Towson
✟16,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello. I'd love your input. At first, I posted this as a reply within an existing thread I found where so many are already connected re the subject about which I would like counsel. However, it occurred to me that I should also post my own thread, to increase the odds of getting a reply and also in case the thread I was in might have been closed to new replies. I'd love it if you all could please weigh in as to whether my conclusion (below) is appropriate. I feel it is, but still would like to seek counsel in the brethren as part of due diligence. It's a long story, and there is so much more to it than just what I've written below, as I'm sure any of us can relate, but for the purposes of what I'm asking I'll condense it:

I was called by God 15 years ago. He gave me many visions during prayer, about which I spoke to many different clergy, who all agreed that the experience was and messages were authentic. Clergy of various denominations, and non-denominational ones, literally just began appearing into my social life and suddenly I was interacting with them pretty much daily. I went into spiritual direction to help process the whole thing for about 4 years. In the middle of that, I joined a Holy Order as a lay affiliate for about 7 years (was Episcopalean / Anglican at the time, but have since moved out of that and into the non-denominational church). I read and read about theology, theological history, the Bible, and prayed all the time. God told me distinctly that I was to be priest and perform all the things that the Apostles had done and speak words of knowledge to people that He would give me that no one could possibly know, in an effort to make Himself abundantly clear to them. Later, that word kept pressing and I told him I couldn't possibly afford all the money and further years of study in seminary that would be involved in waiting to be ordained and needed His help. He told me that I was to minister but not to go to seminary. Meanwhile, I'd moved across the country to follow the secular work aspect of my calling, as He wanted to use me in that as well, and found a small church group there. I spoke to the minister about this conundrum and he explained that I could enter into discipleship with him, through his church, for eventual ordination. I did that, and essentially functioned as both a pastoral assistant and associate pastor. However, that pastor fell into a form of apostasy. After trying various unsuccessful attempts to address that, I had to disinvolve myself there. God told me at various churches I visited that I should be preaching and, when in prayer, He said that I was already ordained of Him and needn't any more processing - that any papers to legitimize me legally with men and the world were just a technicality and to move forward. Literally right after that, when attending a different church in my search for a new one, an elder who prayed over me got and gave me the same word! The only way I could figure to move forward was through some sort of online ordination, but I was concerned that would appear less authentic or fake and ultimately not be recognized, and didn't know how to really verify some online organizations, and had other, similar concerns. Then, my mother developed problems causing me to move back east to help her, which was a full-time job, and is now a part-time one. I searched here for a church like the one lie the one I'd been part of on the west cast but the only suitable places I've found don't have the ordination process/ option. (This state is difficult, faithwise - a small number of Bible-based churches in a small state that is otherwise a small sea of fairly rampant secularism.)

So, the notion has again come into my mind that I should just stop waiting for approval and just do it. Thus, the online certificates method has come up for me again. Now, especially with all that is happening, I feel like I should get over those concerns, get some sort of online cert. through whatever site seems the most legit to me and/ or recommended by others and just do it and move on. Does this sound right to any of you? Please let me know ASAP as I feel like I need to move on this quickly after so long.

Thank you and God bless!

Robbio

Mar 31, 2020
Towson
✟16,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
How many churches have you attended during this time, and what is the longest you have been at one church?

