fact, without exception, when we have to resort to pointing that out, it illuminates how we are using them is dishonoring to their voluntary service.

Donohue was foolish for trying to personalize the "send your kids" and he should have known Billy has a nephew in the military.

Billy did lie when he accused Glick of accusing the President for orchestrating 9/11...Glick never said that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
u2bonoman said:
I'm always happy to see Bill O'Reilly put someone in their place. Donahue's an arrogant jerk, with absolutely no respect. Great segment.

Even with all the mistakes Donohue made, Billy completely lost. He is the most disrespectful media person (along w/ Moore, Coulter, and Hannity) I have ever seen.

Whenever someone says something that Billy knows he can't defend he interrupts the person or tells them to "shut up."

Upvote 0

Smoke Screen

America Can Do Better!
Jul 10, 2005
Near Seattle
✟10,227.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ballfan said:
Its probably lucky for him that he didn't. He was warned not to right off. O'Reilly would have probably knocked his head off.

But thats often the way it is with people like Donahue. In a crowd where he has some protection he is liable to make about any iggnorant statement he can think of. One on one within arms reach he will be more careful especially if he knows what the consequences might be. Typical coward.

And that's the way it is with people like O'Reilly. The guy lacks the intelligence to have a debate with substance, so he has to act like a bully, yell at people, lie, and cut them off when they are in the middle of burning him. For them to fight would have ended O'Reilly's career, which could have been a positive in the end. I'd gladly take one in the chin to get that lying fool off the air!

Upvote 0

Jacey

WinJace
Jan 12, 2004
Atlanta
Visit site
✟5,805.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
ballfan said:

Oh get off it. O'Reilly is a pompous loudmouth and that's it. Donahue doesn't disrespect those in service so why would he want to denigrate O'Reilly's nephew, that's stupid.

Coward my rear. Donahue said what he thought, good on him.

Upvote 0

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Smoke Screen said:
And that's the way it is with people like O'Reilly. The guy lacks the intelligence to have a debate with substance, so he has to act like a bully, yell at people, lie, and cut them off when they are in the middle of burning him. For them to fight would have ended O'Reilly's career, which could have been a positive in the end. I'd gladly take one in the chin to get that lying fool off the air!

Save the chin...plenty more in line right behind him sitting at the make-up counter just waiting for a chance. :)

Upvote 0