Hi. Well, I assume that by "in this time," you mean since this calling. I've attended many, sometimes while searching, such as when I moved across the country and/ or changed from a denomination to non-denominational, and sometimes just to be with other Christians on occasion or to hear a visiting minister preach, etc., which I found worthwhile and enriching. As for primary church membership, though. I attended the same Episcopal church for essentially my entire life up to the point of the calling and for several years thereafter, until I moved out of state. (I was raised in it, and then left the church entirely for a secular sojourn that lasted roughly 15 years, and returned to the same church after that. So, all told, that was about 24 years at that church.) When I moved out west, I went to an episcopal church I found there for a couple of years before shifting out of Episcopaleanism. (I had tried very hard to maintain a place in the Episcopal church and do what I could to help and be useful and hopefully stem the tide of rampant secularism within it, rather than leave and insodoing participate in yet another division. However, I eventually had to leave because that denomination reached a point where it no longer had any room for the Biblical views I'd embraced about various subjects, and had instead abandoned such in favor of those wrong and secular beliefs.) I also left the Anglican Holy Order that I was a lay member of, accordingly, for the same reasons and also because part-and-parcel to the process I'd become disillusioned about so much ritual and religiousness. (Upon leaving, I wrote them about these things in the hope that it might move one or more of the members there.) While searching for a new church for a year or so, I joined a Bible study that was conducted at a Christian friend's home (attended that for about three years ), and then found and became part of that small church I mentioned in my post. I was involved there for a little over a year and a half, all-in. Then, the aforementioned (in my post) problem happened, and I ultimately moved on to another non-denominational church run by a friend of the minister who led the Bible Study, where I stayed involved actively for about a year, only leaving because I had to return home to help my mom. After returning east, I searched for a new church, eventually finding the one I've been a part of for the better part of a year now. In the meantime, I attended my old church, mainly for my mom's sake, as she wouldn't entertain any other church. I still go there to some extent because I figure it's better to keep her involved in a place where they at least have Bibles, whereas without my participation she would go less and less, if at all. It's also a place of shared history and social connection and neighborly camaraderie, which makes it a good place for her and myself in ways other than spiritual - sort of like staying on good terms with old friends you no longer agree with. However, for me, it is not really much of a spiritual connection, whereas the non-denominational church, and the small group I'm in there as well, are.

Upvote 0

Robbio

Mar 31, 2020
Towson
✟16,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi. Well, I assume that by "in this time," you mean since this calling. I've attended many, sometimes while searching, such as when I moved across the country and/ or changed from a denomination to non-denominational, and sometimes just to be with other Christians on occasion or to hear a visiting minister preach, etc., which I found worthwhile and enriching. As for primary church membership, though. I attended the same Episcopal church for essentially my entire life up to the point of the calling and for several years thereafter, until I moved out of state. (I was raised in it, and then left the church entirely for a secular sojourn that lasted roughly 15 years, and returned to the same church after that. So, all told, that was about 24 years at that church.) When I moved out west, I went to an episcopal church I found there for a couple of years before shifting out of Episcopaleanism. (I had tried very hard to maintain a place in the Episcopal church and do what I could to help and be useful and hopefully stem the tide of rampant secularism within it, rather than leave and insodoing participate in yet another division. However, I eventually had to leave because that denomination reached a point where it no longer had any room for the Biblical views I'd embraced about various subjects, and had instead abandoned such in favor of those wrong and secular beliefs.) I also left the Anglican Holy Order that I was a lay member of, accordingly, for the same reasons and also because part-and-parcel to the process I'd become disillusioned about so much ritual and religiousness. (Upon leaving, I wrote them about these things in the hope that it might move one or more of the members there.) While searching for a new church for a year or so, I joined a Bible study that was conducted at a Christian friend's home (attended that for about three years ), and then found and became part of that small church I mentioned in my post. I was involved there for a little over a year and a half, all-in. Then, the aforementioned (in my post) problem happened, and I ultimately moved on to another non-denominational church run by a friend of the minister who led the Bible Study, where I stayed involved actively for about a year, only leaving because I had to return home to help my mom. After returning east, I searched for a new church, eventually finding the one I've been a part of for the better part of a year now. In the meantime, I attended my old church, mainly for my mom's sake, as she wouldn't entertain any other church. I still go there to some extent because I figure it's better to keep her involved in a place where they at least have Bibles, whereas without my participation she would go less and less, if at all. It's also a place of shared history and social connection and neighborly camaraderie, which makes it a good place for her and myself in ways other than spiritual - sort of like staying on good terms with old friends you no longer agree with. However, for me, it is not really much of a spiritual connection, whereas the non-denominational church, and the small group I'm in there as well, are.
PS, I want to add that I'm sure there are Episcopal dioceses that have more traditional views observed, but where I have lived, the entire diocese is off on a tangent in that way. Also, I just really came to find such a heavy requirement of ritual problematic, so if only for that reason, I'd have had to make a shift. Not to say that all ritual is bad, but that there should be more focus on the Bible, prayer, and living out faith together.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well first off I certainly understand trying to find the right fit and of course traveling across country to be with family, that's all good and appropriate.

My recommendation right now would be for you to find a church and get planted there and serve for a good long time. Specifically find a church that closely matches what you believe and operates closest to how you want to operate (it will never be a perfect match... that's ok, good even). Then serve in any way and every way you can. Also spend time reading and following other ministers that closest resemble your calling. But, make sure first and foremost you are planted and invested in your local church.

This is how your ministry fruit will grow. If you feel called to be prophetic, plant in a prophetic church to grow prophetic fruit. If you feel called to missions, plant in a missions centered church. If you feel called to teach plant in a teaching focused church... you get the idea. When you are planted in the right soil fruit will grow more quickly and stronger.

Serve in any way you can. And I mean any way. You feel called to preach, great. Clean some bathrooms. I'm serious. Develop a servant's heart. One doesn't feel God calling them to preach, then go and print out business cards and just expect pastors/leaders to just hand them a microphone. It's a process of showing yourself faithful and trustworthy. We have to be willing to steward the vision God has given someone else before He will release you to steward yours. Ministry isn't about preaching, it's about doing what is required to reach people with God's love. My wife and I started a church from the ground up, with nothing. If bathrooms needed to be cleaned, there was no one else to do it, we had to be willing. Nothing was (or is) beneath us if it helps us reach people with the love of Christ.

When my wife and I got ordained it was very unexpected and fast. We had been faithfully serving and just doing whatever we could to help our church. We had no aspirations for it. Others first brought it up. I thought it was silly at first. Then one day my pastor approached my wife and I about ordination. He was excited to get us ordained as soon as we were ready. Less than a month later we were ordained. This was after 8 years of faithful service. That same evening there was a special event at the church where food was served. My wife and I attended that and hung around chatting long after it was done. As they were putting tables away my wife noticed the carpet was all messy from the food. You know what she did? She went and found a vacuum and started cleaning it up... same day we were ordained mind you. Recognition like ordination is not the destination, it is only the beginning of a whole new journey.

Second thing you need to do while you are planted and serving is to quietly do what you can to prepare. You feel like you are called to preach. Then write messages. Just for yourself. Don't go around advertising that you have done so, just do it so you can practice and learn. Practice preaching to stuffed animals or your family or something. Record yourself on your phone and watch it back to identify bad habits. Study the teachings of others you admire and are drawn to. Begin by imitating them, but allow your own style to develop (because it will).

When the time is right, God will open up the doors. And you will have shown faithfulness with the small things and prepared yourself in the natural as best you can which will allow you to walk through those open doors boldly, but humbly at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My view is along the same lines as Robbio and topher explained. You may have a calling from God, but that doesn't mean instantly and with whatever church will have you. First, you need to find a church that your beliefs and religious practices are compatible with.

Join it and be a regular member. Some opportunities will probably arise for service there, short of the ministry.

In several years, if nothing interferes, it might be time to investigate ordination with that denomination (or non-denominational congregation if that's the case)--according to the standards of that church.

Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

StarlynTejadas

May 27, 2020
new jersey
✟8,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find it weird that you are basing all your faith in visions. and that "speak words of knowledge to people that He would give me that no one could possibly know, in an effort to make Himself abundantly clear to them"

Jesus would never say that. I would ask you to test that spirit that "speak so much to you".

Upvote 0